²⁷foolish

[ dedicated to HyllaTK, happy birthday bb ]

clementine

I push my keys into my apartment door, turning and pushing it open. Once I quietly close it, I pause, hearing some guitar strumming from far away, paired with an angelic voice I could only recognise as Luke himself.

I smile to myself, taking my shoes off and storing them in the cabinet.

I take off my coat and bag and rest them on the sofa, quietly making my way into my room, where his voice is loudest from.

The peak into the open doorway, his back facing me with my guitar in his arms. He's mumbling on the words, looking down at my journal and seemingly trying to figure out a tune.

He goes back and forth between two tunes, playing them with different chords and finally settling with a tune that melded both two original melodies together.

"That sounds great," I say, watching him jump in his seat, whipping his head towards me.

"Clementine - you scared me there for a second," He laughs and I walk further into my room, admiring his dimpled smile.

"Sorry, but it did sound awesome," I stand in front of him, looking down with a fond smile. "You're a wonderful artist," I say, brushing some of his hair away from his face.

I avoid his eyes, knowing they'd be prying right into mine.

"Says the person who wrote the poem,"

I roll my eyes, sitting down beside him. "Shut up. What have you got so far?"

He wraps his hand on the neck of the guitar and begins playing a progression of chords. "Um... I changed the lyrics a bit to make it flow more into this... just a sort of rough melody thing," He clears his throat and glances between the frets and the poem. "Your type of mind, so hard to find. Native of mine, you're just my kind."

His eyes are focused on the words of my journal, brows ever so slightly furrowed as he sings each word aloud. I don't mind how he'd changed my poem, it fit the melody he was going for, and so far, I like it.

As he starts to sing the chorus and I listen intently, keeping my eyes on him as though he might disappear once I look away.

I always have the lingering thought in my mind that at some point, this sweet thing between us will go - and I suppose he will in a week, but I'm hoping hard that we might see each other again after. It's a foolish thought, but I feel as though every second I'm with him, I'm willing to be foolish.

It's an odd thing to realise that I never wanted to be so when I was with Emeric or Aiden - now this light of a man comes along and decides it's his way against mine, and the thing is, I don't mind it. I like it. I like him.

Once he finishes, he looks up with a proud smile. "What do you think?"

"It sounds amazing, Luke, I like what you've done to it," I grab a pen from my desk and rest it between the pages of the open journal, my mind working new words and imagining them as a part of the new song Luke had created. "I have an idea..."

He takes his idling phone and taps on it for a few seconds, placing it back on my bed and revealing that he's recording. "Continue," He tells me, grabbing the pen and uncapping it. "You tell me what to write,"

I quirk a brow. "What, no. No offence, but your handwriting looks like trash,"

He grins, faking an offended gasp as he clutches his chest dramatically. "Me? My handwriting? Trash?"