The Beauty and... the Peace?

"Look,look.It's really her!"

Hushed tones kept secrets within themselves as the servants,either the ones cleaning tha garden or the ones Chang le had seen washing at the Laundry Headquarters,their eyes were always on her.What amazed her the most was that some of the concubines who had just been snickering and joining in the commotion yesterday had even greeted her as "jiejie" (elder sister)so causually it sickened Chang le as she shuddered."Look,my lady.Why are they all gaping at you like you are new?"pointing at the trailing crowd of concubines and lower rank attendants of the Emperor with an admiring look on their beautifully-painted faces.

Crowds had started to overwhealm Chang le and her group of maids as they started pacing foward towards the Empress's Residence,The Longetivity Palace  to throw off the dertermined crowd as they  whispered:"So beautiful....","I wish i can be as smart as...."and even some ridicuolous ones like :"Will she be the next Imperial Noble Consort?"

True enough,the second Imperial Noble Consort seat (Nian was the first one)has been left vacant since the passing of the late Ling Consort,a taboo topic.But Chang le had no ulter motives but to just grab the scroll and leave this place.It was too much drama,not to mention danger here.She was sure that HanYing would come strangling her neck once the Emperor let her off.

"Say...how is Noble Consort HanYing recently...?"Chang le asked the maid on her left,Hua Xiu with geniune concern and a worried expression."Still stuck in house arrest.Apparently the Emperor is still angry about her misbehaviour."Hua Xiu answered with a thoughtful look before grabbing Chang le's arms and led her foward faster."We should not be late."and just like that,as if a celebrity with thousands of fans,the crowd continued to persist on following her all the way  to the Longetivity Palace's front door before dispersing in disappointment back to their daily routines.

Dusting off the invisible particles and making sure there were no wrinkles on her  hot pink eye-pleasing yet modest dress,one that had been chosen by her maids on the days she felt lazy or bored,Chang le put on a huge smile as she braced herself on what was about to come.She hoped that the Empress was not so low to snoop behind the Emperor's back and torture her...right?

Empress Wu ning in her regal dark blue hanfu

Chang le in her pink hanfu

Fairly simple but flattering with a embroidery piece tied around her waist

"Warm Blessings to The Motherly Empress."Chang le kneeled after her maid had done the same.Under the observing eyes of the empress,Chang le bit her lips in an attempt to contain her composure as she straightened her back."Rise,my dear."The Empress said in a assuring tone that Chang le almost wanted to run foward and hug her right-away.

"May i ask,ever so boldly the purpose of Your Majesty summoning me?"Chang le asked humbly and lowered her head,to which pleased the Empress whom broke out into a graceful smile.Empress Wu ning was known to be dignified and fair to her subjects,according to the historians and descandents.And it was proved correct when the Empress urged Chang le to not just stand there but join her in eating some cakes that she had asked the kitchen to prepare specially.Chang le's mind flashed a scene whereby the empress usually put some posion into the food of the other concubines,but she knew she couldnt just suspect her and whip out a sliver needle to test for posion!(can be used to detect posion by putting it in the food and if it turns a different colour,the food is posionous.)

"The Emperor has decided to send a few concubines along with him on his trip to the Hunting Fest held in FuZhou next week and has given me this big resposibility to choose.I dont know...if your interested?"Chang le tucked her hair behind the pockets of her ear,deep in thought as she sipped some of the fragant tea along with the empress.

"Hunting seems interesting!I would love to accept Your Majesty's gracious invitation."

It was true in what she said.Palace life was starting to get a little boring with evryone bustling with chores while the concubines just had to sit around and watch the koi fishes swim,learn flower arrangment and take little strolls in the garden.At this rate,she would die of boredom in just a few weeks.

Besides,she needed to have a few breaks as she was desperatwly trying to get more information from the enuches around about the White scroll but due to her low rank,many tended to ignore her or give her short answers.

"Good,good.I trust you,Weiyoung.You seem so different from the rest.The others just wish to pull me down from my hard-earned throne."And immediately Chang le thought of one: HanYing.Chang le returned a smile that almost reached to her eyes as she said cheerily"I wish for nothing but a peaceful life,Your Majesty."

"But what about honour for your family."The Empress peered curiously at Chang le,setting down her teacup as it clinked against the marbled table.

"Even if i am promoted,it would not really make me happy.Luxury and wealth are not my aim in life.Happiness and stability is,Your Majesty."Chang le replied not forgetting to bow her head slightly in humble respect.

"Interesting...."Wu Ning put on a sincere smile as she patted Chang le's shoulders and returned to her throne."7 Days till the Hunting Fest,I hope you will be well-prepared.." before adding ,"and return safely back home."The two beauties smiled happily at each other knowingly like new friends as Chang le excitedly returned back to the Jade Palace to prepare for the event that was coming up.