5

I stirred awake to a room with blinding lights. I slowly blinked, letting my eyes focus as I tried to sit up.
"Hey, hey don't try to move to much. You lost a lot of blood," a voice said while rushing to the side of the bed I was in. My father.
"W-wha-" I said, angered by his presence.
"You ripped your arm open and lost a lot of blood," he explained calmly. I closed my eyes in frustration, seeming it was the only way to get away from my father. I heard him sigh and walk away. After a while, I heard someone else enter the room.
"How's she doing?" It was Raihan.
"She woke up, asked what happened, got mad that she was talking to me and went back to sleep," my dad explained in an annoyed tone.
"What were you two doing out there anyway?"
"She asked if I could help teach her some battling basics and could some new pokemon. I didn't realize how... spontaneous she can be. Running away after a small argument,"
"Not spontaneous. Impulsive. She's been like that her whole life. When she was little and I'd have to go to work, she would sometimes get so upset that she would throw whatever was closest to her as far as she could. Its like she didn't even realize she was doing it," Impulsive. After leaving me for years, he has the audacity to call me impulsive.
A bit of silence followed that.
"She's got eyes for you, doesn't she?" My father said coldly.
"What? No, we met yesterday. We're friends, she could use some and she's good company,"
"So you like her?"
"Nope, she's definitely a personality, but again, we met yesterday,"
Another break.
"She's too young to have a boyfriend or anything like that. Just yesterday, she was the little 4 year old that admired me. I was her superhero. Now, she's too upset with me to even talk,"
"Well, maybe she'll come around. Probably just needs time,"
"Hopefully. She's a stubborn one, so who knows? I wish I could have her back, but I guess it's my own fault. You can head on home, y'know,"
"Yeah, but I'd rather stay til she wakes up. Where's she staying tonight?"
"Depends if they release her. Might ask if she can stay overnight and send her back to Ballonlea tommorow. Better get rested up for tommorow," my dad then left the room. Raihan scuffled across the room and sat down. I heard him slip out his phone.
"You are awful at fake sleeping," he said. How did he know? I hadn't moved or anything. I decided to play it off that I was asleep.
"Come on, Sylvia," he said playfully. I opened up my eyes and groaned.
"How could you tell?"
"Your breaths are way too fast. When asleep, your breath and heartrate slow drastically,"
"Whatever,"
"How are you feeling?"
"A bit nauseous, other than that, I'm not sure,"
"You lost a lot of blood,"
"Yeah, feeling the effects of it,"
He then proceeded to reach into his pocket and handed me my phone, the screen fixed and it now turned on.
"Oh wow, you got the fixed quick,"
"Sweetheart, you've been in the hospital for 4 hours. Replacing the screen took 10 minutes,"
"Wow, 4 hours? What did I do for that long,"
"Pretty much, you slipped in and out of a daze til the taxi got us and they knocked you out once you got here,"
"How longs my dad been here?"
"I called him right after we got here, he already told your mother and grandmother, and they couldn't get out here so he said he'd handle it,"
I responded with silence. Raihan grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I looked up at him.
"You had me real worried there, I'm glad you're alright," he gave me a soft smile. I returned it, leaned in and kissed him again. This time, he pulled away.
"We probably shouldn't," he whispered. I nodded, slouching back under the covers.
"I am impulsive," I said glumly.
"That's not a bad thing,"
"When it almost results in me dying, yeah it is a bad thing,"
"Okay, yeah, but I can be useful, like in a tough or threatening situation," he insisted. I raised my eyebrows at him before rolling my eyes.
"So, you've kissed me twice, so I'm assuming you like me?"
I felt my face heat up. I really hadn't stopped and thought about it.
"I mean, I don't know. You're pretty hot,"
Raihan let out a laugh and cracked a smile, causing me to relax some.
"I mean, I guess I don't know you well enough to actually like you as a person, though so far I like it,"
Raihan nodded.
"Well, you're not so bad looking yourself, but I'm not really in a place to be with someone right now. Y'know, after you left yesterday, the champ and I hung out for awhile, and he admitted that he thought you were cute. Not gonna lie, I saw you checking him out too," Raihan said.
"W-what? Whatever, I was definitely not. Besides, why would the most famous person in the region like me? Probably just to gain my father's favor," I said doubtfully, shocked that Leon would find someone like me attractive.
"Nah, Rose already loves Leon, besides, he made it abundantly clear that if someone is with you, he won't be happy about it. Leon also has no idea that your his daughter,"
I sat there and pondered for a minute. Maybe I could keep it a secret from everyone about who my father is. I'd definitely receive special treatment and such if people knew.
"I'm too old for you anyway, Sylvia. There's a 6 year gap between us, and that's not the kinda thing that goes unnoticed, especially when young,"
"Ohhhh, so you would date me?" I said, trying not to laugh. "How old is that knight in Shining armor then?"
"A knight in shining armor, huh?" He said, amused by my nickname.
"Yeah, everyone seems to believe how wonderful and strong he is, kinda like a night. His shirt even had a sword and a shield, what knights use. Maybe that's why he's better than you, he slays your dragons!"
Raihan shot me an offended look as his jaw dropped.
"W-whatever! You just admitted to checking him out so I see this as a win for me. And you've thought about him enough to come up with that. Obviously, you cant resist of Galar boys. That's a clever nickname though. By the way he's 20, so that is an acceptable age gap,"
"I did no such thing, and who deems it acceptable, you?"
"Society," he said blandly, looking down at his phone screen.
We sat in silence for a while before a doctor came in.
"Well, you're free to go, miss," he said.
