CHAPTER 5: GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER

They arrived at Piazzale Michelangelo right on time—before the sunset took place. And now, they are currently having a random conversation under the starry sky, sitting side by side while gazing at the panoramic view of the city.

“So, you’re an accountant, huh?” Matteo asked, still having a hard time believing that an accountant who should be inside a bank or a company working her ass off is spending her time traveling back and forth instead.

“Hmm.” Ariane nodded her head even though Matteo’s gaze was not on her. “How about you?” she asked afterwards.

“I’m a chef, and I own a restaurant that runs even without me,” Matteo answered nonchalantly, making Ariane turn her gaze at him.

“Woah. I didn’t know that you knew how to cook,” Ariane commented, astonished at what she learned.

Matteo glanced at her for less than a minute, then shook his head in disbelief before looking back at the city beneath them. “Is that an insult, Ariane?”

Ariane just chuckled to tease him. “Why? Does it sound like that?” she asked while grinning.

“Not really.” Matteo gave her a nonchalant shrug.

“Then you got the answer to your own question.” Ariane grinned as she turned her gaze at the wonderful view below, just like what Matteo is currently doing.

They were both silent for more than a minute while enjoying the view beneath them when Ariane remembered something.

“By the way, I’ve noticed earlier that you are very hospitable, even to strangers. It seems like you are used to meeting different races. How many countries have you visited as of now?” Ariane asked him, curious as to why it seemed easy for him to approach strangers.

“None,” Matteo answered impassively.

Ariane’s jaw dropped at his revelation. All this time, she thought that Matteo had visited countless countries. Well, who would have thought that someone who’s very skilled at socializing with different races has never left his country?

Ariane faced Matteo, and she tried to understand the emotion on his face. “You mean, you’ve never been to any country?” she asked again to confirm if she really heard it right.

“Yeah,” was all he said, which made Ariane’s shoulder drop as well.

“How was it? Isn’t it boring being stuck in this country all your life?” Ariane asked, frowning while trying to imagine how boring it is for Matteo to just settle in his country instead of traveling and living his life to the fullest like it’s his last day on Earth.

Ariane can’t help it. She was really surprised at what she heard, and she can’t control herself anymore. Matteo aroused her curiosity and interest to the core.

“No. Not really. I’m enjoying my stay here. And besides, I don’t want to waste my time traveling to a strange country. There are more valuable things to do than to wander around the globe,” Matteo answered, and there’s no sign of regret in his voice. Just pure contentment.

“Hey, hey. Watch your words. It might backfire on you,” she facetiously warned him.

Matteo just chuckled before glancing at her to see her reaction.

“Travelling has always been fun. You get to meet different people and visit different places,” she added, serious this time to fight for her belief about traveling.

Matteo just shrugged at her defensiveness. “Well, we do have an adverse preference in life. We shouldn’t argue about this.”

Ariane went silent for a couple of seconds before she returned her gaze to the city. “Yeah, you’re right.”