1: Blinded

Oh my gosh we got half a million reads 😭 I am so beyond grateful right now! Thank you so much for taking a chance on my story angels ❤️❤️❤️

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆☽Ⓛ❈Ⓒ☾⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Leilani's POV.

The repetitive, monotone beeping of hospital machinery reaches my ears. It's a sound anyone can recognise, even if they've not been in hospital before.

Everything is dark, but it feels like my eyes are open. I try to move my fingers and I'm flooded with relief when they twitch in response. I attempt to move my toes next and luckily; they wiggle underneath the blanket.

As my focus returns, so does my memory.

It all started with an explosion.

"You know the drill, Lani. Go in, check the wounded and get out," my father lectures me as I tap my foot impatiently.

"Yeah, Dad, I know. I'll be back in ten minutes." I roll my eyes, sling my medical bag over my shoulder and turn on my heel, jogging towards the injured pack members.

At the first body I see, I kneel and feel for a pulse, cursing as I find none.

Hunters did this.

And I know my parents will make them pay for taking members of our pack from us.

The adrenaline starts coursing through me. I'm only a half-trained first responder. I can't treat these people; I can only check their injuries and get them back to the clinic. It took everything to get my parents to agree to me volunteering for this with my limited medical knowledge, but when two of our medics were injured, I was all that was left.

I run over to the first person, Yoseph, my friend's uncle. I set down my bag and grab some bandages.

"You're going to be okay, Yoseph. I'm going to wrap this wound then we're getting you out of here, okay?" I tell him and he slowly nods, gritting his teeth in pain as I begin dressing the huge gash across his stomach.

I finish quickly and tie the bandages, feeling satisfied with my work.

"We need Yoseph taken out of here now!" I shout and two guards come over with a stretcher to take him back to the practice.

I run over towards another wounded person. They say when scary things happen to you, it happens in slow motion. Well, that's not true for me.

A bomb that hadn't detonated earlier, decided that now was the time.

It explodes to the left of me, the sound unbearably loud for a second before I can no longer hear anything. I fly through the air, crash into a tree, and fall to the floor. I lay on my side, ears ringing, trying desperately to breathe after being winded. Everything aches.

Someone grabs my arm and shakes me, I can hear the muffled tones of their voice, but I can't make out the words. I realise not only can I not hear what they are saying, I can't see them either. I've opened my eyes, but everything is still black.

"I can't see, I can't see anything!" I shout, feeling panic begin to overwhelm me before I lose consciousness.

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✥⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

"Leilani?" I hear my brother's voice and turn my head in his direction. My eyes are open, and I still can't see.

"Akamai, I can't see anything," I tell him, my voice sounds unfamiliar to my ears, too hoarse and scratchy.

I feel his hand squeeze mine.