Prologue

The story of the Sika Deer isn't thought of when the Zodiacs are spoken of. Traditionally she is a separate being, the messenger of the God to the Zodiacs. But as the bridge between the two forces, she was seen as an honorary Zodiac, supporting God and Animal.

The Messenger has been invited to the legendary banquet along with the rest of the Zodiacs. However on the day of the banquet, the Deer was tired from delivering invitations to the animals and in her wryness slept through the entire Banquet.

All of the creatures and God were too busy in feasting to notice the missing Deer, all except the Dragon. So he searched for her far and wide, finding her under a tree, upset at herself for sleeping through the feast. The kind Dragon told her not to fret and hosted a special banquet just for the Deer. Since then, the bond between the Dragon and Deer has lasted through the ages, destined for greatness.

My mother always told me that when I was a child, she said it was the reason I followed Hatori Sohma around as a toddler. The elders of the family would agree, while else would I take the same sports he took and attend the same university? In their eyes, we should be getting married and strengthening the Zodiacs and Family. I've grown apart from him since then, the idea of marrying him is utterly ridiculous. Even if I wanted to, and I don't, he would never think of me like that, he'd never even dream of it.