Chapter Six - Dark Revelations

After being attacked by Maul, Obi-Wan met with Ozpin and the rest of the inner circle in his office.

Ozpin: Obi-Wan. What troubles you, my friend?

Obi-Wan: Last night I was attacked.

Glynda: Attacked? By who?

Obi-Wan: Maul.

Upon hearing this, Ozpin and the others were stunned by this revelation. Ironwood was the first to speak up.

Ironwood: You must be mistaken. Maul was killed almost ten years ago.

Obi-Wan: I thought so too. I was the one who fought him. But there's no doubt about it. Maul has returned.

Glynda: How can you be so sure?

Obi-Wan: Only Maul could fight with such...ferocity. There's no doubt in my mind that Maul has returned. 

Ironwood: I still find it hard to believe. 

Qrow: Clearly you don't know him, Jimmy. Maul was one of Remnant's deadliest assassins. I fought him once back years ago. Never fought anyone like him since. 

Obi-Wan's memories of Maul soon began to weigh on Obi-Wan's mind. He remembered how Maul attacked both him and his mentor Qui-Gon Jinn in an intense battle. He remembered how Maul killed Qui-Gon in battle and how he was able to bring the assassin down. For years, Obi-Wan thought Maul was dead. 

Ozpin: We will have to discuss the matter with Maul for another time. For now, I believe it's time to bring Miss Nikos into the fold. 

With the matter of Maul on hold, Obi-Wan joined Ozpin and the rest of his inner circle to meet with Pyrrha. After a brief discussion about the fairy tale of the Maidens, Ozpin led Pyrrha to the Vault. As they boarded the elevator, Pyrrha grew nervous. 

Pyrrha: Where are we going? 

Ozpin: The vault. Under the school.

Glynda: I'm sure you must have questions.

Pyrrha: Maybe one, or two...I still don't understand. You said I was next in line to receive the Maiden's power. What do you mean by that?

Glynda: The Maidens have existed for thousands of years. But much like in nature, the seasons change. No two summers are alike. When a Maiden dies, her power leaves her body and seeks out a new host, ensuring that the seasons are never lost, and that no individual can hold on to that power forever.

Upon hearing this, Pyrrha was in shock. Obi-Wan was fully aware of the power and nature of the Maidens so he fully understood Pyrrha's reaction. 

Pyrrha: So, how does the power choose?

Qrow: Through a series of stupid and convoluted rules.

Glynda: Qrow.

Qrow: Hey, don't get mad 'cause I'm right.

Glynda: At first, the only thing that was certain was that the powers were specifically passed on to young women. But as time went on, it was discovered that the selection process was much more...intimate.

Pyrrha: Intimate? 

Glynda: As we understand it now, when a Maiden dies, the one who is in her final thoughts is the first candidate to inherit her power.

Qrow: Unless it's a dude or some old hag. Then the power goes to someone random, and our job gets a lot harder.

Pyrrha: Why tell me all of this now? Why not wait until I've graduated?

Qrow: Honestly, we've run out of time. I don't know if you've noticed, but things are getting a lot scarier out in the world. Tensions are high. Grimm are growing stronger, more prevalent. And it's not going to be much longer before the peace we've been enjoying so much goes out the window.

Obi-Wan: There are bigger threats at play. Forces that seek to destroy the peace that we've worked so hard to build. I understand your concerns, but as Mr. Branwen said, we're low on time. 

Soon enough, they reached the Vault that lay beneath Beacon. Ozpin's inner circle soon led Pyrrha to the stasis chamber where Amber was being held. 

Pyrrha: Is that...

Ozpin: The current Fall Maiden, Amber.

Pyrrha: She's...she's still alive.

Ironwood: For now. We're using state of the art Atlas technology to keep her stable. But there is a lot about this situation that is...unprecedented.

Pyrrha: What do you mean?

Ozpin: Well, we don't know what will happen if....when she passes.

Pyrrha: Won't her powers transfer to the next host? 

Ironwood: Under normal circumstances, yes. But this is a delicate situation. It's not uncommon for the last thoughts of the slain to be of their attacker. And to make matters worse, no one's ever seen the power split like this before. For all we know, it will seek out its other half.

Obi-Wan: It's clear that whoever attacked Amber aimed to inherit her power. We....we couldn't take that chance. It pains me to see Amber this way. She...she was one of my pupils and a good friend. 

As Pyrrha assessed the situation, it became clear that something bad was happening and it was happening behind the scenes. Pyrrha then spoke. 

Pyrrha: If all of this is true, why keep it secret!? If this girl is so important...if we're truly on the brink of war, why not tell everyone?

Glynda: From what we understand, it used to be common knowledge.

Pyrrha: Excuse me? 

Qrow: How do you think legends and fairy tales get started? Even the craziest ones come from somewhere. 

Ozpin: It would cause panic. And we all know what that would bring to clawing to our Kingdom's walls. Which is why we would like to...

Pyrrha: I'll do it. f you believe that this will help humanity... then I will become your Fall Maiden. That's what you wanted, isn't it?

Obi-Wan: I do not envy you, Miss Nikos. But in light of this situation, once Amber's powers....pass on to you, I will do whatever I can to train you just as I did with Amber. With luck, we may yet avoid a catastrophe. 

In that moment, Pyrrha Nikos accepted the heavy responsibility of becoming the Fall Maiden. What they didn't know is that their plans would soon come to a sudden stop.