Chapter 10

In Bella's dream, she stood in front of her kingdom. The gate was smashed open behind her and she faced a girl. Shayde's hair was streaked with blood and she raised her sword over Bella. Bella fell to her knees and bowed her head. Monsters and people alike swarmed around Shayde and Hunter appeared next to Bella. He picked her up and they disappeared.
The dream continued as Shayde marched into the kingdom. Her army cleared a path to the castle. Shayde sat on the throne and everyone bowed.
The dream swirled and began again. Bella faced Shayde on the battlefield. Only this time, Bella stabbed Shayde. She fell and revealed Hunter lying behind her. Monsters and people swarmed around her, even as she began crying.
Her throne felt cold as she sat in it. Her people surrounded her and bowed. Mel beamed at her from across the room. Bella tried to smile but couldn't. The door burst open and Bella woke as a voice roared, "WHERE IS MY SON?"
She slammed into a hand. Dominic leaped back as she stood. Her legs wobbled beneath her and she had to lean against the doorframe. Sweat trickled down her forehead.
"What did you see?" Dominic asked. Mel hovered over his shoulder. Bella scanned her face for any sign of the girl last night and found none.
She took a deep, rattling breath and relaxed her limbs. "I saw my choice." Dominic's face pinched tighter as she told him what she saw. Mel placed a hand on her arm. Bella glanced at her and saw sympathy there. She turned away. She didn't want sympathy. She wanted a way to save both.
"I thought you chose," Dominic said.
"I did. I still have doubts." Bella shoved past him and out onto the grass. It had stopped storming and morning dew shimmered on the ground. A dense layer of fog surrounded them. "Where's Hunter?"
"I don't know," Dominic admitted. He stung his hands. "Maybe he just got lost."
"Hunter doesn't get lost," Bella spat. She marched up to him and yelled, "Where is he?"
"Bella." Mel moved in front of him and took her hand. "We don't know."
"It's your fault," she said, still looking at Dominic. "You're the one whose house we stayed at."
"On the contrary. You're the one who dragged him in here."
"I hate you, you bastard." Bella palmed one of her knives and angled it at him. Mel stepped in front, blocking her shot. Bella glared at her. "Move."
"You will not hurt him."
"He hurt Hunter!"
"How do you know?"
"He was here, then he..." She gestured widely. "I just know it."
"Right." Mel folded her arms across her chest. "Take a walk."
Bella stared at her. She was giving orders now? "No."
"This my house. I'm not about to let you destroy it. Take. A. Walk." Mel ushered Dominic back inside and glanced back long enough to say, "Don't come back until you don't feel like killing him." The door slammed shut behind her.
Bella growled and stalked off. The trees seemed to move out of her way as she paced through them. Red dots clouded her vision. She knew Dominic had Hunter somewhere. Why else would Hunter leave?
She almost walked into a trap. A small layer of leaves covered a hole. She stepped around and continued on, eyes peeled now. Maybe Hunter was in one of the traps.
She walked until the sun rose high in the sky. At that point, she realized she was lost. All she had were a couple of knives and the clothes on her back. Her anger returned, full force. She chose a tree to take it out on.
Her knife landed in the soft trunk. A mango fell from above. She stared at it. Food. She dove and bit into it.
It was sweet and her mouth puckered. She gobbled it down before searching for more. Several hung in the branches high above. She removed her knife and began to climb.
The rough bark scraped her hands. A wind stirred the leaves, caressing her face before moving on. She reached the top and grabbed a couple before settling on a thick branch. Juice ran down her face and arms as she ate.
A colorful bird landed next to her. Its small, beady, black eyes stared at her and her fruit.
"Shoo," she said. It didn't move. She bared her teeth. "I said, shoo." The bird flew away and her hand brushed empty air. "This is my fruit."
She opened her mouth to take another bite when several more gathered around her. They all eyed her fruit. She drew it close to her chest.
