Chapter 21

It had been about three weeks since I had had baby Griffin. I was finally getting to sleep after putting Griffin in his crib. I was sound asleep when I felt fidgeting next to me.

"Liam what's wrong?" I asked groggily.

"Nothing. I just really need a drink of water. My throat is super dry," he enlightened me.

"Well go get some water then! Don't keep me up just because you're stubborn!" I snapped. He got out of bed and went down the stairs. I fell back into treasured and precious sleep.

BANG!

I heard a loud crash from downstairs and jolted awake. GRIFFIN!

I jumped out of bed and ran into Griffin's baby blue room and towards his white crib. It's empty!

"LIAM!" I screamed. I ran down the starts.

"Liam! Griffin is gone I.." I stopped short as I came face to face with my biggest nightmare. Kyle.

Liam was on one side of the room with his hands up in a surrender like manner. Kyle stood at the other side holding a sleeping Griffin and a shot with the blue mixture inside close to Griffin's arm. I let a small whimper as I felt horror fill up inside of me.

"Kyle. What are doing?" I asked fear obvious in my tone.
His eyes shined with madness as he grinned at me.

"What I promised to do... I'm getting you back," he answered.

"And you're doing that by threatening my son?" I retorted. He let out a wicked laugh that made his hand with the shot inch closer to Griffin who was amazingly still asleep.

"You mean Liam's son. You wouldn't have a child if it wasn't with me," he told me in an angry tone. I looked at Liam and could see a plan forming in his eyes. He made a notion with his head and I understood.

"You're right. I wouldn't. Kyle... that's your baby," I said hiding the disgust I felt with that sentence. There's literally no way this could actually happen considering we've never slept together before, but maybe just maybe he's too out of it to recognize this fact.

Kyle examined me with his eyes and then smiled looking down at a sleeping Griffin. Please don't notice that Griffin looks a ton like Liam.

"You're right. I can tell," Kyle whispered out his delusion. Please keep thinking that. Griffin started to stir making my heart skip a beat. This monster is holding my child.

"Kyle. Let me put our son to bed. Look how tired he is," I cooed to Kyle. I saw out of the corner of my eye Liam taking baby steps towards Kyle. Not yet Liam.

"Yes... then I can take you to bed Ava," Kyle said. I felt a wave of disgust and hate flow through me, but I ignored it and smiled at him.

I went up to him and took Griffin from his arms. I was turning around to leave when Kyle grabbed my shoulder.

"We never slept together," Kyle informed me with an angry tone. Shoot!

I turned towards him and feigned hurt.

"Kyle this is your son," I acted my butt off trying to convince him. He shook his head lightly.

"Prove it," he said with a smirk. This is my chance to get Griffin away.

I put Griffin a few feet away and walked up to Kyle. I hate myself for what I'm about to do.

I put my arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. I'm sorry Liam. Once I was sure he was into the kiss I moved my hands down to his arms and took the syringe out of his hand. I quickly plunged it into his chest. I turned around grabbed Griffin and ran out the door confident that Liam could handle the rest. I sprinted to the stationary capsule with my baby in my arms. The jostling woke Griffin up and he began to cry. I'm sorry baby, not right now. I had to ignore it as I turned on the holo.

Dr. Griff's face popped up and he looked stressed.

"We're being attacked by my ex boyfriend!" I panted out. Dr. Griff's face paled and he put his head in his hands.

"I'm sending help now," he answered. The screen went blank and Griffin's cries were the only thing to be heard. I finally turned to him and got him to stop crying and then to fall back asleep.

"Ava!" I heard Liam yell out my name.

"Liam! We're by the holo!" I replied. Three seconds later a slightly bruised Liam walked in and engulfed me in a hug. I went to kiss him and he stopped me.

"You have to brush your teeth and mouth wash before I kiss you again. I don't need crazy Kyle germs," Liam answered with a serious face.

I laughed and agreed. We hugged again and we heard the stationary capsule that Liam came from open.

"Ava!" I heard Dr. Griff yell out.

"We're here," I called back. Dr. Griff and about five other buff looking men entered the room. Once they all saw Griffin they stared at him in shock making Liam take him into his arms and hold him protectively. I stepped slightly in front of them feeling mama bear coming out.

"Where is Kyle?" Dr. Griff asked us.

"Unconscious tied up to our staircase," Liam answered.

"Show us," one of the buff guys said. Liam shuffled and handed Griffin to me. We all followed Liam to our house. They took a barely alive Kyle away from us to a hospital and then prison. Dr. Griff stayed behind to speak to us telling the guards to go ahead without him.

"Are you two alright?" He asked us.

"Yes. Griffin is fine too. Though I should put him in his crib," I told them as I went up the stairs and put him on the crib.

I came back and noticed that our living room had a broken chair in it now. Well better broken furniture than a broken person.

I went by Liam's side to catch that they were taking about the blue substance.

"I'm just glad that we got Griffin away before Kyle injected him with it," I said becoming a part of the conversation.

"So Griffin is the name you two decided on?" Dr. Griff asked us changing the topic.

I smiled at Liam and nodded at him.

"Yes it is. We named him after you doctor Dr. Griff. We got Griffin from the name Griff," he explained to Dr. Griff. His eyes filled with unshed tears and he smiled with gratitude.

"Why would you guys do that?" He asked in a cranky voice.

"Well we grew up together and to put it lightly we couldn't stand each other. I hated Liam," I said.

"Hey speak for yourself! I always loved you," Liam interrupted. I smiled at his comment.

"We never would have gotten together if it hadn't been for you pairing us when we tested positive," I explained. Dr. Griff smiled and gave us both a hug.

"You two weren't actually supposed to be matched," Dr. Griff told us. We both gasped at the new revelation and looked at each other.

"You were both matched with other people. However when I was looking over it I came across your brother Dan," Dr. Griff admitted.

"Dan was at the hospital on testing day?" I asked him. My brother was so close to me. I almost saw him again.

"His match had their baby that day," he admitted.

"Dan is a father? He must be so happy," I said out loud. Liam came and hugged me. We pulled apart as Dr. Griff continued.

"He is. Anyways he saw that you two were positives and insisted that you two were matched. He said that you two were meant to be. I regretted it almost immediately when you two started fighting nonstop, but I saw once I married you two that you were meant to be," Dr. Griff finished with a smile.

"Yeah. We were meant to be... despite everything. You're the one for me," I said to Liam as I kissed him. As we kissed I felt all my previous fears wash away. Whether it was about Kyle or the fate of humanity, it was gone. All there is now is Liam. Liam and our family.