Chapter 7

Bella knew where they were as soon as her feet hit the ground. She wished they were anywhere but here.
Sunlight filtered through large, fan-like leaves. Bugs buzzed around her. A rustle in the bushes had her drawing her knife. It was like being dropped far out into the ocean, only it was not blue, but a million subtle greens. Her red dress stuck out like a sore thumb.
Hunter and Mel appeared beside her. She laced her hand through Hunter's and he gave her a reassuring squeeze. Drums began to beat in the distance.
"Why did you bring us here?" Bella hissed at Mel.
She frowned at her. "I didn't. I asked the Pearl to take us to the surface." She opened her hand. The Pearl was now the size of a marble. Bella grabbed it and stuffed it in her shoe.
"In the middle of the place where I am supposed to be dead!"
"I didn't know! We can just leave now." Mel turned and found a spear angled at her chest. "Or not."
A man covered in yellow paint whistled and several more men appeared. They were painted with all the colors of the trees so they were almost invisible. In the midst of them was a woman.
She approached them and asked in a deep accent, "Who are you?" She wore a dress made from the leaves of the plants and a necklace made of rocks hung around her neck. Dark hair hung in a tight plait down to her knees.
"I'm Hunter. This is Bella and Mel." He pointed to each of them. "We would like to speak to King Sigmund.
"She is not welcome here," the woman said, pointing a spear at Bella. Her necklace clanked as she motioned behind her. The men behind her advanced with their spears drawn. Two claw marks decorated each of their chests. Bella gulped. Warriors.
"Very well. We will leave," Mel said.
The woman flicked her wrist and they were in the ground in an instant. Tight handcuffs made of vines were tied around their wrists. The men forced them on their knees.
"You will not leave. King Sigmund told us to capture you on sight. I do not think he will be pleased to see you. Come."
They were forced through the forest. Sweat beaded Bella's brow and bugs gathered around her head. She stumbled over a riot and Hunter steadied her.
"We will get through this," he promised.
"He wants me dead," Bella said. "We're lucky if we last the night."
They soon came to a familiar bridge. It was stone with a huge waterfall beside it. Water droplets sprang from the mist and soaked them through. The stone was covered in moss and Bella slipped a few times. On the other side of the bridge was a small path. The dirt squished beneath them as they walked. Bella risked a glance upward and saw small, wooden houses. People were emerging to stare at them as they were led last.
A bird soared by her ear, followed by a screaming boy. She was shoved aside as he ran past. Her lips peeled back in a sneer. Idiots.
In front of them loomed a palace. Its vibrancy threw Bella off. What's the point in having a village tucked in the trees if the palace is pinpointing exactly where it is? Blue and yellow paint mixed with green vines surrounded the palace. A giant golden fist was stuck at the top. To symbolize peace, she supposed.
The inside was no different than the outside. Red pillars shot into the ceiling. Small golden statues littered the ground. A golden throne was pushed in the middle of the room. Cushions decorated it. The woman split off and they were left to admire the room.
"Someone has too much spare time," Hunter murmured. She followed his gaze to a wall full of portraits of a man. In each one, he was posed differently. In one, he was sleeping. In another, he was relaxing in a bath. A particularly striking one caught her eye. He was dressed in nothing but a leopard skin and was holding a golden globe.
"Talk about narcissism," she replied. "There's even more than last time."
"I don't see any of you."
She blushed and fixed her gaze on the wall. "He probably burned them all."
"I wouldn't count on it."
"Shut up," the woman snarled. "He would like to see you." Bella hadn't heard her return. They were yanked to their feet and herded inside another room.
Her mouth popped open as they entered. The whole room was made of glass. The room was built over a ravine and she glanced down. She heard Mel choke as she followed her lead. Miles and miles of open-air separated them from sharp rocks below. Water rushing around them at an alarming rate. No matter how many times Bella visited this room, she would never get rid of the drop in her stomach.
