Chapter 12

Hatori's POV:

Every part of me ached as I listened to the doctors talking to Natsu's parents. She's not doing good. Three days, without water, and with serious injuries to her head and other parts of her body. They don't think she'll make it. 

I can't imagine a life without her being around. I can't imagine what will happen with Akito if she does die. I can't even begin to think about what I'd do without her. 

She warms up my life, like a warm summer day. Just like her name.

I should have said something to her earlier. I should have been by her side when she went to Akito. I shouldn't have said all those things I said to her. I shouldn't have given her hate, that she didn't deserve.

And now, it's probably to late. They said that we'll know by tomorrow morning if she'll be able to make it or not. 

"Hatori, why don't you go home and try to get some rest." Natsu's mother, Fuyumi, sadly smiles at me. "When news comes, we'll tell you." I agree, and leave the hospital as the clock strikes 10.

The whole ride home, I'm silent. I don't know what to do. Do I cry for her? Do I go yell at Akito for putting her through this. Or should I just pray that I don't have to face tomorrow? I don't know if I'll be able to face tomorrow. Even if she does make it out alive, I don't know where'd I begin with apologizing to her. I don't think she'd even except my apology.

Natsu's POV:

The train isn't ending. I can't see the end of it. But I can see him, Hatori, moving away from me. Further and further. He'll be out of reach soon. 

"Just go for it, Natsu. You said you weren't going to hold back anymore. You were going to be by his side, making sure he was happy. Making sure he's smiling." I say to myself. I clinch my fists, staring at the speeding train.

"You can do it. The train isn't really there. It's just a barrier you've set up. If you want to be with him, you have to give it your all, you have to do, is go for it." 

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, I open them again. And I begin running, running after him. Running towards him. Running to be with him.

The train disappears, everything else disappears, except for him. Hatori Sohma.

The oxygen runs through my lungs, my eyes open. The warm morning light floods into the room I'm in. I want to sit up, I want to find him. I want to be with him.

Hatori's POV:

Everyone at the Main House is waiting for her parents to call. To give us the news. My heart stops a beat, whenever I hear anything remotely sounding like a phone. "Hatori, a word if you please?" Shigure asks, coming into the room where I'm waiting with the rest of the zodiac.

"But, Ha'ri might miss the phone call!" Momoji exclaims, as I get up. 

"It'll be fine. I promise you, it'll be short." Shigure promises.

"What is it?" I ask, as we stand in the hallway.

"Good news, she's alive." He tells me.

"What? How do you know? Are you lying?" I ask.

"No. Momo called me, about a minute ago. She said for you to come to the hospital." My heart thuds against my chest. Why do they want me at the hospital? Unless....

"Go to her."

"She's in there. Go in before her parents come back. They're pretty upset." Momo says.

"About what?" I ask.

"You'll find out." She steps away from the door. I stare at the name plate, Natsu Sohma. 

"Why did you call me hear?"

"Because." She opens the door. "She wants to see you."

She pushes me into the room, and closes the door. For being a doctor, I'm sickened by all of the wires and tubes that are covering her. I've seen this before, both of my parents died in hospital rooms not to different from this one. My father entrusted a legacy with me in one of these rooms. I lost all the meaning of being a child when my mother died in one of these rooms. Now, what will happen? I know she's alive, and she's going to make with, but, this scares me. I don't know what's going to happen. 

"Ha... hatori?" I look at her, she so small, she looks like such a child. Is this really the same woman I carried out of that abandoned house, the same one who looked so wild and driven? She looks so weak and frail. But those green eyes of her's are still the same.

"I'm here now." I pull a chair up next to her and sit down. Do I tell her that the thought of her leaving me was driving me nuts? Do I tell her that I'm sorry?

"I didn't actually think you'd come." She coughs quietly, and then goes back to breathing slowly. "Although I didn't actually think I'd make it this far. But I guess when a person nearly dies, everyone will bend over backwards for that person. Look at me, I'm still being such a burden."

"Don't say that Natsu. You're not a burden!" I tell her. "Natsu... I!"

"I need to... I need to apologize.." Her eyes drupe. "About every....thing."

She falls asleep, looking like such a child. But more of any adult than I could ever be. "No, Natsu. I'm the one who has to apologize. I'm the one who has hated you for something you couldn't change. Who pushed you to the curb. Who lied about my own feelings. I need to apologize to you. Not the other way around." 

I wrap my hands around her right one. "One day, I will apologize to you, when you can hear it. One day I will ask for you to forgive. You have nothing to apologize to me about." I press my head against her hand. "I'm sorry." 

Against my better judgement, I lean over and kiss her. I had to do it, at least once. 

"Hatori? You're leaving already?" Momo asks, as I close her door. 

"She fell asleep. So, yes. I am." I nod. 

"I see. The doctor's did say she's still pretty weak." Momo explains. "Well, you'll just have to come back another day when she's stronger."

"No." I look down at the floor, trying to ignore the fact that my lips are still tingling after the kiss. "I won't be coming back."

"I see." 

Natsu's POV:

"He's gone." I whisper, once I'm awake again. "I didn't even get to apologize."

I press my fingers against my lips. They feel so weird, for some reason. They taste salty. Was I crying?