LITTLE PAKHI

Pakhi just couldn't stay still. Excitement rushed all through her, compelling her to hop. She held tight onto her father's palm, lest she fall.

They walked through the village lanes. The roads were brown and sparkling, just like her colour, flanked by a number of wells. Pakhi feared peeking in them when the water went low. However during the rains the older boys in her village swam in them, and so did many colorful frogs. Numerous attempts were made each day to catch these hopping wonders, but in vain. The frogs seemed too quick and agile for the naïve twelve year olds.

Pakhi and her friends were too young to be allowed in these boisterous activities. They would just sit sadly on the edge of the wells, in their small village in India, hoping to grow big soon. The white-haired village leader, whom they all lovingly called Dadu, usually blocked one of the well's channels. The little devils would then have the time of their life racing in their own modest pools.

Pakhi crossed many friends while on her way.

"Cummon Pakhi, join us," one of her friends yelled out.

"No, I am busy. Father is taking me to the city fair today...just like every year," Pakhi replied animatedly, adding the last bit hoping to make her friends jealous.

"Tell us if the dog chooses you this year too!"

"I will!" replied Pakhi, dancing with enthusiasm to her own tune, dragging her father forward.

At the fair her father asked her if she'd like to sit in the merry-go-round.

"I want to go to the dog..."

But before she knew it, her father picked her up and placed her in a seat, which flew high up in the sky the very next minute.

Pakhi sat grumpy the whole ride. Sensing her disappointment, her father's next stop was at the entertainer with the dog. The dog was a white Spitz, bred specially in the cities, with a red leather collar round his neck. He seemed just as excited as Pakhi, panting with his outstretched tongue, wagging his tail vigorously.

The entertainer stood at the centre playing a large wooden drum. As he stopped to speak, every child waited to hear expectantly. For a moment Pakhi's attention averted from the dog to the many vibrant colors on his turban.

The dog played his part like a professional. Folding his legs, he bowed low and sat near his master's feet. His master began to speak, words booming loud and clear, "Ladies and gentlemen, you shall now witness the most unusual event you have ever seen. My dog over here, named Moti, is very gifted and intelligent. Within seconds he will choose the prettiest child at the fair."

A large throng of fervent kids had gathered round the entertainer. After repeating himself a couple of times, he soon felt satisfied with the gathered number. Pointing at the crowd of kids he whirled his body slowly and asked his compliant follower,

"Moti, choose the child rare,

In this bustling fair."

Springing onto his feet, the dog trotted along the swarm of feet assembled in a circular formation. The kids tried to impress the dog, offering him biscuits and petting him. This was the local beauty pageant and every child wished to outshine the other.

And just like every year, the dog stopped near Pakhi's feet, folded his legs and sat down, pressing his nose close to her chappals.

The man exclaimed, "Wonderful!...You have made the right choice indeed." The crowd clapped.

Pakhi bent down to hug him.

She was so happy. The dog never disappointed her. He chose her year after year like an obedient admirer.