11 - Control

/Chapter 11\

"Patrick."

"Pete."

The two boys glared at each other with an extreme amount of ferocity in their eyes, and I was honestly a little scared to be between them. Is this what they were talking about earlier? Is this what Patrick didn't want me to worry about? I felt a hand on my shoulder trying to pull me back, and I looked over to find Joe trying to move me out of the way.

"What's going on?" I whispered to him over the music.

"It's best that you just stay out of their way," he whispered back. That didn't really answer my question, but I decided to just back up and stay quiet.

"What are you doing here?" Patrick spoke up.

"I wanted to have a good time with my friends. Why else would someone go to a party?" Pete shot back.

"Because they want to get on someone else's last nerve."

"Is that why you came here?"

"I didn't know you were going to be here."

"I didn't know about you, either." Pete glanced over at me, then back at Patrick. "How did she get here?"

"She came with me."

"Do they have to drag me into this?" I mumbled to Joe, and he slowly nodded.

"You're part of this now," he replied.

"But why?" I asked, nearly screeching. I didn't want to be in this! This didn't involve me! Joe opened his mouth to talk, but shut it.

"It isn't for me to say. They would both hate me," he answered. I sighed. What was I involved in that was so bad that I couldn't know about it? Suddenly, someone stumbled into the room, and I looked behind me to see who it was. I was pretty sure he was a senior, but I just couldn't remember what his name was. His brown hair was messed up, little spots of it sticking up here and there as if someone had been running their hands through it, and there was a little amber-colored stain on the front of his white shirt. He grinned as he stepped through the doorway, taking a sip from his red plastic cup. Clearly, he had no idea of what was going on.

"Heeeey guys," he slurred as he lowered the cup from his lips. I admit, he was attractive.

"Not now Brendon," Patrick snarled,
not breaking the gaze between he and Pete. Realization seemed to wash over Brendon as he took in the scene in front of him.

"Oh shit. I'm sorry, uh, I'm gonna go," he quickly apologized, stumbling out of the room and walking back into where he came from. Silence filled the air for another few seconds before Joe spoke up.

"Okay guys, let's calm down a little, alright?"

"What are you doing back?" Patrick angrily questioned, ignoring Joe. Back? He had been to this school before?

"I wanted to come back. What's wrong with that?" Pete said.

"You have no right coming back."

"Who said that?"

"I did. I just got over what happened last time, but then I found out that you said that she was cute." As Patrick said "she", he pointed at me. Pete thought I was cute? I glanced over at him with surprised, semi-wide eyes. This was all just one big confusing mess. Pete confusedly looked over at me, then at Joe with a more angry expression.

"You told him I said that?! What the fuck, Joe?" Pete shouted. Joe just looked down at the floor in awkwardness. I didn't blame him. I wanted to run away right there, leave them all behind and run back home.