Chapter 9

A clap of thunder woke Bella from her sleep. The wind roared outside. Wood popped in the fireplace and she looked over. The man was asleep in front of it. His chest rose and fell with each breath he took.
Hunter groaned as she slid out. Mel muttered something in her sleep.
She shook the man and he woke with a start. His eyes were wild like he was about to attack her.
"It's okay. It's me." She raised her hands. "See?"
"No, I don't." He huffed a laugh. "What are you doing?"
"I'm ready to see Dominic."
"You didn't discuss it with your friends," the man said, rather sharply.
"They're asleep. And they're going to stay that way."
"Very well. I'll make some soup before we go. Go collect rainwater."
She stiffened at being given orders. The man hummed and turned back to the fire. No clue that he just told a Queen what to do. She struggled with yelling at him or going to do what he said. She chose the latter.
Rain pelted the roof. Lightning flashed, illuminating the trees shaking outside. She held a cup out to collect the rain. It pinged against the tin as it fell in. When it started to overflow, she took it back inside.
The man took it without acknowledging her. He poured it into the pot, a couple drops spilling onto the counter. The soup bubbled and popped, releasing tendrils of heavenly smells into the air.
She glanced over to the beds and noticed Hunter was gone. Mel still slept.
"Where did Hunter go?" she whispered.
"I sent him to collect nuts."
"What for?"
He didn't answer. Instead, the man handed her a cup of soup. She held it as he sprinkled something in. Steam wafted up and the man threw some logs into his fireplace. They popped as the fire licked them.
"Dominic is ready for you," the man whispered. He glanced at her untouched soup. "You need to eat."
She grabbed a spoon and dug in. This one had zucchini and sausage. It was different than the one last night but just as good. She swallowed it, even though it burned her throat, and turned to him.
"I'm ready," she whispered to the man. "Take me to him."
Before they left, she strode over to Mel. "I'll be back soon," she promised her sleeping form. "Don't worry."
They headed out into the rain and were immediately soaked through. The wind whipped around them, threatening to sweep them away. Lightning flashed again, followed by the slow rumble of thunder.
Bella could barely see the man through the torrent of rain even though he was right in front of her. Her feet sank into the mud and crept inside her shoes. She couldn't tell where the sun was in this weather. She just had to trust that the man knew where he was going.
They reached a cave as the wind picked up speed. A branch flew past Bella, almost taking off her head. She ducked in the cave just in time.
"I'm glad you could make it," the man said. He threw off his shirt and it landed on the rock with a wet slap. She squeezed the water out of her hair. Water ran out of her shoes and she emptied them. Puddles of water formed around them. A couple of animals ran inside after them to take shelter from the raging storm outside. Lightning flashed again, this time followed by a sharp crack of thunder.
"Where is he," Bella demanded.
The man just grinned at her. "You'll see. Follow me." He headed deeper into the cave and Bella had no choice but to follow.
A small pond sat in the middle of the cave. Bella could see fish swimming around in it. Underwater tunnels led to who knows where. She turned back to the man but he was gone.
"Hello?" she called. Her voice echoed in the large chamber. "Where did you go?"
"Hello, my dear," someone rasped. Another man appeared between rocks of stone. He was doubled over at the waist and wore robes of emerald green. "I've been waiting for you."
"Are you Dominic?"
"Yes. Come, ask me what you need."
"I don't know what I need." Bella approached the man. "You seem familiar."
The man turned away. "We haven't met before."
She grabbed the old man's shoulder. "I think we have." He twisted to look at her. His eyes were the same milky blue as the man from the cottage. She drew her hand away as if he stung. "It's you!"
"It's me," he agreed. Slowly, he unbent and stood to his full height. "I'm Dominic."
Bella tried to wrap her head around this reveal. She had talked to Dominic the day before? And she had slept in his house.
"Why didn't you bring Hunter?" A horrible thought appeared. "Does Mel know?"
