Chapter Twelve: Antagonism and Suppressed feelings

Not edited

   As the hints of winter blew on the wind, all the gist in Cliffside high was of the upcoming Winter formal. And yes, of Addison Griffo, the head cheerleader, hitting a million followers on Instagram. Goody had seen it coming. She just didn't think that Addison would throw a party in its honour.

    For once in her life, Goody wasn't so sorry to see the first term of the school year-end. She had never had problems with it before. She wasn't really one to go along with the stereotypical idea that school was for wonks. School was tiring and annoying but she'd managed to manage it all these years. Senior year... Senior year, probably wasn't her year.

   Goody believed that she wouldn't have ended up in this partnership with Clay if she had listened to the basics of trig back in elementary. Then maybe she wouldn't be dragging herself to meet him. There just had to be something about Clay Blackthorn. The way he talked and even walked, fried everyone's circuits and that was what she couldn't stand.

  The basic truth was that he could have changed their principal's mind about the partnership. They could have written a terrible report after the first week, so the principal would give them new partners. Goody didn't want to be the near Clay but she too knew the importance of the tutorials. It may have worked but he didn't put up much of a fight. Now, they were destined to spend two hours a day, three days a week, added to the number of times Sam was planning to lock them in a room together.

    Goody's train of thought broke when Lizzy released a squeal that should have cracked crystal. She seemed to be bursting of happiness as she threw her phone to the ground. Her perfectly manicured fingers flew to her mouth as she tried to keep her feet on the ground.

   Good looked from the phone that probably had a cracked screen to her friend in confusion. "Err, Lizzy? You know you just threw your phone on the ground, right?"

   Lizzy's excitement totally hadn't run down as she was still having problems standing still. "I know! I know!"

    Samantha and Goody shared a look. Samantha said, "What did you see?"

   "Jack asked me out on a date!"

   The news had Goody's eyes widening, "The Jack-Jack?"

   "Yes!" Lizzy replied.

   "The college freshman Jack who you haven't stopped texting since you came back from that summer camp thing?" Samantha asked in the same heartbeat, her enthusiasm matching her friends.

   "Yes!" The ever dramatic Lizzy confirmed. She proceeded to clutch both hands around her heart whilst doing a double spin. "All of a sudden the birds are chirping louder, the butterflies are flying lower. I can see the rainbow in the sun..."

   Students of Cliffside high who ha rounded up their classes for the day earlier, looked towards the sun to see if the rainbow was indeed in it. Disappointed, they turned back to witness what was a unfolding. Now Lizzy had her phone clutched to her chest. "Is this what it means to be in love?"

   Samantha and Goody rippled into laughter. "Come on, Liz, even this is too much for me, " Samantha said, still laughing.

  "When is the date?" Goody asked.

   "I don't know, " Lizzy answered, gazing dreamily at the sky. "We haven't picked one yet."

  Samantha sighed, taking both of her friend's hands. "I'm so happy for you. Finally, we can all go on a triple date. Aaron and I, you and Jack and Goody and Clay." For extra effect, she added a wink in Goody's direction.