five.

F I V E

"trouble and worries"

Jake's POV

THE ELEVATOR DOORS OPENED, he was certainly not expecting to see Sarah already at her desk, for some reason. She avoided his eyes. And he knew exactly why, still regretting the reason everything might go wrong. If the night before Sarah had left the bar suddenly, it could only mean that she saw Iris kissing Jake.

And that was the worst part. He didn't even mean to kiss her back, but the drinking and the confussion made him stay like that before breaking the kiss. 

"Hey, Jake," Charles approached him as he sat down at his desk, receiving suspicious looks from Rosa. 

"Charles," Jake greeted, sighing. He definitely did not feel like dealing with him, even if it was his best friend, but he could be a little too much sometimes:

"So... how are things going between the lovebirds?" Charles said in a sing-song tone, eyeing Sarah, who ignored the comment.

Jake gulped and rubbed his face, shrugging. Charles nodded at the answer, though he seemed to find that behavior strange in Jake. Sarah didn't say anything. It was weird, for she supposed to be more mature than him, but Jake understood why she wouldn't talk to him. So he had to do the first thing.

"Hey... um, Sarah," he whispered, leaning onto his desk.

Sarah looked surprised to hear her name, and lifted her head hesitantly. There were two dark circles under her red eyes, as though she had not caught any sleep the night before.

"We both know what's going on," Jake said, ashamed. "So... can I talk to you about it?"

"Really?" Sarah narrowed her eyes. "I don't understand what's your problem. Do you know what you did? How terrible it was?"

"Yes, I know and I'm sorry, that's why I want to talk about it—"

"I don't know if we can do that ever again. I can't trust you anymore," Sarah's words pierced Jake, and he sank in his seat.

"W... what?"

"I can't trust you anymore."

Jake scoffed, he didn't know why he was getting mad himself if he was supposed to try and fix that, even though it seemed to have no remedy. But he had to make her understand it had been a mistake.

"I would never hurt you," he raised his voice a little, not noticing, "I was really drunk, and I separated as soon as she kissed me. I wouldn't cheat on you ever."

"Well... you did," Sarah's eyes started watering, but her face told Jake that she was doing her best not to cry. Her voice, however, was now shaky, and louder. "You did and it hurt me. I should've trusted Iris."

Jake's eyebrows contracted, as he sat up. "Huh?"

Sarah rolled her eyes. "Iris told me that you were the same with every girl, that you were fine with them until the squad told you to break up with them."

A feeling went up Jake's throat. Anger. It was incredible that Sarah would believe someone like Iris about that.

"Yeah, because apparently every other girl I dated before was controlling, which led me to many problems," he said a little louder again. Charles looked at them, curious, and Rosa scowled in their direction.

"I don't care about every other girl you dated. I cared about our relationship. Now I even think it didn't mean anything to you!"

"It didn't mean anything to me?" Jake repeated, and laughed bitterly. "Yeah, that's why..." he trailed off. He was about to admit that he was gonna propose soon, but he stopped himself.