7. Trust

"Why would I be?" Shikamaru deadpanned, looking back down at the bag in his hands, beginning to struggle to find space for all the food.

"Well, with the Kazekage comes his siblings. One of which seems to be very fond of you." Choji  responded, heading over to where Shikamaru was struggling, taking the bag from his friend.

Shikamaru followed Choji to the door, nodding at the fathers still sitting in the living room as he passed by. "It shouldn't be too difficult to avoid her." He shrugged, slipping on his shoes.

"I don't doubt your ability to do that, you are pretty good at disappearing." Choji grinned, opening the door for the two before shutting it as they stepped out. "You don't think she'll ask me about your whereabouts do you?" The Akimichi became nervous, turning to Shikamaru, fearing the Sand nin.

"I think you're one of the first people she'd go to." Shikamaru stared ahead, before adding, "You'll just have to disappear with me." He turned to face Choji, smirking as they continued walking. 

"We'll need to first figure out when she's coming, your dad probably knows right?" 

"Yeah, I'll ask him once I get home. I've also got to find a new place in the village to hide away. Normally, I'd just head to the forest our clan owns but even with the rule of no outsiders coming in I'm sure that won't stop Temari. Especially since she has my mother's support. But with the forest out, and the rooftop being too obvious. Where do I go?" Shikamaru furrowed his eyebrows, racking his brain for a new location.

Choji smiled at his friend, he enjoyed the moments where Shikamaru rambled out his thoughts. It was as though he were given a pass to peer into the genius' mind. It wasn't a common occurrence, he took it as a sign of trust and so, Choji was filled with joy every time it happened. 

"I'm sure you'll find a place, I'll help! But if it comes down to it, we may just have to flee the village." He laughed, opening up a bag of potato chips.

"Are you okay with doing that?" Shikamaru whipped his head to the side, genuinely considering the idea. 

Choji waved a hand, "Sure sure, but I don't think we'll really have to." He chuckled, lifting a chip up to Shikamaru's mouth as the other instinctively bit down on it.

"Do you really not like Temari that much?" 

Shikamaru placed his hands in his pockets, sighing. "She's pretty, but so troublesome, plus there's other things that are getting in the way. I'm just..really confused right now."

Choji glanced over at him, it wasn't everyday that Shikamaru became confused. But, as this was something that had to do with relationships, Choji could understand how it could all be so new and confusing. 

"Want to talk about it?" 

"Not right now. I need to understand some things first." 

"Okay." Choji nodded, beginning to eat his chips once again. 

Deep down Shikamaru knew what was going on but he didn't want to face it. It would bring too much trouble. Maybe just settling down with Temari would be best. He thought. He knew that wasn't what he really wanted but sometimes you can't always get what you want right? 

He sighed, tilting his head back as he stared up at the clouds.

Choji, noticing this, walked a bit closer to the Nara, he would help steer him away from any obstacles in their path as his friend watched the clouds. He must have a lot on his mind, he thought, At times like these I can only help by not letting anything bother him while he figures it out. Choji swerved them around a bit while he tried not to be noticed by their friends walking around the village.

"If only we were sent on a mission like Naruto's. We wouldn't have to be here for the visit." Choji piped up, before adding, "Although the Kazekage does bring nice gifts whenever he comes by." He grinned thinking of the Sand delicacies that follow with each visit. 

"A mission like Naruto's huh." Shikamaru thought aloud, his mind going through their memories. He raised his eyebrows as he remembered Naruto's letter, specifically his invite to hang out once he got back. He turned his head to look at Choji, who led them over to a familiar building. Releasing his hold on Shikamaru before holding the door open for him.

"Oh, by the way, have you heard from Naruto?" Shikamaru found himself questioning Choji, walking inside, curious as to if the blonde had sent anyone else any letters. 

"Mmm, no he hasn't contacted me. He's probably too busy with his mission, plus he's not one to send letters. He's got zero to no patience." Choji responded, leading the way to the rooftop. 

"Yeah, you're right." Shikamaru agreed before once again going silent as he got lost in his thoughts. 

By the time he snapped out of his trance the two were already sitting on the platform, Choji was snacking on his chips beside him, the soft sound relaxed the Nara. He had heard it so many times, it just became a reassurance of sorts. It was moments like these where he thought just how grateful he was to have Choji by his side. 

Despite his previous thoughts of wanting to simply forget about the feelings he had unwillingly developed for a certain village idiot, he decided if anyone were to know about them it should be his best friend. Even if he never commits to going after Naruto, Shikamaru wanted to relay the discovery he had made about himself to Choji. He trusted him, and valued his opinion more than anyone else's. 

"Choji." Shikamaru stated, staring at the clouds in front of him. 

"Hm?" Choji stopped eating, placing the bag down before turning to Shikamaru. "What is it?" 

Shikamaru took a deep breath, not particularly nervous, more just bothered by how much work it was to say a few simple words. 

"I think I have feelings for Naruto."