He hung his head. That was all she needed. Before he knew what was happening, she had grabbed him and thrown him against the rock. His body fell to the ground.
He didn't bother getting up before saying, "I'm sorry. Everybody thinks I'm a huge, witchy, amazing dude, but I'm blind and old. The legends about me came from when people used to come to me all the time. They hardly come anymore." He looked at her sadly. "Please don't tell your lover."
"And Mel knows that you're Dominic. What is she doing with me?"
"Spying. I needed her to steer you in the right direction. I couldn't have you dying at the hands of the Guardian."
"But she ran away from you."
"That she did." He struggled to his feet. "We had a fight and she left. I didn't expect her to bring you and that boy to my doorstep."
"Will she... will she be immortal, too?"
"No. She is not my child." A small smile flitted across his face. "Although I may think of her as mine."
Bella sighed. "How are you going to help me?"
He spread his hands. A gust of wind blew around the cave, lighting candles Bella hadn't noticed before. Markings appeared on the walls. She wandered over to one and traced it.
"I still don't know what you need. Tell me. If it's something that I can do, I will."
A memory surfaced in her head. "How did you help Shayde?"
"I gave her instructions on how to get into Zosea."
"WHAT?" Her shout echoed across space. He winced. Her voice was deadly silent as she said, "And why would she need to go there?"
He had the decency to look scared. "Because she needs the armies."
"The Ice Kingdom's armies. Right." She pinched her nose and turned away. "You're lucky I don't have my magic."
"Oh, I think you can kill me without it."
"I can. And I should."
"But you won't."
"No. Because I still need information. But if the information is not as beneficial as possible, don't count on leaving this cavern alive."
The man sank to the ground, cradling his head. She didn't know if it was an act or if he really was scared. She didn't care. What she did care about was protecting her kingdom.
"How many questions can I ask before you decide to stop answering?"
He lifted his head. "Ten."
More than enough. A smirk appeared as she said, "What can I do to have Hunter and my kingdom?"
"Nothing."
Her smile faded. "There has to be another way."
"If the Oracle says it, it will come true. Honestly, I don't know why you kept saving him on the way here. It would've been much easier to just let him go."
"I need him."
"Next question." The man had the audacity to look bored. "They'll be waking up soon."
"Where is the Elder Sword?"
"You know where."
Her stomach twisted. The last place she wanted to visit. The royals there were lovely, but the people... She could never shut out the screams. They kept her awake the whole night. And the day. Then the night again.
"How can I ensure they will help?"
"Who?"
"You know who."
"Promise they can have your soul for eternity." A chill went through her at that. She would never get to see Hunter again after she died.
"What would you choose? Your lover or your kingdom?"
This was a question he was not expecting. He blinked slowly, then a smile curved on his mouth. She imagined carving that smile from his face.
"Need help deciding, Majesty?"
"Just answer it."
His brow wrinkled as he thought. He opened his mouth a couple of times before closing it. A dark thread of satisfaction at his inability to decide twisted around her spine. Now he knows what it feels like.
Finally, he said, "I would choose my lover. I don't need approval from my people, as long as I have the one I love."
"Even if your lover disagrees with you?"
He nodded. "Even then."
And she had her answer. "I'm still going to do everything I can to save them both."
He nodded in understanding. No matter what you choose, losing the other would never be easy.
The storm still raged outside but seemed to be receding. Dominic escorted her back to the cottage. A bird flew straight into her face and she shrieked. The bird seemed equally as startled and flew the other way.
Mel was sitting on her cot when they opened the door. Somehow, she had gotten new clothes and was wearing a gray sweater. She launched to her feet and strode over to them. Her face was pinched in anger and she raised her hand. Bella flinched, already feeling the slap when the girl hugged her.
"I thought you two were dead," she said, her voice muffled. She pulled away. The front of her sweater was wet, but she didn't seem to care. "Where did you go?"
"To see Dominic," Bella said. Mel narrowed her eyes. Bella craned her neck around and asked, "Where's Hunter?"
