16

they entered the class and were greeted by hyejin smiling brightly at them.

"yoongi! jimin! i heard they served pork cutlets earlier for lunch. it's a pity i didn't get to try them." she pouted and showed them her assignment.

"i was too busy completing this that i didn't have time to have my lunch."

yoongi looked at his watch and turned to her, "there's still time before class starts, though."

she shook her head and smiled, "nah, that's fine. i don't really feel hungry either. i can just try them next time."

jimin pulled his seat back and sat facing yoongi and hyejin.

"you should face front, jimin. the teacher could come in any time now." hyejin 'shoo'ed him by flailing her hands in front of him.

jimin scratched his head, "uhh, i just— you know— i mean..."

"he heard us talking earlier." yoongi blurted out, feeling slightly guilty.

hyejin tilted her head in confusion, "huh??"

jimin breathed out heavily, "it wasn't intentional. i mean, i literally sit in front of you guys and you were pretty loud. but i promise i won't tell anyone!"

he continued, "i'm not trying to sound rude but, if you're ever in need of money, i could lend you some."

hyejin stared at jimin with an unreadable expression, "i—... don't." she sighed.

"what?"

"just, i don't want you to start viewing me differently." she looked down.

"i want people to treat me like a normal person. i hate it when they show pity towards me. it just makes me feel more miserable."

"ah— i'm sorry, i didn't mean to make you feel that way." jimin pursed his lips, instantly regretting his words earlier.

"i was just trying to help." he continued in an undertone.

"the same goes to you, yoongi. i know you're just helping me out of pity. don't take me wrongly, i appreciate your help. i really do. but it doesn't make me feel good, knowing what your intentions are." she confessed, still looking down.

yoongi frowned, feeling wronged, "no, it's not like that at all. i truly wanna help you, and it's not out of pity. you're practically my friend now, and it's only right for me to help you, don't you think?"

jimin nodded vigorously, "he's right."

at that moment, mr. kim entered the class and ordered everyone to return to their original seats, which left their conversation hanging.

-

the school bell rang and it was finally time to go home.

hyejin was quiet during the entire bus ride. yoongi and jimin sat next to each other, silently watching hyejin who was seated at the front.

finally jimin broke the silence, "...it looks like she's avoiding us."

yoongi kept quiet for a while before answering, "yeah, but why?"