12. Your Warmth

"Shouldn't you go back home? It's getting pretty late, plus cold out." Naruto pointed his thumb behind him, tilting his head to the side a bit.

Shikamaru brought a hand up to his mouth, yawning before replying, "Nah, I'd just be lectured if I go back now. Plus, I'd rather hang out with you." 

He turned and continued walking down the street, silently cursing at the cold temperature. 

Naruto fought the large grin threatening to break out onto his face. He followed Shikamaru to a short wall lining the road, on which the brunette proceeded to plop down. 

Naruto took a seat, barely having any time to get comfortable before he felt Shikamaru scoot closer, their legs now pressed together.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise, chewing on his bottom lip as he tried to calm himself.

This is perfectly normal, friendship type behavior. Mhm..

"It's so fucking cold."  Shikamaru mumbled, shivering as he crossed his arms, trying to preserve any heat he could. 

Naruto nudged the Nara's shoulder with his own. Looking over at him, he raised an eyebrow as he spoke. "Why don't you put your hands in your pockets?" 

Shikamaru continued staring straight ahead as he lifted an arm, revealing his jacket had no pockets. 

"Pants?" 

"The fabric's too thin to do much." 

He brought his hands up to his mouth, cupping them around it as he attempted to warm them up with his breath.

Naruto watched as Shikamaru did this, before turning away and looking down at his own hands. 

He began to vigorously rub them together, causing their temperature to quickly rise. He then turned to Shikamaru, swiftly clasping the other's hands in his own, before grinning up at him.

Shikamaru smiled as his hands began to heat up. He met Naruto's gaze before looking back down at their hands. 

"Thanks." 

Naruto nodded his head, "Mm."

They stayed that way for a few moments before the friction induced heat began to fade away.

"Ah, hold on." Naruto spoke up, letting go of Shikamaru's hands as he dug through his jacket pocket, taking out a few pieces of trash and moving them to the other side.

Shikamaru kept his hands in the air, still pressed together as they were when in-between Naruto's. A confused gaze had nestled onto his face as he watched Naruto mess around with his pocket.

"Here." Naruto murmured quietly, taking Shikamaru's left hand and placing it in his pocket. 

He held the right one in his own for a bit, furrowing his brows as he thought of where to place it.

Shikamaru watched Naruto, his eyes slightly widened as he gazed at their hands. Naruto's hand was rough, yet his hold was surprisingly gentle. He felt a sudden warmth creep onto his cheeks. Worried Naruto would witness this, he turned to the side and feigned a cough, removing his hand from Naruto's grasp in the process.

Naruto, now realizing how long he had been holding Shikamaru's hand, turned away as well, embarrassment evident on his face. He rubbed the back of his neck, noticing Shikamaru's left hand was still nestled in his pocket.

Friends..help..keep each other's hands warm. Mhm mhm.

Naruto shut his eyes, nodding along with his thoughts as he tried to brush off his embarrassment.

"What are you doing?" 

Naruto eyes shot open. He turned to look at Shikamaru, who's face wore his usual expression.

"Nothing..just..thinking."

He averted his gaze, racking his brain for something that would help get the pressure off him.

Naruto looked down at his lap, playing with his fingers before reluctantly speaking up. "So, how'd your date with Temari go?"

Shikamaru groaned, removing his hand from Naruto's pocket. He wrapped the now warm hand around his trembling right hand, trying to heat the other up.

Naruto looked over as he did this, disappointment flashing onto his face before returning to a neutral expression. 

"It was less of a date, more of a..forced hangout." Shikamaru smiled over at Naruto, before turning back to staring straight ahead into the dark street in front of them. 

"Forced?" Naruto masked his relief with a questioning tone, leaning over as he began kicking at the pebbles near his feet, smile tugging at his lips.

"Mm, my mom's more into her than I am." Shikamaru shrugged, shivering once more before pushing himself off the wall.

"Ready to go back?" Naruto looked up at him, putting his arms above his head as he stretched.

"Yeah, I've reached my limit. I can't stand this cold anymore." He rubbed his arms trying to heat them up as best he could.

Naruto stood from the wall, placing a hand on Shikamaru's back as he gave him a gentle nudge to start walking.

A few beats of silence followed, Naruto lost in his thoughts while Shikamaru continued attempting to raise his overall temperature.

"What about the flowers?" Naruto suddenly questioned. Judging from his expression, it was as though he had accidentally spoke his thoughts aloud.

Shikamaru looked over at him, "Huh? Flowers?" 

He was silent for a few seconds as he thought of what flowers could be pertaining to, before raising his eyebrows in realization.

"Ah, I was picking those up for my mom. I'm pretty sure she set the whole thing up just to get me alone with Temari." 

Naruto nodded, "Your mom really wants you two to get together then huh?" There was a hint of sadness in his voice, one Naruto himself didn't even realize was there.

Shikamaru turned to face Naruto, he opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by the blonde.

"Oh hey, we're here." Naruto looked to the side, having a clear view of Shikamaru's home.

"Huh, oh. Yeah you're right. Thanks for walking me home." Shikamaru placed his hands in his pockets, grimacing at the cold cloth against his skin. 

"No problem! It was fun." Naruto smiled, genuinely glad he had been given the chance to spend time together with Shikamaru.

"Yeah it was. Oh, even though my mom's into the idea, I'm really not all that attracted to Temari ya know." Shikamaru picked at the lint in his pockets, returning the smile.

"But.." Shikamaru paused, "I do quite like her blonde hair."

Naruto raised his eyebrows, smile never leaving his face. "You into blondes Shikamaru?"

Shikamaru locked eyes with Naruto, smile growing as he responded.

"I just might be."