"I thought he was with you," Mel said. She turned to her... father? Bella didn't know what to call him. "Where is he?"
"He's fine. Probably just got lost. I'll go look for him." Dominic shuffled back out into the storm.
Bella wrung out her hair and shucked off her shoes. Mel handed her a pile of clean clothes and Bella pulled them on, not caring if Mel saw her or not.
The clothes included a dark tunic, a belt for knives, tight but flexible pants, and a pair of leather boots.
"There's a weapon room over here," Mel said. She led Bella over a closet and pulled it open. Bella's mouth opened in shock.
Weapons of every kind were shoved into the closet. One wall was covered completely in knives. Bella traced the sharp points as she surveyed the rest. A sword with a blue gem stuck inside the pommel took up most of the back wall. A quiver full of arrows next to a bow were tossed on the floor. Bella pulled a wicked looking thing off the wall.
"What is this?"
Mel took it and flipped it in the air. It soared towards the wall before turning and circling back. "It's a boomerang." She caught it and handed it to Bella.
The wooden shaft was smooth and didn't pierce her as she stroked it. A small mark was carved into the wood. The same mark as the one she saw in the cave.
"What does this mean?"
"It's our symbol," Mel said. "It's a moon inside the sun. It's supposed to represent something, but I don't remember. You'll find it all over the place out here."
Bella lifted a dagger and studied the hilt. Sure enough, it was engraved into the leather. She flipped it and threw it across the room. It sank into the wood.
"Who made these?"
"I did." Mel picked a knife of her own and threw it. It sank into the hilt of the one Bella just through.
"But Hunter was teaching you how to sharpen a blade."
"Can't blow my identity, can I?" She threw another and landed in the wood next to Bella's. "I have to hold back. If someone found out I was the ward of Dominic, I'd be dead."
"I understand." Bella strode across the room and removed the knives. She asked as she put them in her belt, "Why do you trust me?"
"I don't know. You're just... different." Mel crossed her arms, now a familiar gesture. "Do you trust me?"
"Of course."
"Then tell me why you're going on a quest."
Bella hesitated before telling her. She started by having Shayde in her dungeon, going to the Oracle, and trying to save her kingdom. She left out the ultimatum again. Mel's eyes narrowed as if she knew she was holding something back but didn't press it.
"Wow. No wonder you're all worked up all the time."
Bella flushed. "I am not."
"Are too."
"Are not."
"Let's settle this in a sword fight, then." Shall we?" Mel drew the sword from the back of the closet. Bella chose a slim rapier and nodded. She gave Mel time to throw her hair back into a ponytail before lunging.
By the time Dominic returned, the two girls had trashed the place. Bella had accidentally overturned the table to use as a shield. Plates and cups were smashed on the floor from when they had fought on the counter. They had carefully avoided the plants though. No telling what type they were. Mel had thrown a burnt log at Bella and ash coated the floor. Dominic opened the door as Bella was about to overturn the cauldron on Mel's head.
They froze when they saw him. He was covered in scratches and blood oozed from a wound on his leg. Bella stepped forward but he waved her off. He surveyed his room with cold eyes. Mel slipped around and tried to sweep a broken vase under the rug, but he held out a hand.
"Ladies." A gust of wind blew through, straightening everything and sweeping broken shards of glass into the fire. Bella held her breath as he waited for him to kick her out, to decide not to help her, to decide she wasn't worth it. "Next time you want to fight, please go outside."
Bella released her breath. Across the room, she felt Mel do the same. A smile bloomed across her face. A real, genuine smile. Mel started at the sight of it, then began to laugh. Bella joined in, laughing until she couldn't breathe. She straightened as she remembered where, exactly, Dominic had gone.
"Where's Hunter."
"I couldn't find him. The storm is too strong."
"Then I'll go." Mel caught her arm as she attempted to go outside.
"No, Bella. It's too dangerous. Hunter probably went back to Hell or something. I'm sure he's fine."
