Chapter Four - Rising Threat

After meeting with Qrow Branwen, Obi-Wan met with Ozpin's inner circle to discuss Qrow's findings. The conversation soon turned south. Ozpin and Obi-Wan managed to calm the situation.

Obi-Wan: We have must bigger things to worry about. Bickering about a brawl is pointless.

Ironwood then turned his ire to Qrow.

Ironwood: You've been out of contact for weeks! You can't just go dark like that in the field!

Qrow: I'm not one of your special operatives, Jimmy!

Winter: General.

Qrow: Whatever. You sent me to get intel on our enemy, and I'm telling you, our enemy is here.

Ironwood: We know.

Qrow: Oh! Oh, you know! Well, thank goodness I'm out there risking my life to keep you all informed!

Ironwood: Qrow....

Qrow: Communication's a two-way street, pal. You see this? That's the SEND button.

Winter: They had reason to assume you'd been compromised.

Qrow: And I have reason to assume you don't need to be here. Seriously, who invited her?

At that point, Ironwood had dismissed Winter, leaving the inner circle to discuss Qrow's findings. In that moment, the tension in the room was only slightly defused.

Ironwood: Go on. 

Qrow: Your little infiltrator isn't just another pawn. They're the one responsible for Autumn's condition.

Goodwitch: What?

Qrow: Despite what the world thinks, we're not just teachers, or generals, or headmasters. The people in this room, the leaders of the other academies, we're the ones that keep the world safe from the evils no one even knows about! It's why we meet behind closed doors, why we work in the shadows. So you tell me, James, when you brought your army to Vale, did you think you were being discreet, or did you just not give a damn!?

Obi-Wan: I would have to agree with Qrow on this. Bringing an army to Vale would no doubt alert our enemy. Perhaps even embolden our enemies.

Ironwood: Discreet wasn't working. I'm here because this is what was necessary.

Obi-Wan became more wary of Ironwood's intentions. Seeing Ironwood bringing an army to an academy of students deeply concerned Obi-Wan. 

Qrow: You're here because Ozpin wanted you here! He made you a part of this inner circle and opened your eyes to the real fight that's in front of us!

Ironwood: And I am grateful.

Qrow: Oh, well, you've got a real funny way of showing it.

Ironwood: The people of Vale needed someone to protect them; someone who would act. When they look to the sky and see my fleet, they feel safe, and our enemies will feel our strength.

Upon hearing Ironwood's approach, Qrow laughs.

Qrow: You. You think they're scared of your little ships? I've been out there and I've seen the things she's made, and let me tell you - they are fear.

Obi-Wan: If this threat is every bit as dangerous as Qrow is suggesting, then the full might of the Atlesian Military won't do anything except maybe be a minor annoyance to our enemy. 

Ozpin: And fear will bring the Grimm. A guardian is a symbol of comfort. But an army is a symbol of conflict. There's an energy in the air now, a question in the back of everyone's minds...if this is the size of our defenses, then what is it we're expecting to fight?

At this point, Ironwood became annoyed at the actions Ozpin is suggesting. 

Ironwood: So then, what would you suggest we do?

Ozpin: I suggest we find our guardian.

Obi-Wan: And where will we find this guardian? 

Ozpin: Come with me. 

Ozpin then leads Obi-Wan deep into a vast vault built beneath Beacon Academy. Ozpin was calm while Obi-Wan was confused. Soon enough, they find a young woman on life support. Obi-Wan recognizes her. 

Obi-Wan: Amber? She was missing....

Ozpin: She was attacked by several unknown assailants looking to steal her powers. The attack left her comatose.

Obi-Wan: Why hasn't she received medical attention? 

Ozpin: Because we fear she will not make it. Are you familiar with how the powers of the Maidens are transferred?

Obi-Wan: If I remember correctly, the powers of the Maidens pass from host to host upon the death of the current holder to the last person in that Maiden's thoughts. 

Ozpin: We couldn't take the chance of having the powers of the Fall Maiden fall into her assailants. 

Obi-Wan looked upon the comatose Amber with sadness. 

Ozpin: You know her, Obi-Wan?

Obi-Wan: Yes. She was a pupil of mine. She was a kind and gentle soul. When she went missing, I tried looking for her.....

Ozpin: I'm sorry that you had to find out this way, Obi-Wan. I wish it were otherwise, but now we must find a new successor to inherit the powers of the Fall Maiden. 

Obi-Wan: How do you intend on doing that?

Ozpin: I believe Pyrrha Nikos is the one most worthy to inherit the powers of the Fall Maiden. 

Upon hearing this, Obi-Wan took a moment to think on this. 

Obi-Wan: This is a heavy burden you're asking Pyrrha to carry. 

Ozpin: I know, but we are left with no other choice. Each day, Salem grows more stronger. I fear things are falling apart faster than I can fix. We are in desperate times, my friend. 

As Ozpin said this, Obi-Wan reflected on the situation. Obi-Wan then reluctantly agrees to go along with Ozpin's plan to recruit Pyrrha to inherit Amber's powers. With each passing moment, Obi-Wan grew more and more concerned about the rising threat Salem posed on Remnant. Despite this, Obi-Wan would do everything in his power to combat this rising threat.