4. Meddling

"I should head home." Shikamaru sighed, getting up from his position on the grass. He looked down at Naruto who gazed up at him, then offered a hand. "You comin'?"

"Yeah, thanks." Naruto took Shikamaru's hand, letting go once he was fully standing. The pair were silent for a few moments, neither wanting their time together to end.

"Well c'mon, you said you'd walk me home didn't you?" Shikamaru turned and began heading down the hill, trying not to stumble on the gaps of dirt hidden by the grass. Naruto stared at Shikamaru's figure before smiling and beginning his journey down alongside his friend. 

The walk to the Nara compound was pretty silent, a few comments here and there but for the most part the boys didn't speak. As the location came into view, Shikamaru felt himself become overwhelmed with a wave of exhaustion. The day was filled with fun, and Shikamaru wouldn't change a thing about it, but it did take a toll on the brunette. As the two reached the main gates leading into the compound they paused. 

Shikamaru was about to open his mouth to bid farewell to the blonde, but stopped as he felt Naruto place a hand on his shoulder. Shikamaru looked over at Naruto, waiting for the boy to speak.

"Thank you for inviting me out today Shikamaru. It's, um, been a while since I've been able to enjoy myself." Naruto looked down, removing his hand from Shikamaru's shoulder. Despite the fun he had had with the Nara, Naruto never really forgot about the suggestion Shikamaru had offered. The idea of opening up to someone was foreign to him, but he felt that he could trust Shikamaru. However, Naruto wasn't ready to spill everything just yet, hell he didn't even really know what 'everything' was, so he opted to slide in the fact that he hadn't been feeling so great lately. 

"No problem, I enjoyed spending time with you too." Shikamaru noted Naruto's nervousness, thus he decided not to pry, worried he'd unintentionally push the blonde away. "I'm usually free to laze around, so if you want to hang out again, I'll be here." Shikamaru once again found himself offering the boy a reassuring smile, seemingly leading Naruto to brighten up upon seeing it. Shikamaru had come to the conclusion that the action helps calm the other's nerves. So, although not really his "style", Shikamaru decided he would display the specific expression more whenever he was around Naruto, a simple gesture was all it was. Just, helping a friend relax.

"I'll consider it." Naruto grinned, staring at Shikamaru before shoving his hands in his pockets as a way to compose himself. "I should get going, I have some stuff I gotta do in the morning—which I sadly can't brush off like I did today." He sighed, slouching forward as he grew tired just from the thought of waking up early. 

Shikamaru nodded, then patted Naruto on the back before replying, "Good luck, get some rest." 

Naruto threw up a weak thumbs up before turning and trudging in the direction of his home. Shikamaru watched him, a soft smile present on his face. As he turned towards his own home, he noticed some lights were still on. His eyes widened a bit as he looked down at the grass stains covering his clothes. Move quickly and she won't be able to see them, he thought, heading inside. He placed his shoes neatly by the door before rushing into his room just a second before his mother began to call his name. 

He quickly changed out of his clothes and into some fresh ones before walking out, making sure to hide the stained laundry. As he entered the kitchen, he saw his mom sitting at the table looking over at him, a few letters spread out in front of her. Shikamaru groaned, already knowing what this was about. 

"Come here! Take a seat!" She motioned to the empty chair beside her, before gathering the letters, placing them in a neat pile. Shikamaru did as he was told, taking a seat beside his mom, slowly looking from the letters to her face. 

"So, Shikamaru, tell me. Why haven't you been writing Temari back?" 

"Why would I?" He stared at her before rubbing his eyes. He just wanted to go to bed. 

"Because Shikamaru! She's a sweet girl, that wants to get to know you. How do you expect to woo her if you don't write back!"

"I don't want to 'woo' her. I don't even know why she's been writing me, the only time we've really spoken was when I was ordered to be her escort during the Chunin Exams." Shikamaru yawned, "And it's not like the village is doing anything big soon anyway. At least nothing concerning the Sand." 

"Shikamaru, you are such an idiot!" She smacked the back of his head before continuing. "She just wants to get closer to you! Can't you at least try?" She held up the letters, practically forcing them into his hands. 

Shikamaru sighed, he just wanted this conversation to end. "Fine." He mumbled, fully taking the letters before standing up. "Is that all you wanted to speak to me about?" He looked over at his mother, pushing his chair in.

"Yep!" She nodded, smiling widely. She suddenly became serious and stared up at Shikamaru, lifting a finger. "You better write back, or I'll just take matters into my own hands." 

Shikamaru sighed, scratching the back of his head. "Yeah yeah." He turned away, heading back to his room. 

"You'll thank me laterrr!" His mother called after him, a smile clearly heard in her voice. 

Shikamaru shut his door behind him, taking a second to compose himself before walking over to his bed. As he passed his desk he tossed the letters onto the surface, not caring if they fell onto the floor. He flopped onto his bed, lazily throwing the covers onto himself before shutting his eyes. As he tried to drift to sleep, his mind began replaying the days events. He sighed in content before snuggling deeper into his pillow, sleep overtaking him.