9. Bothersome

Temari stood in front of Shikamaru, hands placed behind her back as she smiled sweetly at the tired boy.

"It's good to see you Shika." 

Shikamaru cringed at her use of the nickname. The only person who had ever bothered to use it was Choji, which stemmed from their days spent together as kids. It was special to him, thus hearing it come from the one person he wanted to avoid at all costs made him uncomfortable to say the least.

"Likewise. I need to get going now." Shikamaru tried to escape the encounter, already beginning to walk past Temari. He had just gotten a few steps past her when he felt himself being tugged backward. 

Temari looked up at him, hands wrapped around his forearm. "Come and walk me to the Hokage's Mansion will ya?" She tilted her head in its direction, not loosening her grip. 

Shikamaru sighed, he knew he wasn't going to be able to easily get out of this. 

"Fine." He turned around and began walking to the building, Temari by his side, still holding onto him.  

As they reached their destination Shikamaru shook her off, placing his hands in his pockets. 

"Well, I'll be going now." He turned on his heel, ready to find Choji and escape the village.

"Wait!" Temari held up a hand, glancing around as she tried to think of a way to keep him with her. "The Hokage wants to speak to you as well." 

Shikamaru tilted his head back, looking up at the sky as he internally groaned. After a few moments of staring, he turned back around and made his way inside, Temari following close behind.

He stepped into the Hokage's office after knocking, becoming more irritated by the second. 

"Ah, Temari, Shikamaru. What good timing." Tsunade looked over at the two, papers in hand. 

"You wanted to speak with me?" Shikamaru focused on normalizing his tone, not wanting to be told off for giving attitude. 

"I did?" Tsunade responded, thinking for a second before adding, "I don't remember calling for you, but now that you're here I do have something I need you to do for me." 

Shikamaru slightly furrowed his eyebrows, "What is it?" 

"Since you're already here I need you to be Temari's escort throughout the Kazekage's stay. Don't look at me with such a blank expression, it'll only be for a day or two." She waved a hand, turning away from the two as she placed the papers down onto her desk. 

Temari suppressed a grin, Well this worked out very nicely. 

Shikamaru continued staring at the Hokage, at a loss for words. Once she turned back around, he simply nodded and exited the office. As he made his way down the stairs he thought to himself, Is the world against me? Is this a sign that I'm supposed to be with Temari or something? First my mother, then the chance encounter, and now this assignment. Am I cursed? 

He was so lost in his thoughts he hadn't heard Temari calling after him.

"Shika! Shikaa! Shikamaru!" She grabbed him by the shoulder, turning him around to face her. 

"What now?" He was tired of everything going on around him, he just wanted to sleep and deal with this all later, or never, either works. 

"Will you walk me to the hotel please." She averted her gaze, showing him a shy smile as she interlocked their arms. 

Shikamaru unsuccessfully tried to squirm away, before giving up as she held her ground. 

"Fine." 

They walked through the village, arms linked. Well, it was more Temari dragging Shikamaru around, while he distracted himself with the sky. It had become darker, the sun was slowly setting.

"Shika, we're here ya know." Temari let go of him, placing a hand on her hip. 

"Oh, you're right. Well, bye." Shikamaru brought up a hand, quickly turning around and running off before she got the chance to grab him once more.

Temari watched him run away, before smirking, You were right Yoshino-san, he's very shy. But, I enjoy a challenge. 

Shikamaru swiftly entered his home, immediately losing all his previous energy as he stepped into the hallway. He went straight to his room, trudging over to his bed. As he passed his desk, he immediately perked up upon seeing an orange envelope sitting on the wood.

He picked it up, climbing onto his bed as he carefully tore it open. He grinned as he was welcomed by Naruto's handwriting. 

Thank god you're still willing to hang out with me. I think I'll be back soon, which is the only thing keeping me going. It feels like we've been travellin' for YEARS. As soon as I get back you better be ready to nap the day away my friend. Pile up on snacks too >:O!

-Naruto

Shikamaru set the letter to the side as he laid himself back onto his bed. He stared up at the ceiling, grin widening as he thought of spending another day with Naruto. Just the two of them, enjoying their time together, not a care in the world. He turned to the side, shutting his eyes as he created vivid images of his last encounter with Naruto. 

The next day Shikamaru awoke to the sound of laughter coming from the kitchen. 

Why are they being so loud this early in the morning. He thought, groaning as he shoved his face into his pillow, attempting to drown out the voices.

 He had just begun falling back asleep when he heard his name being called. 

"Oh my god." He grumbled, sitting up as he rubbed his eyes. He got out of bed and headed to the kitchen, keeping his eyes a bit shut as he tried to preserve any sleepiness he could. 

He rubbed the back of his neck, leaning in the doorway, "Yes?" 

"Good morning Shikamaru!" His mother greeted him, sitting at the table, tea in hand. 

As his eyes adjusted he noticed the other person at the table, staring right at him. 

"Good morning Shika." Temari smiled, lifting her tea up to her lips. 

Shikamaru stared at the two, trying to mask his disgust. 

"Hello, you two."

His mother wiggled her eyebrows at him, slightly nodding her head over to Temari. 

Shikamaru gave her a dead stare, wanting this to be over with.

"Shikamaru, would you be a dear and pick up some flowers I ordered?" Yoshino placed her hand on her cheek, "I would go myself but I'm so busy with chores around the house!"

Shikamaru decided not to call out his mother on her lies, instead he just agreed turning back around and heading into his room to change.