"This is a pleasant surprise." Her heart missed a beat as a man entered the room. Muscles rippled under skin dark as night. A skirt made of the same leaves the others wore hung low on his hips. She swallowed as he strode over to her. "Hello, my sweet nightshade."
"Hello, Sigmund." Her voice was raspy as she gazed into his eyes. He was close enough that she could see the streaks of red in his otherwise dark hair. "It's been too long."
"Indeed it has." He winked and she took a deep breath. It was unfair how someone could look this perfect. He hooked an arm over her and she was suddenly aware of how overdressed she was. Her crown had fallen somewhere in the forest and she didn't know if one of the guards had picked it up. Her heart threatened to beat out of her chest. She took a deep breath and the scent of vanilla and chocolate flooded her nose. He grinned down at her. "Come. Let's eat."
His guards cut the vines and she rubbed her wrists. She was led to another room while Hunter and Mel were led away. Hunter glanced back at her before the door closed.
Are you okay? he seemed to ask. She nodded and followed Sigmund out the door.
A table full of food was waiting in the dining room. Bella's stomach growled as she grabbed a plate. She could barely keep from drooling as she filled her plate with fish, greens, meat, and vegetables.
Her chair was pulled back for her by one of his servants and she gratefully sank into the seat. The soft cushions made her nearly groan. After not sleeping for who knows how long, this felt like Heaven.
Sigmund watched her across the table as she ate. As soon as she was done with her first plate, a servant dumped more in front of her. She gestured to his empty plate. "Aren't you going to eat?"
"It's much more fun to watch you, my love." He leaned forward. His face hardened. "What are you here for this time? Last time it was my heart and my palace. What's next, my crown?"
"Of course not," Bella said. She pushed her plate away. "I'm just passing through."
"My guard said you just appeared in the forest. How?"
She was tempted to tell him but something in those eyes made her stop. "I don't know. How did you know I was there?"
"Don't lie." He studied her with sharp eyes before saying, "You forget the plants whisper to me."
She rolled her eyes. "I'm not. I truthfully have no idea how I got here. And that power is creepy."
"The last time I believed you, you betrayed me. How am I supposed to believe you now?"
"My kingdom is under attack." His gaze softened as she told him what happened. She didn't tell him about the quest or what the Oracle had said. Shayde simply came and threatened her kingdom and Bella was trying to protect it.
"Interesting." He stood and she got a glimpse of his powerful thighs. "I suppose you want my help?"
"I don't want it, but if you are willing...," she trailed off. "Never mind. I'll manage on my own."
"I'll have you escorted to your chambers. You are under no obligation to stay."
Her head spun. "But your guard said—"
"I know what they said. I did order them to capture you. But alas." He walked over and stroked her cheek. "You are too lovely to kill."
She gulped. The light hit his eyes perfectly, turned them emerald green. A stillness settled over him and she was reminded of the predator that paced within. Paced within all of them. She forced a smile.
"Thank you. You'll release my friends?"
He sighed. "If you stay with them in your chambers."
"So I can leave by myself or stay in my chambers with my friends?"
"Correct." He drew away and motioned for one of his guards to come over. The man towered over them both and held a sharp spear in his hands. "Matias will escort you wherever you decide to go." He made to leave but turned back. "That dress brings out your eyes."
She stifled a smile. Why not try to persuade him to help her? A few days here wouldn't hurt. He made it clear he was not going to harm them.
"Show me my chambers," she ordered the guard. He grunted and led her away.
Her friends were waiting for her when she walked in. The room was huge and two extra beds had already been set up. Hunter immediately ran over and hugged her. A small tree was planted in the corner. Hunter nodded as she raised a finger to her lips. She pulled away and crossed to it. The leaves were soft underneath her hands. She hesitated before shredding them. Hunter helped her gather them and dump them over the balcony.
"How was it?" he said once they were sure no plants remained.
"Tolerable. He may be willing to help us if I can... persuade him."
Hunter's eyes flared as he realized what she was implying. "No."
