CHAPTER 6: SOMETHING UNUSUAL

Ariane learned a lot of things from the Toscano household while they were having dinner. One of the things she learned while talking to Mrs. Caroline and his son, Matteo, who happened to be a year older than her, was about Matteo’s mixed blood. He’s not a full-blooded Italian, like she thought. His mom is a pure-blooded Filipina, which may be the reason why they are so hospitable.

Ariane also found out that it was the first time Matteo offered someone his service as a tour guide without anything in return. According to his mom, he only talks to strangers and gives them directions, but he never insisted on or offered someone to accept him as that person’s tour guide. And she doesn’t know the reason behind Matteo’s sudden change of behavior because she feels like she’s not in a position to ask such a question. Besides, she owes him. He deserves a ‘thank you’ from her, not a question about what he did for her.

“I am really mesmerized by the beauty of your country,” Matteo stated, his eyes twinkling in amazement.

“How?” Ariane frowned out of confusion. “I thought you hadn’t stepped out of your country ever since.”

Matteo gave her a meaningful smile before glancing at his mom from his side. “It’s mom. She told me everything about your country, from your culture and beliefs down to every tourist attraction your country has.”

“Oh.” Ariane averted her gaze from Matteo and looked at Mrs. Toscano instead. ”Do you often visit the Philippines, ma’am?”

Mrs. Toscano gave her an empty smile. “Sadly, no. It’s been more than two decades since I last visited my country. Ever since I gave birth to Emanuele, I never dreamed of going back to the Philippines. It would be hard for him to adjust to a new environment.”

“I see,” was all she could say as she looked at Mrs. Toscano sympathetically.

But in just a matter of seconds, Mrs. Toscano’s expression changed. She is now smiling happily at her, like nothing happened. She even offered her one of the foods served on the table. “Here, have some Bistecca Alla Fiorentina. It’s a Florentine steak.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” she thanked her as she took a bite at the steak that Mrs. Toscano put on her plate.

“Here. Try this too.” Matteo offered her another Italian dish that Mrs. Toscano prepared. “It’s called Trippa and Lampredotto. Trippa is the edible lining of a cow’s stomach, while Lampredotto is a cow’s fourth stomach.”

Ariane winced when she remembered what she read in an article about the dish that Matteo placed on her plate. It was said that some Italian cuisine was quite rustic, and Lampredotto is one of those.

“T-Thanks.” Ariane awkwardly smiled at Matteo before tasting the Trippa and Lampredotto.

Ariane felt surges of vomit rising from her stomach when she tasted the Trippa and Lampredotto, but she didn’t let it show on her face, forcing herself to swallow the morsel of meat.

“How was it? Does it taste good?” Matteo asked with his eyes hopeful while waiting for Ariane’s answer.

“Y-Yeah,” Ariane stuttered, and she quickly drank the wine in her glass.

“Your face says otherwise,” Mrs. Toscano remarked, followed by a faint chuckle.

“S-Sorry, ma’am. It’s just that I prefer pork over beef,” she admitted.

Ever since she was a kid, she’s not really fond of beef, regardless of how it is cooked, and Italian cuisine is no exception.

“Oh, you are just like me. But that’s Matteo’s favorite, so it’s always served on the table,” Mrs. Toscano stated.