THE ANTIDOTE

"Babe, do you want to watch an episode on Netflix together?" he asked.

"Okay, come on Rave," she texted him back.

They had met a year ago through their parents. She wore her best white dress. He brought caramel flavoured chocolates.

They hit it off instantly.

On their first date, as he watched her smile, he felt something melt inside of him. She too was completely awed by his persona and simplicity. Each was so mesmerized by the other, that they only hoped for the arrangement to work.

Being educated, successful individuals they never thought this would happen to them. And yet it did.

Love at first sight!

In fact they were so much in love that their relatives and friends refused to believe that they had never met before. Being literature buffs, they both enjoyed a similar taste in books and thought of story plots. They read and created poetry together. They enjoyed going to theaters, watching movies and most importantly talking.

He could speak his heart out to her with no fear, and she could share her wildest fantasies with him. They became each other's best friends and confidant.

As they say, Love is friendship that has caught fire.

In each other they found a loving safe place to spend the rest of their lives in peace.

They had found their home.

Before her, he had never given a serious thought to any girl. And yet it had been a year since they had met, and so he popped her the question.

"Yes," she smiled, "a hundred times!"

Once they informed their parents of their decision, there were celebrations galore. This was followed by both sides of the family buying sarees, gold jewelry, planning the marriage hall decor.

They decided to marry that summer.

"It will be so hot, you will burn."

"Why don't you both look for a date in December, it will be less troublesome, won't it?"

"Your makeup will run off with your sweat."

The comments from their well wishers had no effect on these two love birds.

They had waited long enough and wanted to marry at the earliest, so that they could begin their life together.

Until the coronavirus shattered their dreams. The public was asked to maintain social distancing. Public transport was shut. Offices and shops were closed.

Their marriage date had to be postponed indefinitely, until there were clearer guidelines on how marriage was to be conducted in these difficult times.

Quarantined in their own homes, their Indian parents wouldn't let them live together without a wedding.

Life in quarantine was depressing.

Ever since the lockdown, they were searching for new applications and methods of staying in touch virtually.

They were connected the whole day, beginning from WhatsApp calls while brushing, to Snapchatting their food pictures, playing online Chess or watching series on Rave.

'Don't take these to be

Just letters black and white

My heart is filled with you

Though you are out of sight.'

Read her text to him.

But she felt empty inside.