Chapter Five - Contemplation & Attack

Much was on Obi-Wan's mind as the days passed. With the threat of Salem looming ever larger, Obi-Wan wonders about his own skills. Deciding to clear his mind, Obi-Wan takes a walk through the city of Vale in night. A sense of uncertainty weighed heavily on Obi-Wan's mind as the Vytal Festival was near. During his walk, Obi-Wan takes a seat on a nearby bench to contemplate on the situation.

Obi-Wan: (I doubt even Qui-Gon would've been prepared for a situation of this magnitude.....)

Obi-Wan's thoughts soon fell on his old mentor Qui-Gon Jinn. He wondered what he would do. As he sat in contemplating, Blake approached him.

Blake: Uncle Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan: Ah. Hello Blake.

Blake: What are you doing out here in this time?

Obi-Wan: It's a beautiful night. A perfect night for a walk.

Blake could see that something was troubling Obi-Wan. She sat next to him on the bench.

Blake: You look troubled.

Obi-Wan: And what gave you that idea, young Blake?

Blake: It's not hard to read someone you've known all your life.

Obi-Wan chuckles at Blake's intuition. Despite not related, both Obi-Wan and Blake saw each other as family. Obi-Wan's eyes soon fell on Blake's bow.

Obi-Wan: Why hide them?

Blake paused at Obi-Wan's question. She looked down with shame as she touched the bow that hid her cat ears.

Blake: Because....because I'm afraid.

Obi-Wan: You have nothing to be ashamed of. You're a wise young woman.

Blake: Am I? I fought for the White Fang. I was complicit in their crimes!

Obi-Wan: Your father and I founded the White Fang to bring peace between the Faunus and the Humans. It was unfortunate events beyond anyone's control that changed the White Fang. You did what you thought was right.

Blake reflected on Obi-Wan's words. Blake was deeply ashamed of her involvement with Adam and the White Fang.

Blake: I just hope I can make things right.

Obi-Wan: I have no doubt that you will. I have no doubt that you'll make an excellent Huntress. Trust in yourself, Blake. Do not let your life be dictated by fear and regret.

Blake smiled at the sage like wisdom from Obi-Wan. Despite her own personal insecurities, she could always count on Obi-Wan to lift her up.

Obi-Wan: You are strong and wise, Blake, and I am very proud of you. I have trained you since you were a small girl. You have much to learn, but in time, you'll become a far greater Huntress than I could ever be. Trust in yourself, Blake.

Blake smiled as she hugged Obi-Wan. She cared deeply for him as did Obi-Wan for Blake.

Obi-Wan: Now then, my friend. You should probably get some rest. You'll need all the energy you can get for the Vytal Festival.

Blake smiled as she got up from the bench and began walking away. Before she left, Obi-Wan offered a question for Blake.

Obi-Wan: The road lies before you, Blake Belladonna. Will you walk it alone?

Blake: No, Uncle Obi-Wan. As a Huntress, I'm never alone.

After the exchange of words, Blake left for the dorms at Beacon Academy to rest for the Vytal Festival. Obi-Wan continued on the events that had transpired. He wondered about how Pyrrha would react to the possibility of inheriting Amber's powers. 

Obi-Wan: (I do not envy Miss Nikos. Inheriting such a power is no easy responsibility.)

As Obi-Wan contemplated this, he sensed a disturbance nearby. His instincts told him something was wrong. He heeded his instincts as he patrolled the streets. As he walked into an alleyway, he saw nothing. 

Obi-Wan: Hm....

Suddenly, he is ambushed by a figure clad in a black cloak. The figure wielded a double bladed sword. Obi-Wan was barely able to block the attacker's strikes. 

Obi-Wan: Who are you?!

The figure said nothing as he continued to attack Obi-Wan. The figure fought like a savage animal. His attacks were lightning fast and strong. The figure move with blinding speed that even Obi-Wan's defenses could barely keep up. Obi-Wan blocked each attack with his Negotiator sword ant attempts to parry the attacks to no avail. As the fight dragged on, Obi-Wan began to notice something familiar in his attacker's strikes. As the two clashed blades, Obi-Wan could see piercing red and yellow eyes from the shadow of the hood. 

Obi-Wan: (No.....it can't be......)

Obi-Wan's heart stopped as he recognized his attacker. Before he could react, the attacker lets out a roar and attacks Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan was able to block the attacks thanks to his Semblance. He then uses the Force Semblance to push him away. Seeing that the tide had turned, the attacker began to flee. But as he did, he used a Semblance similar to Obi-Wan's to bring down rubble on top of them. Obi-Wan was forced to use the Force Semblance to protect himself. As he did, he attempts to chase after his attacker, but he was nowhere to be found. In that moment, Obi-Wan's only reaction was a single name. 

Obi-Wan: Maul......

With that, Obi-Wan's attack from Maul ended in the latter's retreat. But Obi-Wan knew that this would not be the last time he would see Maul. With the apparent return of Maul, Obi-Wan was more troubled than ever. He would alert Ozpin and the others about Maul's return as well as plan for his next move. But what Obi-Wan didn't know was that a bigger plot had been set in motion that would change everything.