⚪The Elite Dinner

Listen to "Beautiful People" by Ed Sheeran.

⚪⚪⚪

|Thurs., Feb. 6th
|7:18 pm

Chad Blakeson, with his wife and entourage, shook hands with the Preston Ambassadors. The mayor-elect was all smiles, dressed in a stylish burgundy two-piece suit and black brogues to match for the formal dinner tonight.

At a meeting of this calibre, people strived to create long lasting friendship and give good impressions, and in spite of the fear and tension that hung in the air, everyone beamed with smiles and maintained a pleasant outward show.

Stowe, Kim as Kylie, and Neil Blakeson were present too, exchanging pleasantries with the dignitaries and wealthy influencers of LakeVille and other cities abroad.

The dinner was being held at the Preston Embassy in LakeVille, an excuse to party and flaunt wealth, and an avenue to rally support for business ventures.

There was tight security in the arena, what with the assassination of Andy Alvarez recently, and many similar tragedies the police had discovered and now brought into focus.

The LakeVille police had contacted the Preston County and Flyridan Bureau for Criminal Investigation (FBCI) and the curfew was replaced from 10pm till 7am.

Kim sat with Neil, Stowe, Neil's friend, Will Fletcher, and his family at a large table specially prepared for them. The Chief of Police sat few tables away.

Their table talked about business and all, and she was getting bored. Stowe placed a hand on hers under the table and squeezed, giving her a sympathetic smile. Kim just shook her head and sipped her wine.

She looked straight ahead, past Will's head, and her eyes met Gabrielle's hateful ones over the rim of her wine glass.

The blonde averted her eyes quickly and turned to answer something Chad Blakeson had asked her. She stopped her glass midair, in surprise.

She was affiliated with Chad Blakeson? She asked loudly in her head. Could she be his daughter?

She turned to Stowe.

"The blonde girl at the table with Chad Blakeson... Is that his daughter?" She inquired.

"No, that's his wife. I know right, it never doesn't make me wonder too..." Kim zoned out in total disbelief of what she was hearing.

Gabrielle's eyes wandered about the room, taking in everything. She didn't want to be here tonight but Chad had forced her. She wondered what people thought of her presence and she was sure they were talking about her, but no-one was brave enough to step up.

They must wonder how desperate she was for comfort and fame, to have married a man old enough to be her father at eighteen years of age. If only they knew she was just a pawn in Chad's hands and she had no real place in his life.

While Neil Blakeson kept her to keep Chad in check, Chad kept her to keep Kylie in sight. Kylie, the dream girl who overshadowed her. Kylie, Chad's obsession. Kylie, Neil's beloved.

If only they knew her life turned around for the worst the fateful morning her father passed on, they wouldn't glance at her and say hurtful things. Everyone had a story, so they shouldn't judge her. She was free to be insecure, and free to overcome it.

She heard Chad asking her something and she was snapped out of her thoughts. She stayed put for a while and took in for a split second before looking away in surprise, Kylie staring at her over her goblet. She didn't realise she had been staring while her thoughts ran through her mind.

"Yes, sir?"

"What are you thinking about?" Chad demanded coolly.

"Nothing."

Chad grabbed her arm firmly, causing her to wince in pain. He wore a smile but ground out through gritted teeth, "What are you thinking about?"

She gritted her teeth and spat an answer, "It's just... Kylie looks really pretty tonight," she answered.

He raised a brow for her to say more, the smile still on his face, "I was thinking about... going to talk to her."

His grip tightened and loosened.

"Ahhh. Well." Chad said, still smiling and looking over at the table where Kim sat.

Kim gazed back at Chad Blakeson in surprise. She couldn't believe Chad Blakeson was staring right at her and smiling too as if he was really pleased by her appearance. The power of make-up of course, for he'd hang himself if he knew the real beast she was. She looked away quickly when she realised Gabrielle was staring at her resentfully.

She focused her eyes on the commotion that was brewing at the exit of the hall. An old woman in faded green T-shirt and striped culottes was struggling with the security and yelling at the top of her lungs. She spoke with a lisp.

"Ack! Mitch, you bastard!" She screamed. Mitch was making his way towards her. "You... you're here partying.... and my son is nowhere to be found! Let go of me!"

Mitch begged the men to leave her. "Let go of her. Consuelo, calm down."

A punch stunned Mitch's chin the moment they let go. The security men grabbed the woman again and carted her out before she could throw another punch. Mitch followed them out with some other policemen, visibly disturbed.

As the MC went up to address everyone, Kim realised that was Andy's mother, and tears came to her eyes.

Author's note

I feel under the weather,
Because of the weather,
But I hope I get better,
'Cause being sick is the worst thing ever.

Lol, I write poems and epistles too.

Please don't forget to vote ⭐(it won't take a second), share🖇️, and comment 💬 your thoughts so I can know them. I read them and naturally, I respond.
Love y'all.