Chapter 11

Bella woke to a girl shaking her. She groaned and turned away. The girl poked her this time. Bella didn't get up. A sharp object pricked her back.
"Ow!" she exclaimed. She sat up and rubbed the spot where the dagger had struck her. "Why'd you do that?"
"It's almost time to go." Mel poked at Hunter. "Can you wake him up? I need to get Dominic to unleash your powers."
Bella nodded as she moved away. She heard Dominic moan across the room. The metallic tang of blood drifted up to her nose.
"Hunter." She nudged him. "Wake up." He raised a hand to flip her off. She saw his finger had not grown back yet. "Mel, get the magic working. Hunter, we need to go to Hell."
"Why."
"To get the Elder Sword."
He grumbled for a minute before sitting up. Bruises colored his bare chest. A deep gash extended from his shoulder down to his sternum, like someone was about to perform an autopsy. That someone was Dominic. She threw a glare over her shoulder as she helped Hunter stand. She heard Dominic bark a curse, then a flood of power burst through her. Hunter's cut began to close and his bruises disappeared. She summoned a flame and smiled down at it. I missed you, she thought. Hunter tugged off his bandage to watch his finger grow back.
"That was unhelpful," he said. His eyes burned as he looked up at her. "Thanks."
"Don't thank me. Thank her," Bella said, motioning to the girl untying Dominic. His hands were covered in bloody bandages and he moaned as he stood. Mel snapped at him to shut up.
"You helped."
"No. She did it all."
He studied her. "It was satisfying to hear his screams all night."
Her mouth curved upward. "It was."
"How are your hands?"
"They'll be better as soon as Sanriel heals me. If she does."
"I'll make sure she does." He grinned at her. "You were right about him."
"I'm sorry I didn't find you earlier."
He touched her cheek. His callouses scraped across her skin as he drew her closer. "You have nothing to be sorry for."
She leaned in and kissed him. "I can't wait for my hands to heal so we can spend some time alone."
He smirked. "That means I have a lot of time to decide how I'm going to worship you." She tensed at the growl in his throat. He noted the movement and his hands twitched. She wanted him now and knew he felt the same way. Curse her damned hands.
"Guys." Mel appeared beside them. Dominic hobbled around in the kitchen. She narrowed her eyes at them. "We should go now. Can you summon an entrance?"
"Yeah. I need to go outside." He strode out into the grass and began to chant. Red clouds began to spin around him.
Mel looked at Bella. "You two don't like Hell, do you?"
"Nobody in their right mind does."
"What's so bad about it?"
She gave Mel a sideways grin. "Everything."
Hunter finished his chant and a tunnel appeared. Bella saw Dominic in the doorway as she stepped inside. He grinned at her as the winds whisked her away.
The tunnel spat her out of a cave onto the scalding hot sand. She twisted in time to catch Mel as she came through. The girl's shoes melted immediately and Bella ended up carrying her. Hunter appeared last, sealing the cave behind them.
"Welcome to Hell," he said, the words flat.
A red, barren landscape stretched out in front of them. Fire engulfed the sand to the left of them and a cliff plunged to who knows where to the right. Straight ahead were mountains lit up by a fiery glow. A palace was carved into them. Bella was fine with that, then the screams reached them.
They came from everywhere. Some came from the cliff, others from the fire. There were so many Bella had to squeeze her eyes shut. Mel was lifted from her and she clapped her hands over her ears. It did nothing to block them out. Normally she cherished screams. These were different. These were screams of death, of endless pain. The screams of the ones subject to the worst place you could go to.
A gust of wind blew sand into her eyes. Once it cleared, she saw a chariot pulled by two skeletal horses. The chariot was built of solid gold. So much. She wondered how the horses could pull it. Hunter lifted Mel into it then helped Bella in.
"Take us to the palace," he ordered the horses. "Take me to my father."
The horses took off across the desert. As they crossed. Bella observed some souls receiving punishment. One was forced to run across glass over and over. Another was tied to four horses. They ran in different directions, pulling him apart. That should've been the end, but he rematerialized, already tied. He screamed as he was pulled apart. She averted her eyes and glanced at Mel. Her face was pale as she listened. Bella cursed. Why would she bring her here, when her mother was a slave? She noticed her staring and met her eyes. It's okay, she seemed to say. They are guilty.
The screams grew quieter as they drew closer to the palace. It was made of red gold and glinted in the red sun. Sharp spires shot into the sky from four towers. A bridge made of the same gold connected the main palace to a smaller one. The main one seemed to grow out of the mountain, all sharp edges and smooth walls.
The horses stopped below the bridge. It cast a shadow over them. Bella didn't speak as they waited. A figure descended, its massive wings flapping. A scythe gleamed in the figure's hands. It landed and Bella leaped forward to her friend.
She embraced the winged figure. A sob came out of her throat and the figure hugged her back. Dark, feathery wings closed around them. Bella pulled back to see her friend's face. Her skin was deeply tanned and her hair was the same color as the fires she worked with. Scales ran across her body. Every time Bella saw them, she was reminded of the dragons Sanriel was descended from. She'd done her best to tame it but a couple of strands still frizzed into the air. Her scythe gleamed in the red light.