Bella nodded. He was fine. He had to be fine.
"Okay." She nodded again. "What do we do while we wait?"
Mel smiled again. "How about another duel?" She turned to Dominic. "Do you want to join?"
"Who can say not to a fight?" Dominic grabbed a sword and tied a cloth around his cut. "Let's begin."
They dueled the rest of the day. Only when Dominic collapsed did they stop. They dressed his wound and dragged him over to Hunter's empty bed. He was snoring by the time they managed to get him up. He weighed a lot for someone who was supposedly ancient.
Mel and Bella stared at the fire, listening to the storm rage outside. The wind howled like a thousand lonely wolves, trying to find their way home. It was a while before Mel spoke.
"My mom was a slave in Renada," she said. Bella didn't break her gaze from the fire. "She went there for a better life in the Gold Kingdom. She was caught stealing bread." A tear made its way down her face. "The overseer there raped her every time he needed a release. He said she was just too damn pretty." Bella didn't dare breathe. "After a while, she became pregnant with me. She was still forced to work. Mining rock every day. She would be whipped if she paused for a second. Still, she carried me. The few allies she had there would give her their rations. Some of them starved." She took a deep breath before continuing.
"A few days after she had me, the overseer came back. He didn't want to fuck a pregnant girl. So he waited until I was born. One of her allies tried to intervene. He was killed. My mom gave me my name that night." Tears were now rolling down her face. Bella placed a hand on her knee. "Her friend's name was Melvin. So that was my name. She said it means a friend of justice. A few hours afterward, she went on a rampage. She killed twelve overseers. The one who raped her was the first to go. She spent the most time on him.
"They found me the next day. I was wrapped in a blanket underneath a pile of rocks. The only reason I was found was because I was crying. They debated killing me. One of the kinder"—her face twisted on the word—"overseers took me. He dumped me out in the woods. It was pure luck that Dominic found me.
"A few years ago, when I was ready, I went back. I slaughtered all of them. I freed the slaves. The ones who had stayed there after my mother killed them begged for their life. I made them tell me where she was buried. Instead, they told me everything that they had done with her. I still don't know where she's buried."
Bella stared into the fire. She had never thought about those caves. Where slaves worked until they were dead. If that was what it was like in Renada... She turned to Mel. Her face was blank, even as tears trailed down her cheeks. Bella brushed one away.
"How can you work with me?"
"Because you have a system. No slaves. Only the guilty are tortured. My mother went to that one place that was supposed to be the most peaceful. She died for it."
"Mel, I'm..." Bella trailed off. She didn't know what to say. "She sounds like a wonderful person."
"She was." Mel's voice broke and she collapsed. Whatever hold she had on herself shattered. Bella held her as she sobbed. The storm outside softened as if sensing the broken girl within. Softly, Bella began to sing.
It was an old song, one that hadn't been uttered in centuries. Her mother had learned it, and sung it at her grandmother's funeral. Only the royals knew it. It was in a different tongue, too.
The song rose and fell. Bella's voice was by no means gentle, but raw and thick. Mel stopped sobbing as Bell sang but still shook. The music wrapped around them like a cocoon, keeping them safe. It weaved between them, soothing each of their souls. By the time she finished, Mel was asleep.
Bella brushed her hair out of her face. Her face was red in the fire's glow. Tears had created trails on her face and she wiped them away. When she was sleeping, the hard lines of her face softened. She looked younger than she was.
Carefully, as to not disturb her, Bella lifted her and carried her over to her bed. Her silver hair spilled around her like a halo. The sheets whispered as Bella pulled them around her. She took one last look at the girl before going to the door to wait for Hunter.
She thought about the caves in Renada. How many times had she been there and ignored them? Each time, she had laughed at the screams of the tortured. She had thought they were all murderers and rapists. Little did she know, the murderers and rapists ruled the camps. How many slaves were guilty of petty crime? Or innocent? Bella's anger rose in her. Once all this was over, she had a place to visit.