That was quick. I didn't like the hospital anyway.
"Of course, the flying taxi is backed up. They need to step it up," I said angerly.
"Just stay with me tonight, my apartment is big, it has an extra bedroom,"
"I'm not sure my folks will fly with that,"
"Tell them there was a room rented for you in a hotel,"
"Lying is bad,"
"Shut up and go tell them,"
I grumbled as I stepped away from him to call my mom and grandma. They believed it and told me to eat dinner and drink plenty of fluids. I went back over to Raihan and he smirked at me.
"Works like a charm,"
He proceeded to take me back to his apartment across town. He unlocked the front door to reveal a large living room with a kitchen attached, along with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms.
"Wow," was all I could get out.
"This is pretty modest, especially compared to Leon's apartment in Wyndon. We gym leaders do make a fair amount here in Galar," he explained, dropping my stuff on the floor.
"If only I could live in the city instead of Ballonlea. It's cool for about 5 minutes,"
"Yeah, we're right in the middle of Galar, plenty of city and it's not too far from Wyndon,"
He guided me over to the couch and had me sit down.
"So, you've been to Leon's apartment before?" I asked. I didn't think the two were that close.
"Plenty. When I stay in Wyndon for different things, we become roomies. We're pretty close friends, despite him being my mortal enemy,"
"Sounds like a weird friendship,"
"Eh, a little competition never hurt anyone," he said blandly.
"What's the champ like, anyway?"
"Competive. Confident. Protective. A bit naive. Terrible with directions. I can't even tell ya how much he gets lost,"
"Haha, really?"
"Yes, kinda pathetic in a way. But no one's perfect,"
I nodded, leaning back on the couch it's hard to believe how much has happened in the span of a day.
"Alright, so whatcha want to eat?" Raihan asked, standing up.
"A quesadilla,"
"Alright, there's a place with good takeout a couple blocks away, they have Mexican. You want to order from there?"
"Sure,"
He left the room to go order food. I stood up and snooped around. His coffee table had wooden legs and a glass, transparent top. On top lied a few coasters, and a stack of some papers. There were bills, letters, fan mail. Then there was an envelope with a letter inside with the return address of my father. I heard Raihan coming back and sat back on the couch, shoving the letter in the waistband of my pants.
"It'll be here in like 40 minutes,"
"Great,"
He gave me a weird look before sitting down.
"You alright?" He asked. Could he tell I'd been snooping in his stuff? I tensed up at his remark.
"Yeah, I just need to use the bathroom,"
"Down the hall, first door on the left," he said, still giving me a weird look. I stood up and followed his directions. I closed the door and pulled the letter out, debating whether to take it out or just slip it back on the table when Raihan wasn't looking. It hadn't been opened yet.
I turned on the faucet and slowly tore the envelope open. Inside, was a few papers. First, was a paycheck, for being the gym leader. It said for a 2 week period of being out of gym challenge season, Raihan had made 8,000 dollars. Woah, gym leaders made a lot of money. The next thing I took out was a letter, handwritten by my father himself. It consisted of saying what a job well done Raihan had done taking care and running the Hammerlocke gym, as well as being in charge of all the other gymleaders. So, he would be my boss once I took over the Ballonlea gym? The next part of the letter was thanking him with help with the most recent matter, which wasn't stated. And that he expects weekly updates on the situation, and if this is revealed to anyone else, his position as the Hammerlocke gym leader and the director of Galar gyms would be immediately terminated? What was my father referring to? Why was he blackmailing Raihan?
"Sylvia, you alright? You've been in there for like 10 minutes," Raihan said as he gently knocked on the door. I quickly put the letter and check back into the envelope, resealing it before I put it back in my waistband.
"Sylvia?" He said, his voice showing worry. I had to find an excuse, quick. I sat down on the floor and leaned my back against the sink and put my knees up to my chest, resting my elbows on them, and dropping my head into my hands.
"If you don't answer me I'm coming in,"
I stayed silent, and he slowly opened the door and saw me sitting on the floor. I lifted my head a bit and looked at him with the most miserable expression I could put on. When I saw his face register concern, I knew I had him fooled.
"Hey, what happened?" He asked, squating down.
"I-I-I got dizzy so I sat down, and then I got so shaky I couldn't stand up," I said quietly, doing my best to sound out of sorts and shaken up.
"Hey hey hey, it's alright. I'll help you back to the living room. You probably just need to eat, food will be here soon,"
I nodded in response as he gently wrapped an arm around my mid back to pull me up, keeping his arm there until I was on the couch.
"I'll get you some water," he said, going to the kitchen. Once he was out of sight, I pulled the envelope from my waistband and put it in the middle of the pile of papers, throwing myself back down as I heard footsteps approaching. Raihan entered the living room and handed me a glass of water, sitting down beside me. I slowly drank it then reached out and put it on the coffee table.
"Good now, sweetheart?"
"A bit better," I replied.
"I think this is a great reason why not to run off in the wild area by yourself without a strong pokemon to protect you," he said smugly with a small smile. I cracked a smile.
"Okay mother,"
"Its more of a common sense thing than a nagging mother thing,"

Our food came shortly after, and we ate in the living room. It was past dark, about 9 o'clock.
"Did eating help?" Raihan asked after cleaning up some.
"Yeah,"
"That's good," he said, turning on the T.V. "got a favorite show or movie?"
"Not particularly,"
"Alright then," he said, flipping to a channel with some sort of action movie. I dozed off while watching, leaning into Raihan's strong, warm chest. I felt his arm wrap around me as I drifted into a deep sleep.