"Sanriel," Bella said. "I've missed you."
"I've missed you, too," Sanriel said. Her wings closed around them. Bella pulled back and started to say something when someone yelped behind them.
Sanriel's wings opened and she stepped back. She saw Mel being helped down by Hunter and her eyes went wide. Sanriel stepped in front of Bella and snarled at Hunter, "What is a Nonmag doing here?"
"She's with us," Hunter said.
Sanriel's hands clenched around her scythe. Various knives and swords were strapped to her. "Why."
"She's helping us." Bella stepped around her and made Sanriel look at her. "Don't hurt her."
Her wings still flared behind her, but she relaxed her grip on the scythe. She scanned Bella head to toe and noticed her hands. Bella had bandaged them before they left but the cloth was beginning to melt in the heat. Red skin appeared and Bella tried to cover it up. Sanriel grabbed her hand and tore off the bandage.
"What happened."
"A flock of birds attacked me. Can you fix them?"
A hint of a smile brushed across the woman's lips. She nodded and said, "The King wants to see you first."
Her stomach lurched as the words barreled into her. Of course, he wanted to see them. He probably sent the chariot just for them. She ground her teeth. They hadn't discussed what they would say yet.
"Can't he wait?"
Sanriel looked at her. "No." Her nose twitched. "Hurry up so you can take a bath."
"Are you suggesting I stink?"
"You do." Sanriel smiled and Bella's heart warmed. She had missed her so much and told her so. Sanriel only blushed and lifted her into the air. A gust of wind had Hunter and Mel following them.
Sanriel's wings beat as they rise up to meet the bridge. A giant, fiery waterfall crashed down the mountain and singed Bella's hair. The only thing that wasn't red here was their clothes. Everywhere Bella looked, red, red, red. She was starting to hate the color.
Her feet brushed the bridge and trumpets blared. Hunter dropped Mel and he led them through the doors.
They stride into the hall. A black throne made of hardened lava sat at the end. Occupying the throne was a man Bella could only describe as the scariest being on the planet.
Blond hair the same color as Hunter's was pinned back into a long braid. Eyes as dark as night studied them as they approached. He stood and Bella shrank back at the sheer size of him. With broad shoulders and muscular arms, he looked like he could crush a mountain. A crown of black spikes decorated his head.
"My dear Bella," he boomed. She flinched. "Come here." He beckoned her to him and she complied. Her ribs were crushed as he hugged her. "How are you?"
"I'm fine, sir," she said. Her voice was shaking and she fought to control it as she said, "How are you, sir?"
"Excellent, excellent. I'm doing well myself." He looked over her. "Son."
Hunter dipped into a bow. "Father." Several shapes materialized behind the throne. Five boys and a girl. An empty space was like a missing tooth between the fourth and sixth boys. A space reserved for Hunter.
"And what is this lovely thing?" the King of Hell said, gesturing to Mel.
Mel curtsied as Sanriel said, "She's one of Bella's friends." Bella noticed she didn't say Hunter's friend. A good choice. She nodded at the redhead in thanks.
"You're dismissed." A boy no older than ten came to take Mel away. "Give her one of the nicer rooms. Nothing extravagant." The boy bowed and led her away. Hunter and Bella were left at the mercy of the King.
He settled back into his throne. A young woman with dark hair stood next to the throne. Her skin was dark, darker than Sanriel's, and shone in the light. She was wearing a sheer red gown that did little to nothing to cover her body. Bella saw Hunter staring at the woman, disgust woven into his features. This must be the newest wife, then. Or lover.
"What did you come here for?" the king asked. He pulled the woman closer and trailed a finger down her back. Her face showed no emotion.
"We came to request an army, sir." She told him about her quest. His eyes widened as she talked. She didn't dare mention the Elder Sword.
After she finished her story, with Hunter jumping in at some parts, the king sat in silence. The only sound was the roar of the fire waterfall.
"So, how many times did Hunter fail?" was the first thing he asked.
"Oh, no, sir, he didn't fail," Bella said quickly. "He was just doing his duty."
"His duty is to defeat his enemies!" the king roared. "How many times?"
"Three times, sir," Hunter said. "I failed three times."
"That is three times too much."
"I understand, sir." Bella caught a flash of panic across his features before he was the picture of calm. "I apologize."
"You know what that means." The king tugged the woman down into his lap and kissed her neck. The woman arched into his touch as he stroked her stomach.
"Yessir."
"Bella, you are dismissed. We will have dinner and we can finish this discussion."
"Of course, sir." She knew better than to say anything else and exited the room as fast as she could. Sanriel grabbed her arm as she broke into a run.
"Slow down," Sanriel said. "What's wrong?"
"What's wrong?" She rounded on her friend. "What's wrong is that fucking asshole is about to beat Hunter. And there's nothing I can do!"
Sanriel held her as she broke down. "He will endure."
