Princess No More

Anastasia's POV

A year ago fire blazed in The Shrine of the Amazons, two weeks after Wally died, and the night before his funeral. We had no way of understanding what it meant, we couldn't get a hold of any of my grandmother's spies, but I knew my immediate presence was necessary. Even though it was the last thing I wanted, the day after the funeral I left.

In some sense I did run away, I was expected to become something else by people who didn't know me, and before I could try I ran. To my comfortable place, that actually caused most of my stress. Now that I'm older I've come to accept the fact that I'm never more proud of who I am than by the endless ocean. I'm more than this and my friends have made sure of that, but this place is still connected to me.

"My queen."

I turned to face the woman who approached me on her horse, forcing my heart to part from the sea, and what I missed that lied beyond it. "General Philippus, how can I be of service?"

"There's a new lead."

That was all she had to say to get my horse carrying me back to the palace in record time. "How is-"

"Mommy!"

A blur stretched from the garden, over the stone barrier, and nearly stopped in front of my horse. "Aleena!" I cried worried as she failed to slam on the brakes, and ran into the wall behind me. Senators, General Philippus, and my aunt stand behind me, but know our meeting cannot start until Aleena is taken care of; at this point they've grown used to the intrusions.

Aleena stands on her tottering legs a pout daring to be accompanied by fat tears, but there are already Amazon beliefs in her head, so she tries to shake them away in a very toddler fashion. Thin and fair red ringlets of hair fall in her blue eyes, the sight making me freeze.

"Sweetheart?" I ask jumping off my horse running to her, and once I've scooped my darling daughter in my arms I inspect the welt that will only bother her for a few hours. "This is why you should stay with Chara in the gardens." Her ashamed nod is accompanied by a few sniffles.

She started walking earlier than most kids, and days later she was zipping all over the place terrorizing everyone. Speed like hers, I even told everyone she wasn't that fast compared to her father, hadn't been seen on Themyscira.

I kissed her head relishing in her mischievous smile.

Once I hopped over the edge of the open wall into the garden and dropped her off with Chara I returned to my job. "Sorry about that," I laughed awkwardly adjusting the crown on my head. "Is the princess alright?" One of the senators asked.

"She has a thick head." It was odd. Aleena was born of something they could not comprehend, yet they were all so fond of her. She was their beautiful princess.

I sat back down on the throne that my grandmother used to cradle me in, even as I got too old for such actions. Her crown slides across my forehead reminding me of her presence that pushes me to make decisions on her behalf. Some she would be proud of, some she would not. "I'm assuming this is about a lead on my grandmother?"

"We have reason to believe our rogue amazon has her locked away in man's world based on recent sightings from our spies," my aunt explained from my side.

"If we know where Hippolyta is then we must attack!"

I silenced the courageous soldier with a single flit of my hand growing tired of the same arguments daily. For nearly two years our spies have been sending us promising evidence only to fall short, and here my sisters are still unaware how things work in this world across the sea. "It's not that simple. We have to be careful to abide by the United Nations regulations, especially since Donna is just starting to make change. They'd find a way to frame us as the bad guys. That's the last thing my mother, the League, or I need."