xxiv.

Father takes Hyungwon camping again. Hyungwon says he wants to watch the stars come out like last time, and Father says okay, they can do that. They're sitting by the edge of the clearing and staring up at the sky. Hyungwon has been looking up for so long that his neck is starting to hurt, but he doesn't want to look away and miss anything. The sky is beautiful here, not like by their house where you can't see many stars at all.

Father puts an arm under each of Hyungwon's and lifts him up before setting him back down in his lap. Hyungwon leans back against Father's chest, taking in the warmth.

Father asks him about school, and Hyungwon tells him all about the games they play outside and how just this week, he got to be team captain. Father says that's great, and he rubs a hand up and down on Hyungwon's chest. To keep him warm, he says. Hyungwon doesn't mind because it's true that he gets cold easily. He tells Father about some of the other kids in the class and his teacher, and he rambles on for a while about what they're learning and their class pet, which is a guinea pig named Salt & Pepper for its white and black spots.

Father listens to Hyungwon. It makes him feel special because Father cares about what he has to say. He might be the only one in the whole world who does. Hyungwon tells him this, and Father wraps his other arm around Hyungwon so he's enclosed in a hug, and Father tells him that he's right, that Father is the only one who really cares about Hyungwon and loves him, and isn't Hyungwon lucky?

Hyungwon nods. Tonight, he feels very lucky and very special. He tells Father this, too, and Father stares at him for a moment before giving him a kiss. Not a kiss like Mother gives him on the forehead, but one on his lips.

Father tells him, and Hyungwon grins. Their first secret. Only Father and Hyungwon know about it. Father asks him if he can keep the secret, and Hyungwon says of course he can. Father tells him that he's trusting Hyungwon, and Hyungwon feels warm – warmer than Father's arms holding him.

Father says Hyungwon can trust him too. He can tell Father all of his secrets, and Father will never say a word to anyone. And Hyungwon is so desperate to share with someone who really listens to him, the only one who really cares about him.

--updated 07/07/20, part 1/3--