How We Met

Brett yang was tired.

he was 14, his mom enrolled him in a math tutoring class,  so that he could follow the steps of that neighbor's kid that got the highest ranking at his school, who also happened to be the same kid that have won various math olympics from his school, who also happened to be that one kid that won the same violin competition brett joined last year.

God must've really love him when he was created.

it wasn't easy to be compared to such kid,  let alone expected to be like THAT.

But asian mom's expectations are the best.

"ling ling's mother told me,  this tutoring is the best in town. You'll be able to tackle all this maths in no time" said his mom cheerfuly to brett sometime ago.

"but i have to practice ma, there's a competition coming up,  i don't have time to do the tutoring" brett retaliated.

"aiya nonsense,  ling ling also got violin lessons and he won the one you participated to last year right?  i'm sure you'll manage just fine" said his mom.

damn you ling ling!  and damn those asian mom's circle that set up the impossible expectations of a son.

Brett was 14, he liked to play the violin,  he didn't need math tutoring,  let him be.

His mom was deadset on the tutoring class tho.

so here Brett stood, in a cramped math tutoring class, on a friday evening, surounded by kids probably younger that him.

Brett made his way to the back, hoping that he could at least studied his music in peace right there.

he quietly took out his music, a pencil and his math textbook for camouflage when the class started.

So far it wasn't so bad, at least the tutor was okay with brett fingering silently to his music instead of paying attention to the class.

Brett was focusing on a particular hard passage when a scrawny asian kid suddenly barged in almost 30 minutes late into the class.

That kid muttered his apology for being late to the tutor, and then walked his way across the room to where brett sat.

Doesn't matter.  Brett continued to studying his music. 

"can i sit here?" the scrawny asian kid asked shyly.

brett jolted a little bit at the words, but quickly regained his composure and answered to the kid.

"sure,  i guess" Brett answered as calmly as possible. Those damn words spoken to him always left him all nervous and awkward.

The scrawny asian kid beamed at Brett while he hastily sat at the seat beside Brett.

"so i noticed your music and the fingering, and i assume you play the violin right? " the kid whispered slowly to Brett,  not wanting to interupt the math tutoring.

"yep, i have a competition coming up and i kinda need all the time i have to practice" said Brett.

"Awesome!  i play the violin too! i've been playing since four or something, i'll have my LMUS exam this year" the kid said enthustiatically.

Brett chuckled lightly "dude that's so asian of us, math tutoring and classical music and all"

"I know right!" the kid giggled.

Their little introduction was a little bit too loud as their tutor reprimanded them.

"ehem!  boys i don't really mind you not paying attention to the class,  but please don't disturb the other that are actually trying to study here okay?

ouch.  So the tutor was noticing all along that Brett wasn't really concentrating on the class. 

the scrawny kid hold in his giggles as he took out his math book and all.

"better start working yeah? gosh i wish i bought my music so i can practice too" Said the kid while he worked on his math.

"lol,  i haven't even looked at mine, what is this all about again? " said Brett as he quickly followed the kid and worked on his math too.

the kid chuckled silently as they worked the rest of the tutoring in silence.