Sally Becomes Queen

After these things, when the wrath of King Sonic subsided, he remembered Amy, what she had done, and what had been decreed against her. Then King Sonic's servants who attended him said: "Let beautiful young virgins be sought for the king; and let the king appoint officers in all the provinces of his kingdom, that they may gather all the beautiful young virgins toShushan the citadel, into the women's quarters, under the custody of Shadow the king's eunuch, custodian of the women. And let beauty preparations be given them. Then let the young woman who pleases the king be queen instead of Amy." This thing pleased King Sonic, and he did so. In Green Hill there was a certain Mobian whose name was Elias the son of Nigel, the son of Fredrick, an Acorn. Fredrick had been carried away from Jerusalem with the captives who had been captured with Alexander king of Mobians, whom Drago the king of Pride had carried away. And Elias had brought up Alicia, that is, Sally, his uncle's daughter, for she had neither father nor mother. The young woman was lovely and beautiful. When her father and mother died, Elias took her as his own daughter. So it was, when King Sonic commands and decree were heard, and when many young women were gathered at Green Hill, under the custody of Shadow, that Sally also was taken to King Sonic's palace, into the care of Shadow the custodian of the women. Now the young woman pleased him, and she obtained his favor; so he readily gave beauty preparations to her, besides her allowance. Then seven choice maidservants were provided for her from King Sonic's palace, and he moved her and her maidservants to the best place in the house of the women.Sally had not revealed her people or family, for Elias had charged her not to reveal it. And every day Elias paced in front of the court of the women's quarters, to learn of Sally's welfare and what was happening to her. Each young woman's turn came to go in to King Sonic after she had completed twelve months' preparation, according to the regulations for the women, for thus were the days of their preparation apportioned: six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with perfumes and preparations for beautifying women. Thus prepared, each young woman went to the king, and she was given whatever she desired to take with her from the women's quarters to King Sonic's palace. In the evening she went, and in the morning she returned to the second house of the women, to the custody of Antoine, King Sonic's eunuch who kept the concubines. She would not go in to the king again unless the king delighted in her and called for her by name. Now when the turn came for Sally the daughter of Max the uncle of Elias, who had taken her as his daughter, to go in to the king, she requested nothing but what Shadow the king's eunuch, the custodian of the women, advised. And Sally obtained favor in the sight of all who saw her. So Sally was taken to King Sonic, into his royal palace, in the tenth month, which is the month of Tebeth, in the seventh year of his reign. King Sonic loved Sally more than all the other women, and she obtained grace and favor in his sight more than all the virgins; so he set the royal crown upon her head and made her queen instead of Amy.Then King Sonic made a great feast, the Feast of Sally, for all his officials and servants; and he proclaimed a holiday in the provinces and gave gifts according to the generosity of a king.