"That's what everyone says. Have you seen the scars on his back?" Sanriel shook her head. "The king doesn't allow them to heal. It's revolting."
"Let me fix your hands." Bella shoved her away.
"How can you say that while he's in there?"
"Bella--"
"No. Stop." She covered her face. Sanriel gripped her arm and led her away.
The palace was a maze of twists and turns leading into the mountain. The infirmary was in the back. The only light they got was from whatever they could burn.
Sanriel unwrapped her hands and poured a liquid onto them. Bella hissed. The skin began to close and the cuts faded. The one on her finger, though... It was an ugly purple color and seemed to close from the bone up.
"It's going to scar, isn't it?" Bella asked.
"Yes." Sanriel turned to her table and grabbed a salve. "This will make it less prominent."
"I want to keep it."
"Why am I not surprised?" Sanriel rolled her eyes and put the tin away. The scar was raised above her skin and was a light purple. She studied it.
"I like it," she decided. "So, what happened since I last saw you?"
"The king had three new wives. Each gave him a couple of kids before dying. This new one is the fourth. She's a beauty but isn't that smart."
"What's her name?"
"Delilah. She's pregnant right now. Not very far along."
Bella grimaced. Every time one wife died, the king went straight to the next one. The only one he truly loved was Lilith, Hunter's mother.
Bella turned to Sanriel. "Let's go to my room." They talked about the city as they walked. Who married who, which kids turned out to be too nice or too mean, and the king. Apparently, there was a new threat that Hell faced, and the king was struggling with that.
She pushed open the door to her room and strode in. No matter how many times she came here, she could never get used to the splendor.
The king had her room specially made for her. White walls with small swirls of gold paint reflected the red sun. Her bed was huge and took up the middle of the room. A canopy gave her privacy from her servants as she slept. One wall was covered in bookshelves and the other in closets. One closet for dresses, another for weapons, and one entirely for her lingerie.
Sanriel rolled her eyes as Bella sprawled on her bed. "I've missed this room so much."
"Not me?" Sanriel put a hand to her chest and pretended to be wounded. "That hurt."
Bella motioned to Sanriel to lay down beside her. The bed frame groaned as she did. Her feathers brushed against Bella's face. The two women gazed up at the ceiling. When she was younger, Bella had painted the night sky. Her favorite constellations, like Leo and Orion, were painted first. The moon was in the corner so the main focus was the stars.
"I wish I could see it," Sanriel said. "With my own eyes."
"We traveled to Levaria. I've never seen so many stars," Bella replied.
"Was it pretty?"
"The prettiest thing is ever seen."
Sanriel smiled. She had never left Hell. Her punishment for being born down here was she could never go above. An idea blossomed in Bella's head.
"When I ask the king for reinforcements, I'll ask if you can come. Even if you see the sky during the war, you will see it."
Sanriel squeezed Bella's hand. "Thank you." Her shoulders shook and a sob escaped from her mouth. "Thank you."
"You're my best friend. I would give the world to you if I could." Bella propped herself on her elbow and grinned at Sanriel. "Once I've been crowned the True Queen, I will visit you anytime I can."
"The True Queen?"
"I was told that either I or my enemy was the True Queen."
"It's you. I know it." Sanriel wiped her tears away and sat up. "I can say I know the True Queen." She sniffed and wrinkled her nose. "Now take a bath."
Bella clicked her tongue. The bed groaned again as Sanriel got up and moved to the door. She said over her shoulder, "When the king calls for you, you better be sparkling." The door shut behind her and Bella made a rude gesture. A thud from the other side told her Sanriel had kicked it.
Her bathroom was as lavish as her bedroom. A marble bathtub sat on a raised dais with a rack of different scents next to it. She turned the water on and brushed through her hair as it filled it. On the other side was a mirror that stretched from ceiling to floor. Small flowers were engraved into the sides of it.
She studied herself in it. Her body seemed a lot thinner than it was when she first started the quest. Her face was more gaunt but was still beautiful beyond expectations. The red eyes that once glowed were now dim and her hair hung limply around her face. If there was a poorer version of Queen Belladonna, this was it.
The bath finished filling up and she scrubbed herself clean. She chose her favorite scent, almond, and rubbed it into her skin.
Water slid along her skin as she threw open her closets. A piece of red lingerie combined with a black dress seemed suitable for dinner. Her insides curled as she thought about the king. What was he doing to Hunter?
A knock on her door pulled her from her thoughts. A young boy stood in the hall, holding a box with a gold ribbon. "Miss Belladonna?" He held it out in front of him. His eyes settled on her chest and she considered gouging his eyes out. "This is for you."
She grabbed and slammed the door shut. What was wrong with the people in this forsaken place? Paper crinkled as she opened the lid. The fire inside threatened to burst out of her as beheld what was in the box. The box thudded to the ground and she fell down beside it. A note fluttered out and she grabbed it.
For my sweet Belladonna. I would love this to be worn when I see you for lunch. No weapons.
It was not signed but she knew exactly who it was from. Half a thought and the note was ash. She winced and dressed.