PANCHA NADI (THE FIVE RIVERS)

It was a time when nature behaved as it pleased. The rivers flowed on lands they desired, the mountains stood where they were closest to the skies, and the winds blew only on the green fields.

The Meluhans lived in one such prosperous land, among the fertile plains, in the north of India.

And so they prayed to mother nature for her presence, to keep her happy and content, so that they could continue to make use of her bounty.

Pleased with their devotions, the river goddesses Ghaggara and Yamuna flowed through the fertile lands, their confluence giving birth to their daughter the river Saraswati.

The young goddess symbolized beauty beyond the realms. Translucent blue skin, hair the likeness of shiny black pebbles. Her eyes were the most exquisite grey pearls, and her smile stretched from one bank to the next.

Saraswati was vibrant and playful, spreading love and cheer wherever she flowed. She traversed unknown territories turning barren lands fertile, soon becoming the favourite of the commoners, turning their land to lush green and golden.

Delighted by her humility and plenty, the Meluhans invited her everywhere, holding festivals and celebrations in her honor. Whether it was a wedding or a child's birth, Saraswati graced them all with her gracious smile and warmth.

And she did not stop at that. She helped them traverse her calm waters through boats, connecting unknown lands through bridges, carrying their spices and silk. She traversed foreign territories, speaking wonderful tales of this golden city inhabited by the Hindus.

The Meluhans witnessed such splendour like never before. Along with the abundance and rapid trade, they were creating architecture that other cities could only dream of. They had already built a massive drainage and plumbing system through their city, one of the first in all civilizations, and were pioneering complex written language and designing of tools.

The Meluhans were strong and powerful, but the bravest amongst them all was their magnificent leader, Hanuman. Blessed with several powers by sages since his birth, he was fearless and righteous, the welfare of the Meluhans being his prime objective.

The Meluhans looked upto him for advise on daily affairs, but off late, there was a grave matter that occupied the major share of his thoughts.

Angered by the devoted reverence of the Meluhans to the river goddesses, the rain god Indra vowed to teach them a lesson. Fuming with anger, he attributed his lack of popularity to the disdain of the subjects instead of his own ignorance towards them.

He invited the goddesses Ghaggara and Yamuna to his heavenly abode, treating them to a sumptuous feast.

The goddesses were greeted by beautiful maiden apsaras and musically talented gandharvas. Sweet music mixed with delicious aroma flowed along with the cool breeze, causing the long hair of the goddesses to sway slightly.

The whole city floated in the sky as if on an invisible floor. The goddesses were escorted to golden chairs nestled comfortably among the warm clouds. Indra was seated on a grand bejeweled chair himself which twinkled and sparkled among the stars. They greeted each other with folded hands and a slight bow.

The apsaras began to serve them with sweet nectar called amrit that filled the goddesses with new vigor after their long journey.

"Dear Goddesses," Indra began, "thank you for accepting my invitation. It is my privilege to have you visit my heavenly abode."

"It is our honor to visit the sky for once too," Ghaggara replied, "we are so caught up serving the earth that we have forgotten the beauty of this ethereal world."