"Go away." The birds didn't budge. More settled on the branches. "Go away!" One of the nearest birds let out a whistle and hundreds flew onto the tree. It was enough for her to scramble down.
She had barely hit the ground when the birds descended on her. They bit and clawed at her as she ran. "This is my fruit," she hollered at them. They keep attacking her.
She tripped over a root and sprawled on the ground. The fruit bounced from her hands. She attempted to grab it but the birds got there first.
They swarmed around, beating their wings and whistling. Bella groaned as they continued to attack her. Small slices began to appear on her flesh. Soon, blood began dribbling into the soil. She curled up and let them claw at her arms and hands. There was nothing she could do but wait.
After what seemed to be forever, the birds left. Bella slowly unfolded, injecting life into herself. She tried to move her hands and almost screamed from the pain. Tears leaked from her eyes as she looked down.
Her hands were covered in gashes and blood. They barely looked like hands. One of the larger cuts on her finger exposed bone. She clenched her teeth and looked at her arms. They don't fare any better than her hands. Crisscrossing her arms were large cuts. Much larger than the ones on her hands. Dried blood caked her.
She moved onto her stomach and wiggled until she was onto her knees. Her hands screamed at her whenever she accidentally moved them. It took all her effort to get to her feet.
She didn't know where she was. And there was no hope for her to climb a tree. The best she could do was pick a direction and hopefully find a village.
Her legs felt like water as she stumbled through the endless forest. Several cuts still oozed blood. She needed to get help, and fast. A small tendril of smoke rose into the air in front of her. She rushed to it.
A voice reached her ears and she slowed. The smoke came from a fire in front of her. It crackled and she aches to run to it. She ducked into a bush, careful of her hands, and peered out.
"Tell me where she is," someone said. Their back was to her and all she could see was the clothes. Surprisingly familiar clothes.
"I don't know," a voice gasped. Bella had to bite her tongue to keep from shouting out. Hunter. A sound like a smack made her flinch.
"You do know. Where." Smack. "Is." Smack. "She." Smack.
Tears welled from Bella's eyes as she listened. The man turned to her and the tears spilled over. He was Dominic.
She ducked even though he couldn't see her. Dominic had Hunter. He was torturing Hunter. Torturing him. About her. Bella had to stifle the urge to run out into the clearing. Instead, she made herself watch as Dominic slapped Hunter again.
"If you don't tell me, I'll slice you up and feed you to the birds."
"You'll never find her. She's too smart."
Dominic grunted. "I'll find her."
"If you know everything, why don't you know where she is?"
Dominic rounded on him. "SHUT UP!" He drew something that looked like an ax. The metal glinted as he raised it. "Which finger do you want to lose?"
Hunter spat at him. "None."
"I think I'll choose the ring finger." Dominic positioned the ax over him. A thud and then Hunter was roaring. Blood coated the ax as Dominic swept something to the ground. A finger. "Maybe you'll tell me something in an hour."
The pain in Bella's hands was nothing as Dominic moved away. Nobody touched Hunter. Nobody. She waited until she was sure Dominic was gone before sprinting to Hunter.
He was tied up in a chair with his hands bound to the armrests. His feet were bound to the legs. Next to him was a table filled with instruments. She didn't look at them as she knelt before him. His face was a bloody mess. One eye was swollen shut. Blood dripped out of his mouth.
"Hunter," she murmured. He struggled to lift his head. "Hunter, I'm here."
"Bella," he rasped. His eyes drifted to his hand. She followed his gaze.
His ring finger had been cut clean through the bone. It was severed just above his knuckle. Blood spilled out, covering the chair, his pants, the ground. She met his gaze.
"I'm getting you out of here." She reached for his bindings before realizing she couldn't do anything.
"Bella," he rasped again. "Run."
"No. No, I'm not leaving you." She searched the table for something to use. Nothing. She braced herself and drew a knife. She dropped it and tears sprang from her eyes. Her feet wrapped around the blade and she sat. She got to work on his bindings.
