FOOTBALL

"Debu... Debu... go help the new Babu with his room," Debu's mother called out to him.

"Yes ma," Debu who had been playing in the verandah with his football replied. His ma had been saving up for his fancy football shoes since sometime now and had promised to give him if he continued to be a good boy.

Placing the ball in a shady corner, Debu ran to greet the new tourist.

Their spacious cottage was built on the very top of a hill in Mcleod Ganj. It was cold and quaint, offering the most magnificent view of the looming pristine mountains and the old cozy villages below.

Debu had only always seen these mountains. He was a fine lad of six, but had never really traveled outside of home, making him believe that the world was built of such gigantic mountains. He found nothing unusual about clouds entering homes, or leopards and bears dancing over rooftops in the night.

He once found a magazine with photographs of the beaches and assumed them to be of another planet.

His father was a taxi driver in the nearby city, ferrying passengers to and fro McLeod Ganj, but the income wasn't enough to raise Debu. His mom had been renting their cottage, Holiday Inn, to tourists for additional income since the past many years now. She, along with his aunt, managed the cleaning and cooking required by the tourists. They had three spare rooms which they let out on demand.

Not many tourists frequented Holiday Inn though, since it was high atop and required a great deal of climbing, unsuitable for the aged or physically weak. Holidaying families preferred the cottages at the foot of the hills, and Debu's cottage mainly witnessed an influx of hikers and athletes.

Murmuring an English song that he had picked up from the earlier traveler, Debu mirthfully went to meet the newly arrived Babu.

A hiking bag taller than his self, with sturdy comfortable shoes and loose clothes strapped all across his lean muscular body.

Another athlete.

"Welcome Babu," Debu smiled at the visitor, "I am Debu and I will take you to your room. Please follow me."

The visitor smiled back at the polite young child with innocent brown eyes and soft curling brown hair.

"My pleasure," the visitor nodded, silently following Debu to his cozy room.

For dinner, Debu's mom had cooked some traditional chicken momos and hot tangy thukpa for the visitor, which he relished with some bread in the common dining area.

Debu finished his meal quickly, wanting to join the new visitor. In the sparsely populated hills, Debu met people very rarely, and so he never missed any opportunity.

After searching for a while, Debu found the athlete standing in the balcony, admiring at the stars. Debu excitedly joined him, wondering what new tales he was soon to hear.

"Hello there Debu," the visitor ruffled Debu's hair lovingly, "your cottage is very mysterious. I have never seen the sky so full of stars ever."

"This place is very old Babu, much before you and me. My ma says that there are many spirits that get angry each time we do something wrong," Debu's small eyes widened with surprise as he animatedly spoke to the traveler.

The traveler smiled, "Call me Vikram."

"What do you do Vikram Babu?"

"I play football, for the Indian team, and a few clubs here and there."

"Wow, I love football! Ma says if I practice well she will buy me new shoes and take me to play in the city. See, I even have my own ball." Debu picked his ball from where he had earlier left it, and offered it to Vikram, holding it with both his hands.