MishBir: I'll Always Cherish You

Mishti Rajvansh was furious. It was her birthday, and Abir Rajvansh didn't remember. All morning, his behavior had been totally ordinary, nothing to indicate that today was something special. He had left for the NGO early and before leaving he had even said that he'd be home late that day, so she shouldn't wait up for him. The nerve!

A part of Mishti had been hoping that maybe it was all an act. That maybe he had a big surprise planned for her, and he was only making her think that he'd forgotten. But that wasn't it. She'd figured that out when she had called the NGO this morning, and found out that Abir really did have a hectic schedule for the day, and would be leaving for a meeting in the evening for company related work, which could be why he said he would be home late. So no surprises, nothing. He really had forgotten.

Mishti was kind of stung. This was her first birthday with the two of them as a couple, and she had been looking forward to spending it with her husband. She hadn't even wanted any celebration, just wanted to be wished and cherished by her love. But it looked like she wasn't going to get that.

Mishti was pulled out of her gloomy thoughts as Ketki entered the living room then, a big smile on her face.

"Happy birthday, Mishti Bhabhi!" she said, pulling Mishti into a hug.

Mishti smiled back at her as they pulled back, trying not to show how low she was actually feeling.

Apart from Abir, everyone else had wished her. She had woken up to a lovely video from everyone in the Maheshwari house, and messages from Ananya Di and Nannu. Nanu had given her his blessings when she had gone to give him his morning tea, and as all other elders of the family had been present there, they had also wished her. Kuhu had given her a #birthdayhug as soon as she'd stepped out of her bedroom, and Kunal had wished her before he had left for office. And now Ketki had. Only the one whose wishes she had been looking forward to the most hadn't.

"So," Ketki said, giving her a sly look. "Kya special diya hai Abir Bhai ne aap ko aaj?"

Mishti plastered on a smile.
"Pata nahi," she replied casually. "Abhi tak to kuch nahi."

"To koi surprise hoga, right?"

"Hmmm," Mishti replied non-committally, knowing full well that there was no surprise.

"Ketki!" Nidhi Mami's voice reached them then, from somewhere upstairs, and Ketki left after wishing Mishti once again. As she left, Mishti shook her head to clear it, then tried to concentrate on the work she was doing, and not think of Abir.

****

Abir Rajvansh was feeling very good. The NGO work today was going very well, and he had just received an email with all details for his meeting with a client later this evening, so he was set for that too.

After he had his lunch, he sat down to go through the finances for the NGO. He was just five minutes into that work when he was interrupted by the ringing of his phone.

"Nanko!" Abir greeted his brother after he answered the call, leaning back in his chair. "Kya haal hai, mere Bhai?"

"Bhai," came Kunal's reply, serious and business as usual. "Uma Patel ne bataya ki aaj aap client ke saath meeting ke liye jaa rahe ho?"

"Haan," Abir replied. "Mr. Sharma ke saath. Kuch ghanton mein nikloonga." Now that Abir basically worked full-time at the NGO, it wasn't often that he got involved with company work. But he did occasionally, when Kunal asked him to.