Chapter Eleven: Steaming cups of Happiness

Not edited

    It only took two periods for Goody to start speaking to Samantha and Lizzy. When she met them standing by her locker with adorable smiles and hot chocolate, she knew they had concocted a plan to win her over. And they didn't play fair. How could one turn down that steaming cup of happiness?

    The only problem was that by the third period, she was shaking like a puny tree branch in the rain. Lizzy swore that Goody was warming up the class and it was true. Even though she was shivering, she could hardly touch her own skin. All she wanted to do was curl up in a ball and sleep like a fat, contented cat by the fireplace.

   "You should go home, Goody, " Lizzy leaned in and felt her friends head. "Look at you! You are burning up."

    "I have Maths class in a few minutes, " She answered quietly. Her eyes were teary and her nose, red from too much blowing.

   Samantha rolled her eyes, for once looking truly annoyed. "For goodness sake! Can you just stop thinking about school for a minute and focus on is going on? You are ill yet all you think about is school."

  Goody poured, twisting her hands together. "All this wouldn't have happened if you didn't make—, " She turned away from Samantha, frustration and annoyance slipping in. "I am fine."

  "Oh, yes you are. Until you freeze into ice and shatter into pieces. That will be just great!" Samantha shot back and crossed her arms.

  "Sam!" Lizzy let out, hitting her on the head. "That is not helping."

   Samantha quickly turned to Lizzy, her brows raised. "What? Isn't that what she wants?"

  Even Lizzy winced at what she said. Samantha has always been the happy girl who wasn't satisfied until everyone around her was happy too.  Angry Samantha was rare, like hail on a sunny summer day and no one wanted either. It was strange that she'd get mad offer an issue as little as Goody refusing to go home.

   Goody wiped the tear that had escaped and place her head on the desk. For her own good and that of her friends, she kept it down. She and Samantha almost never fought and she didn't want to start now. At least, not over something as silly as 'going home'.

   "I can't go home now. I still have Maths with Clay, " Goody said as more of their classmates came laughing and frowning into the class.

   "Well, he isn't here is he?" Samantha announced, just as the bell for Maths.
rang.

  And she was right. Clay did not come.

******

   It was past five in the evening when Goody started feeling better. Someone had covered her in a couple of thick daisy-patterned blankets, but at least she didn't shiver in the warmth. She didn't bother to call out. She knew her mom would be out, preparing for Sunday's bazaar and Charlotte could be anywhere.

   After Aaron had driven her home, they were lucky to find her father at home. He checked her and it only times a moment before she was back in bed with blankets and sweaters. And now that she was a little better, the warmth was becoming too much.

   She struggled out of the sweater, rubbing at the ache she'd worked in her shoulder by sleeping on one side for too long. She would have to massage it herself before going to sleep again or even a warm bath would do it. Goody felt her phone vibrate before she heard it. Somehow, it had manoeuvered its way under the blankets with her. There was a new message. Some group message, she assumed and indulged herself with the apples on her bed stand.

   Without much enthusiasm, she drank the rest of the soup her father had left her. It wasn't actually tasty but well, you don't care about taste when you are ill, right?