MishBir: Pregnancy Moments- Part 1

When he'd first heard the news, words had simply not been enough for Abir to express how much joy he'd felt.

To think that he was going to be a father....That soon, a tiny child-his and Mishti's tiny child-was going to enter this world...It filled him with a warmth so fulfilling he felt like he would burst.

"Oh, meri Angry Chorni!" Abir exclaimed as he took her hands in his and twirled her around-gently, of course.

"I can't believe we're going to be parents!" he trilled, pulling her into his embrace after one final twirl.

He heard her sigh contentedly in his arms.

"Ye feeling kitni amazing hain na, Abir?" she said, "Hum parents banne wale hain. I...."

"I know, Mishti, I know," Abir replied, his smile not leaving his face.

"Hum hamare bachche ko Sab kuch denge, Abir," Mishti said, pulling back to look up at him. "Sab kuch. Jo kuch hamain nahi mila, wo bhi."

Abir knew Mishti wasn't talking about materialistic things. She was talking about the love and the parental care that they both hadn't received from their biological parents, from their fathers. Something that had haunted them both well into their adulthood.

Bit they wouldn't let anything like that happen to their child.

"Of course, Mishti," Abir said softly. "Hum kabhi bhi apne bachche ko apne parents ke pyaar ki kami mehsoos hone nahi denge. We'll always be there for our child."

Mishti smiled, her eyes glistening with tears. Abir pulled her into his arms again.

****

"Mishti, sambhal ke!"

Abir's shout made Mishti step back reflexively, wondering what was wrong. She turned, and watched as he hurriedly made his way over to her.

"Careful, Mishti," Abir said, one hand of his coming to rest on her arm. "Tumhe itni bhaag-dour nahi karni chahiye."

"Bhaag-dour?" Mishti asked, "Main kya-"

"You shouldn't do this," Abir admonished, leading her to the side, to sit on a lounger. "Tumhe upar neeche nahi karna chahiye. In fact, main soch raha tha ki hum roim neeche shift karlete hain. Baadme to karna hi hoga na? And also, I've hired a house help, tumhare saath 24/7 rehne ke liye. Main to rahoonga hi, lekin wo bhi rahegi, aur....Tum aise Kyu muskura rahi ho?"

Mishti shook her head as she shifted on the lounger, and pulled down Abir slightly to make him sit beside her.

"Tum bohot cute ho, you know?" she told him, continuing to smile.

Abir titled his head to one side. "I know that, but abhi kya aise-"

"And, I love you."

Abir smiled now, the blindingly charismatic smile of his that made Mishti's own smile widen.

"Why, I love you, too, Miss," he said, and dropped a kiss on her forehead. "Anyway, main yeh keh raha tha ki, ab NGO ka work main hi sambhaal looonga, for a year or two. Tum kuch bhi kaam nahi karongi, okay? Na ghar ka, na baahar ka. Aur tumhe jo kuch bhi chahiya na, anything, let me know, okay?"

"Hmm," Mishti said. "Anything else, Sir?"

"Yes," he replied. "Our monthly doctor's appointment is scheduled for tomorrow. 7 P.M. Then hum Bade Papa aur Badi Maa se milne chalte hain, it you want." He cocked his head. "Actually, I'll ask them to come here. I don't think you should-"

"Abir," Mishti cut him off, placing her hands on his arms. "Relax. I'm fine. Itni tension mat lo. Itna mat socho. Take it easy."

"Easy?" Abor asked, incredulous. "Mishti, I can't take this easy. This is about you and-"he stopped, his eyes falling on to Mishti's stomach. "And our baby," he completed, his voice turning soft.