It was a slow process, but she got his legs untied. She was beginning on his hands when she heard a gasp behind her. The blade clattered to the ground as she turned.
Mel stood there, her eyes wide. Her face went pale as she took in Hunter, then Bella. She stepped forward as if to help when someone else appeared.
"I was wondering when you would come back," Dominic drawled. His attention went to her hands. "I guess the birds did get you after all." He clicked his tongue. "Shame." Mel shrank back as he turned to her. "What are you going to do?"
"How could you do this?" Her voice shook with fury. "You... you raised me! I trusted you!"
"A mistake." He pulled out his ax. "You didn't answer my questions."
Mel ran over to Bella and crouched down. "I'm helping you," she whispered. She touched her hands and Bella yelped. Mel turned back to Dominic. "I'm with you."
Bella's body went still. She gazed up at her friend. "What?"
"I'm sorry." Mel ran back to stand beside her guardian. "I'm so sorry."
Dominic smiled as he examined Hunter and Bella. "It was so easy for you to trust a blind man. Too bad I'm not blind." Bella saw Mel flinch. What was her plan?
"You will be when I'm done with you." Bella struggled to her feet. Dominic watched her, amusement written all over him.
"Good luck." The ax spun in his hands as he turned to Mel. "What should I start with?"
Mel fingered the sword at her belt. Bella saw the shift in her before she said, "Me."
As quick as an asp, she drew her sword and brought it down on Dominic. He brought the ax up to meet it and the blade lodged in the wood.
"You think you can defeat me?" he shouted. "I know everything!"
"Everything that is handed to you," Mel panted. She attacked again and Dominic swung his ax. Bella's heart lodged in her throat as the ax missed her stomach. Back and forth, they fought. Hunter groaned and she turned back to him. The knife fell to the ground several times before she was able to get a hold of it. She cut through the ropes on his arms and he slumped down. Blood still flowed from his finger, but slower.
Mel and Dominic faced off across the clearing. Tears streamed down her face as he shouted at her. Neither outmatched the other, even with different weapons. It was down to whoever had the most stamina.
Dominic lunged and they fought again. Their weapons were merely extensions of their arms. Nothing mattered to them more at that moment than obliterating the other.
Bella wanted to intervene but knew it was Mel's fight. She watched as Mel brought her blade down on Dominic's head. He blocked it, but the force of the impact was enough to send him staggering backward. Mel's face was contorted in fury as she rained blows down on him.
Slowly, Dominic began to lose ground. She pushed him back against the clearing until he dropped his ax.
"Stop," he said. A cut on his forehead leaked blood. "I give up."
Mel stood over him, her blade reflecting the light of the sun. If Bella could save this memory, it would be Angel of Death Stands Over Wicked Guardian. Dominic looked up at Mel and smiled.
"Kill me and be done with it."
Mel smiled back, showing all her teeth. "I would, but I believe you have some information that will help us." Her face shifted as she said sweetly, "You'll wish you were dead when we're done with you."
She brought the hilt of her sword down and he fell sideways, unconscious. Mel walked over and helped Hunter to his feet.
"Can you stand?" she asked him. A grunt was his answer. She turned to Bella and studied her hands. "I'm sorry I didn't get here earlier."
"How did you know?"
"I thought about what you said." She chuckled at the shock on Bella's face. "That, and he told me he had something to show me. He wanted you. I don't know why. But we'll get our answers soon enough."
She left them to haul Dominic over her shoulders. She led them back to the cottage.
They were an odd group. One so cut up he couldn't talk, one who couldn't use her hands, one unconscious, and one leading them all. If someone saw them, they wouldn't be able to understand anything.
The cottage was still puffing smoke when they got back. The dying sun cast a golden light upon them. Mel unceremoniously dumped Dominic onto the table. She sharpened her blades while they waited for him to wake up.
