Chapter Five: The worst Monday

Not edited

  "Who stole your bread?"

    Goody slammed her locker a little too forcefully and turned to Lizzy, "No one. It's only that someone spilt juice all over my white top.... and now everybody can't stop looking at me because I look like something from an art studio and I gave you the only spare shirt I have and you haven't given it back!"

  Lizzy stood stunned for a moment. Slowly, she leaned towards Samantha and whispered not so quietly, "Is something wrong with her?"

   Samantha answered in the same manner, " I  think it has something to do with the fact that she'll have to tutor Clay today."

   "Not everything is about your stupid cousin, Sam!" She snapped back, eyes flashing. As her two friends tried to hold their laughter, Goody rolled her eyes and shut her locker. "When you two are done laughing, you can meet me in English."

  She manoeuvred her way around them and took only a few steps before Lizzy called after her, "Are you sure you want to go to class with that shirt?"

  That brought Goody's angry steps to a halt. Spinning on her heal, she sighed and followed her Lizzy to her locker.

  The hallways were filled at all end. As it was only a few weeks into resumption, some were still flaunting the bags and shoes they had gotten over the summer and some just lingering. A jock had a giggling brown-haired girl to the wall and Goody could guess what he was whispering into her ears, 'You look great today. Wanna hang out later?' 

  It was a typical high school scene. The look was completed by the glass cases on the cream coloured walls that held cups and awards. At the left side was a banner of the school football team. It would have come as a surprise if it wasn't there. The Cliffside wolves had won the Football Melee last year and it wasn't something they could forget that easily.

   At Lizzy's locker, she produced a neatly folded shirt and handed it to her. Handing her books over to Samantha, Goody held it away from her face and looked at it uncertainly.

  Samantha grinned, all but bubbling into laughter as she said, "Isn't that what you wore last Halloween when  Halloween went as Othello?"

  "The very one, " Lizzy answered readily, looking dreamily at it. "I've been keeping it here ever since..."

"You have got to be kidding me, " Goody put the shirt back into the locker. "It stopped a little above my navel the last time I wore it."

  "It isn't that bad," Lizzy said, giving the shirt a once over.

  "I'm not wearing it."

  "Your jeans are high waisted Goody and those vintage boots, " Samantha piped in helpfully. "It honestly isn't that bad."

  Goody lifted the shirt by its puffy sleeves and with one last sigh, headed to the girls' bathroom. "Let's up it's true."

    ******

  Fortunately for her, the shirt did fit. The only problem was a hem at the back that threatened to tear at any small movement. She was careful not to swing her arms too far or relax her back. Samantha had laughed and told her she looked like a stiff model from retro fashion week and that even made her more conscious of it.

   The little thuds made by her boots, however, made almost all heads turn to her as she made her way into the class. Clay's too. Goody wasn't surprised to see him there. He took English with her for as long as she cared to remember. The only difference was that she had to endure he passes attention so their 'partnership' would be smooth.