Chapter 2

Hatori

I had to admit, even though Natsu constantly got on my nerves, and needs to grow up in multiple ways, she did do a good job at making the room light up. Though she often tries to come across as unnecessarily kind, even to those she hates, like me.

"She seemed nice." Kana comments, as I gather some forms for Kana to sign.

"She tries to be." I put the paperwork in her hands.

"You two seem close, that must be nice." She says. I almost choke. Plenty of people try to assume that because Natsu is constantly hanging around me, we're in a relationship. I'd rather stay a seahorse for the rest of my life than be in love with her.

"No. She's just a family friend. Nothing else. I'm not in a relationship with anyone, and I don't plan on being with anyone, ever." I respond, deadpanned.

"Oh. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have budged." She apologizes.

"Don't make a habit of it," I tell her.

"Does she come around the office a lot? I would like to get to know her." Kana asks, looking through the forms.

"Sadly, yes," I mutter.

Kana is right, she is a kind person. There is some sincerity in Natsu, even toward the cruel people in the world. Sometimes, I wonder if it's a front she puts up, I'm sure she's more like me or Shigure than she leads you to believe.

"She is a nice girl, you too will get along well," I admit. Kana, from what I've collected, is what people think Natsu is, they'll make nice friends.

Natsu

"Ah, Natsu. I didn't think I'd see you today." Shigure greets me as I try to exit the Main House after tea with Akito and Kureno.

"Hello, Shigure," I respond, trying not to get distracted by him as I make my way out of the Estate. Still, he follows me.

"Is it true that Hatori's got a hot young intern? Does she make you jealous?" He teases.

I let out a snort at his comment. I don't become jealous, and if Hatori is going to mess around with someone, that's his problem. We aren't engaged to each other, we aren't married, and it's not like I have a say over him and his relationships.

"As if. Don't you have better things to do, Shigure? Like bothering someone else?" I ask as we reach the Main Gate.

"No. Where are you going? Can I join?" He loves to pester everyone. It's amazing that Akito is so enthralled with such a man baby.

"A haircut appointment. And even though you need one, no you can't join." I tease him back, a taste of his own medicine.

"You're no fun, Natsu. No wonder Hatori doesn't love you." My patience is running thin, I can feel a vein threatening to break against my skull.

"Piss off Shigure, and learn to give a woman space." I snap at him. I could have the most fun, be the life of the party, and do whatever someone wants, and it still wouldn't be enough for Hatori to love me.

Hatori will choke on my spite and find some woman to love, maybe Kana, maybe someone else. But it won't be me, he's set his mind to it, and I've set mine that I'll get over him. One day I'll shut down the feelings I have.

The old story isn't enough to put fire in his heart. There is no desire for me to become his wife, just raw hatred, and envy of those around us.

"It's better this way."

He'll never love me, I'm screwed to love him too. I'm just a barrel of gasoline waiting for someone to set me ablaze, to snap at him and everyone who cursed me. Till I'm dead I'll shake my fist at my ancestors and scream at God.

The cold cuts against my pink cheeks as I reach the bakery close to the Estate. I walk into the warmth as my phone rings and try to shut Hatori out of my mind. It's not fair that he invades every part of it. I wish he didn't.