"Hunter, his armies could help. We've known each other since we were children. He's more willing to help than he realizes. If there's a chance, I will take it."
"No."
"You don't tell me what to do."
He dragged a hand over his face and turned to Mel. "Storm, please tell her that there's no way in hell that she's doing that."
Mel stalked over. Bella thought she was going to yell at her, but instead she smiled. "She can do what she wants."
"You are going to get yourself killed, you know."
Bella grinned triumphantly at him. "No, I'm not. I have you guys." She nudged Hunter. "Come on. How fun would it be for him to kill me, then you kill him?"
A tentative smile crossed his face. "I would like to kill him."
"See? It all works out." She crossed the room and threw open a closet. Racks of blue and green hung within. She pulled out a pair of dark green pants and held them up. Two long holes slit the pants from hip to ankle and shorts were sewn in at the waist. "What do you think?"
Mel peered in the hole and stuck her arm through. "A bit outside your comfort zone, isn't it?"
"Everything here is outside my comfort zone. Why don't you go see if there are any weapons lying about?"
Hunter said from across the room, "Anything's a weapon if you use it the right way." She drew her knife and tossed it at him. She meant for it to hit the wall, but it nicked his arm. Blood welled and he looked down. "Ow."
She apologized, but even to her it felt half-assed. She stripped and pulled on the pants. A matching blouse with golden chains hung in the back of the closet. She pulled it out and put it on. A mirror hung on the wall next to the closet and she studied herself in it.
"I hate this," she said and attempted to burn it. Her magic didn't come. "Does your magic work?"
Hunter grimaced and shook his head. "Something's blocking it."
"Wonderful." She tore off the clothes and slipped a simple dress on. The claw stayed off. "Where is Mel?"
"Looking for weapons. Like you told her"
"So she's gone?"
Hunter nodded but didn't break his vigil by the door. "If you want something, just say it."
"Look, I don't know what your problem is, but it's my choice what I do. I don't need you coddling me."
"I'm not coddling you." He pushed off and walked over to where Bella stood. "I'm trying to protect you." She scoffed and turned her head. The nerve! As if she needed protection. "I hate the thought of you with that man."
"I'm not doing anything with him. I'm trying to save my kingdom."
"So am I." He opened the door and almost walked into Mel. "If you don't like it, I can leave. Just say the words." With that, he pushed past her and disappeared down the hall.
"What was that?" Mel asked. She dropped what she was carrying with a clatter. Bella sprang forward and caught one of the objects. A dagger encrusted with enough rubies to feed a peasant family for a year.
"Nothing," Bella said. She rummaged through the pile. "Where did you get these?" A sword caught her eye and she pulled it free.
"Don't ask." She plopped down on the bed. "What happened with you and the King?"
Bella stood and leveled the sword at her. Mel grabbed one and they began to spar. "Don't ask questions." Metal sang as they danced. Her arms ached as her blade struck Mel's. They circled each other, getting a feel for each other.
"Scared?"
"Of what? You?" She parried and with a quick maneuver, had Mel's blade scattering across the floor. "Never."
Mel drew another sword and launched herself at Bella. The two girls fought over and over until the sun was just a sliver on the horizon. The room was flooded with golden light and Bella wiped the sweat from her forehead.
"You're better than I thought."
"You're not so bad yourself," Mel replied. Her hair was coming out of her long ponytail, but Bella had never seen such beauty. She noticed her staring and said, "See something you like?"
Bella cleared her throat and turned away. "I need to find Hunter. He shouldn't be out at night here."
She grabbed her sword and a couple of knives and opened the door. No guards appeared to tell her to get back inside. Her footsteps echoed around as she made her way to the throne room. She almost made it when she heard voices.
"I know what you're thinking," someone said. "Don't do it."
"But how? She's my friend." Bella recognized Sigmund. She strained her ears to hear more. "I can't abandon her."
"You already promised your army to Shayde. You can't betray her." The words were like a blow to her stomach. The air left her body and she struggled to breathe. "Besides, the world is better off without her."
