CH 13: Behind the screen

"I know how to use a computer, Bruce. That's why I'm doing this, remember?" Dick protested, annoyance all too clear in his tone as Bruce explained for what felt like the tenth time how all of the Batcave computers functioned. "And I didn't get amnesia either. You covered all this stuff in basic training before you let me on the streets when I was eight. I've practically been raised using these computers."

Bruce frowned down at him, worry clear in his gaze. "I know, I know, but... you've been gone for a while. I just want to make sure that you're comfortable with everything. I don't want you to strain yourself."

"Strain myself? Literally all I'll be doing is typing."

Tim rolled his eyes, pushing away from where he had been leaning against a wall and coming to stand next to the youngest bat-sibling. "Bruce, you haven't changed anything in here since you became Batman. I mean, maybe tech upgrades, but the placement has never changed. Dick could probably navigate around everything blindfolded. Heck, I bet even Jason could, and Jason actually died."

"I heard Jason. You fuckers talking about me?"

Dick groaned, turning to glare at Jason as he waltzed into the room to join them by the computers. "Why is everyone here? Everyone does not need to be here. This is not some kind of family reunion. I'm just refamiliarizing myself with the tech."

"Dick's right. You two do not need to be here." Bruce agreed, a bit huffy that his assistance also did not seem required. "Dick and I need to focus."

"Yeah right. The only thing you're doing here is annoying the midget."

"Hey! Just because I'm in a wheelchair does not mean I'm short. I've grown since you died."

Jason rolled his eyes, arms crossing over his chest as he quirked one eyebrow at his younger brother. "Oh really? Because I saw your hospital records, Dickie-bird. If anything, you've shrunk. Five foot five. Midget."

"Ace, attack." Dick instructed, pointing at Jason. The puppy lifted his head from where he had been sleeping on the floor, eyeing Jason for a moment before yawning loudly and dropping his head back down to rest on his paws once more, promptly falling back to sleep. Dick pouted, glaring at Jason when the other male broke down into a fit of obnoxious laughter.

"You were going to set the puppy on me? The puppy?" Jason gasped out, clutching at his stomach as he continued to laugh.

"Shut up."

"Awe, is the little baby offended~?"

"I thought this was supposed to be training?" Damian asked, confusion evident on his tone and face as he stepped out of the elevator and made his way over to the seemingly ever-growing circle of family members. "Why is Todd even down here? I thought he was banned from the cave..."

Dick turned pleading eyes toward his oldest brother. "Dami! Jason is being a jerk. Tell him I'm not that short."

"There's no denying the truth, midget." Jason retorted, still recovering from his fit of laughter. "No one can ban me from anything. I go where I want to go, bitches."

Damian looked over at Bruce, raising one eyebrow. "I take it training is not going well?"

"Hardly." Bruce admitted. If Dick did not know better, he would think Bruce was pouting. "If you would all just leave and let me train Dick, that would be great."

"I told you. I don't need training, Bruce. It's a computer. I know how it works. I know how to access your data files. I know how to hack things. Literally all I'll be doing is sitting at the computer and giving you guys information. It's not that hard." Dick protested, frustration returning in full force. "If I get it wrong, you guys can just ignore me."