Broken Ties: Part Two

Abir sat quietly in the hospital waiting room. He felt so, so tired, like he had never felt before. Everything he had experienced in the last few hours, and the worry eating at him now, seemed to be seeping all the energy out of him.

Abir looked up at the operation theatre. How long had it been now? An hour, at least. And still there was no news. He didn't know if that was good or bad. He just wished someone would come out and tell him that everything was okay. He couldn't take this much longer-this waiting, not knowing what was going to happen, while one of the most important people in his life lay in that room, fighting for life after-

Abir closed his eyes, trying to get the image of all the blood out of his head. He couldn't, though. All he could see was how much blood had been there, so much that his hands had been drenched in it in seconds, and how he'd been so scared on seeing it that he hadn't even been able to breathe-

"Abir."

Abir opened his eyes and turned. Mishti was sitting beside him. She looked as tired as he felt, but she still tried to smile bravely. She took his hand.

"Use kuch nahi hoga, Abir," she said gently. "Kunal is very stubborn. You know that. Wo kabhi haar nahi manega. He'll be fine."

Abir nodded slowly, not quite able to form words.

Mishti sighed, and pulled him into a hug. Abir laid his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes, letting her warmth ground him.

"I'm so sorry, Abir," Mishti said suddenly, her voice cracking. "Meri wajah se sab...I'm so-"

Abir got up immediately, frowning. Mishti was crying. Guilt was clearly visible in her eyes.

The tears in her eyes gave him the strength to speak. "Mishti, tum- why are you saying sorry? Jo hua usme tumhari koi galti nahi hai, then why-Mishti please stop crying."

But Mishti shook her head, continuing to cry. Abir took her into his arms and felt his own eyes watering up. Her tears had always unraveled him.

"Mishti, listen to me," he said, drawing back, his tone gentle but firm. "What happened was not your fault. Kunal ne tumhari jaan bachai, usme tumhari koi galti kaise ho sakti hai?

"Aur rahi baat Nanko ki, to-" Abir's voice cracked, but he closed his eyes against the pain he felt. He couldn't fall apart. Not now. He had to be strong for Mishti. "You said it yourself. Wo bohot ziddi hai. Wo mujhe chod ke kahi nahi jaega. Use kuch nahi hoga."

Mishti started to sob. Abir couldn't stop his own tears now. He felt so helpless. He couldn't help anyone-not his wife, not his brother. He hadn't been able to stop either of then from getting hurt. The only thing he could do now was pray that Kunal would be okay.

"Abir theek keh raha hai, Mishti," Maasi said, sitting down on Mishti's other side and taking her hand. She looked awful, her eyes red from crying continuously and face drawn with worry, but she gave them a sad smile and said, "Tum ro mat. Kunal ko-"

"Tu kyu ro rahi hai, huh, Mishti?" Kuhu's voice cut in. Abir turned as she stood up from the bench opposite theirs. "Kunal ko is museebat main daalke ab kyu ro rahi hai tu, huh?"

Maasi stood up. "Kuhu, bas karo. Yeh Jajah nahi hai ladne ki. Chup hojao."

"Main chup hojau? Is ladki ki wajah se aapka beta hospital main hai aur aap mujhe keh rahi hai ki main-"

Abir took a deep breath, trying to tune out Kuhu's rambles. If he'd felt angry at that girl before, it was nothing compared to what he felt now. After seeing her pushing Mishti, right in the path of danger, and after seeing Kunal get hit while saving Mishti, and all that blood on his brother-