Bella ran her hands under the cold water in the sink. Blood colored the water red. She watched it go down the hole. Mel came over and offered to sew up her cuts. She refused and told her to help Hunter first. As they were preparing to see him up, Dominic woke. Bella quickly put Hunter into a bed before going to watch Dominic.
"What is this?" he said. Mel rushed over and tied ropes around him until he looked like he was making a snow angel.
"How do you like being tied up?" she asked.
He thrashed against the restraints. His face turned an ugly shade of purple while wind started to whip around the room.
Mel presses a knife to his groin. "Nope. No magic. Unless you'd like to lose your manhood."
Bella watched Mel from across the room. If her friend had any emotions about his betrayal, she didn't show it.
"We have some questions for you," she continued once the wind quieted. "Answer honestly and we won't hurt you." A wicked grin spread across her face. "Bad."
Bella stepped forward. "Where is the Elder Sword?"
"I told you." Mel dug the blade deeper. "The King of Hell has it."
"How do we know you're not lying?" Bella demanded.
"You don't." Dominic grinned at her. "You'll have to find out yourself."
"Have you seen it?"
"No. Nobody's seen it. I only heard about it ages ago from a boy who stumbled through here." He shifted to draw away the pressure on his groin. "He told me of a sword that was guarded so closely by the King that he even slept with it."
"Why did you kidnap Hunter?" Bella demanded.
"He knew who I was. I couldn't let him tell anyone."
"That's why you were going to kill me?"
"No. I wanted you, sweet Belladonna." His gaze traveled along her body. "All for myself."
"You asshole," Mel said. She removed her blade and set it along his wrist. "I should cut off your hands right now for saying that."
"I have a better idea," he began.
"I can't believe I looked up to you." Mel sliced her blade across his forearm. Blood spilled to the floor as he howled.
"Any more questions?" Mel looked to Bella.
She stared down at the man. His face was contorted in agony. How many things did he lie about?
"Is there a way to save both my kingdom and Hunter?" Mel looked up at her. Confusion crossed her face.
Dominic laughed. His eyes were wild. "No. You will all die. You will burn in Hell for all eternity."
"No." Mel looked down at the man who once was the only parent she'd known. "You will." She grabbed his ax and raised it above his head. The smell of piss floated into the air as a wet stain spread across his pants. The blade flashed, then a scream tore through the air. His hand fell to the floor.
"You bitch," he howled. "You will burn!" The table shook as he thrashed. "The waters will become soaked with blood, and you will all burn!" His shrieks cut through the air.
Even though they were words uttered by a crazed man, Bella couldn't help the coldness wrapping around her. She walked over to the man.
"What do you mean, we will burn?"
"Fire will engulf the world you know. Only the True Queen will survive." He laughed weakly. "Good luck."
"The True Queen?" Bella grabbed the man's face. "The one who the Devil's Flame will bloom for?"
"The very same." Dominic closed his eyes, a smile on his face. "You will burn."
The ax swung again, and his screaming began once more. Bella left the cottage as Mel made him pay. She stared up at the clouds floating idly by. One of them was the True Queen. One of them would bear witness to the Devil's Flame. It was only a question of who.
She waited until Dominic's screams had subsided before going back in. Mel was leaning against the wall. Her whole body was drenched in blood. Bella scanned her, looking for any injuries. Nothing. She couldn't say that for Dominic though. He had lost both hands and an ear. To be honest, she was surprised that all Mel took.
"How're your hands?" Mel asked.
Bella shook her head. "They will be better once they've healed."
"Not anytime soon," Mel said. "Those will take a while to heal."
"Not where we have to go." She shook Hunter and he cracked open his eyes. "Hunter, darling, we have to go to Hell." He mumbled something. "I'm sorry. We'll wait until tomorrow."
She turned back to Mel, but the girl was nowhere to be seen. Bella noticed the open door and decided to let her be. She had gone through a lot. Bella climbed into bed next to Hunter and curled around him. Tomorrow. They will figure out everything tomorrow. She closed her eyes and immediately fell into a deep sleep.