She didn't wait for Sigmund to reply before barging in the room. The people inside reached for weapons as they saw her. Sigmund turned with a dark expression on his face. The person he was talking to, a young man, backed away and hurried out.
"You picked Shayde over me?" Bella growled. She drew a knife and prepared to throw it. "How could you?"
Sigmund swallowed. "I'm sorry, my darling. She came to me first and I had no choice but to help her."
"You always have a choice!" she shrieked. He flinched.
"I'm truly sorry." Remorse shone on his face and she almost believed him. But he also tricked her last time with this act.
"No, you aren't. But I am." He had enough time to look confused before her dagger sank into his arm. She didn't wait for him to register what happened before launching herself at his guards. They were dead in a matter of seconds. Bella leveled her sword at him. "I should kill you now."
"But you won't." Blood ran down his arm but he didn't look concerned. "I know you. You won't kill me."
"I won't." She wiped the blood from her blade and sheathed it. A smile as sharp as a dagger appeared on her face as she said, "But he will."
Hunter drove his sword through Sigmund's back. Blood spilled out onto Hunter's hands as he sank to the floor. His eyes were wide with panic as he looked up at her.
She leaned down and whispered, "You stabbed me in the back. I only figured you should get the same courtesy." She spat on him, but still leaned in and said, "May your soul grace the eternal waters of death." Hunter withdrew his sword and Sigmund slumped. Blood now coated the floor and wrapped around their feet. One last breath escaped him and his eyes dimmed. She glanced at Hunter. "How did you know I was here?"
"I followed you."
"Of course you did." She plucked her knife from his shoulder and wiped it clean. "Thanks."
"What should we do with his armies?"
She closed her eyes and tried to summon her power. Nothing. Hunter was studying her as she opened them. "The old fashioned way, then?"
"The old fashioned way." They linked arms and walked out of the bloody room.
Mel caught up with them on their way out. "Where are we going? Sigmund said not to go anywhere."
"Sigmund is dead," Hunter snapped. "Why are you still here?"
"I have nowhere else to go."
"Then stay out of our way." They exited the palace and Hunter began to chant. A storm gathered in the sky and the leaves shook. The people emerged from their houses to gawk. A spear sailed towards them and Mel blocked it with a shield. The ground shook. A great crack had Bella cringing, then the ground cleared apart. A chasm appeared. Bella peered down into darkness. Wisps of smoke trailed out and flew through the air. A clawed hand latched onto the edge and pulled a body up.
It was white as snow. Giant horns protruded from its head and curled down to its back. Bella stared at its forehead, at the mark gouged there. Demon. She grinned as several more emerged. The first one roared and the earth shook again.
The people began screaming. She could see warriors advancing. They were cut down in seconds. The wisps of smoke trailed after the ones who ran. They either collapsed right away or were driven insane. She couldn't see what they were seeing, but it had to be bad. Mel's face was pale and she had a hand over her mouth.
"No women or children," Bella said to Hunter. "Only the warriors."
"Okay," Hunter said. He gritted his teeth and a ripple of power shook the ground. The demons roared and strained against Hunter's order.
Bella turned to Mel. "If you can't watch, turn around," she advised. "You can cover your ears that way."
"I'm fine."
"Suit yourself." She faced the glorious scene and laughed. The demons killed anyone who stood in their way. She risked a glance at Hunter and found him panting and sweaty. "I think they got the message." He nodded and the demons retreated. The ground shook one last time as he sealed it.
They walked down the steps, careful to not trod on the bodies. Blood soaked through the dirt. The forest was silent as they walked through the path. Bella slowed as a figure appeared.
Gold armor adorned her and a blue cape fluttered from her shoulders. A belt hung low on her hips. Attached to it was a sword with a golden pommel in the shape of a lion. White hair hung down to her shoulders. Bella snarled as she beheld the girl. She would recognize that person anywhere.
Shayde.