Chapter 7 - Mr Ryan visits his office

"If I have to call you Nathaniel or Mr Ryan," I lowered my voice on his name. "Then you have to call me Adelaide," I told Nate as I made him coffee and toast.

"Are you sure that you're up to coming with me today?" He asked me seriously and although I sighed, I understood why he was asking me.

I had been completely fine last night while we were watching movies and eating pizza. Cuddling up with Nate on his large cosy couch had been supremely satisfying.

The tears hadn't sprung up again until I was getting ready for bed. Realising my favourite pyjamas were at Stanford's had set me right off. Of course, Nate gave me his shirt and held me close. He had said that he'd get my stuff the next day, but I just didn't want to go there, nor did I want Nate to go there either.

I felt fine now after having come to some conclusions last night. The betrayal still hit me with a nasty jab into my stomach if I thought about things too much. That was when I listed the positives, just as I had earlier last night.

"Nate, I'm fine, plus I could do with some humour in my day. You interviewing people should do me just fine," I teased him, and he huffed out a breath.

"Let's go and do this," He tilted his head to look at me as he dumped our dishes in the sink. "Pete's going to be annoyed if I'm late and he's still pretty angry about me leaving early yesterday." He headed for the door with his satchel bag under one arm, and dragged me with the other.

"Give me a sec, Nate," I protested as I reached for my handbag.

"Move it, Adelaide," he told me and I jerked my head towards him. It always sounded so odd when Nate used my real name.

"Alright, Mr Ryan," I taunted as we headed out the door.

"Call me Nathaniel," Nate said breezily, and I laughed.

"Today is going to be so much fun." I rubbed my hands together and Nate groaned in agony.

Nate's office was a surprise to me. It was located next to the warehouse where he built the furniture, and both locations were huge. It was modern, had a brand new smell about it, and seemed to run with efficiency.

I almost snorted as people scurried out of Nate's path. He had his grumpy 'this is the last place I want to be' face on. Nearly everyone we passed would wish Mr Ryan good morning, and Nate practically grunted caveman style at them all. His social skills were ten times worse than I had thought!

"There you are! You can't keep avoiding this Nathaniel," a voice said from behind us and all the office people stopped to watch the display.

"Peter, what have I said before?" Nate's fierceness went up a notch, but the man behind us didn't back down an inch. I had to admire that.

"I don't give a damn. Just choose someone for Christ's sake." Peter, who I guessed was Nate's PA, said exasperatedly.

I turned to look at the man, and I was once again surprised. He was thin, looked to be in his fifties, and was rather tall. He didn't seem like the kind of man that Nate would take orders from. Nate grumbled, taking the man's argument on board without too much of a fight.

"I know Pete, I fucking know! Stop reminding me." Nate replied grouchily.

"So, who's your pretty sidekick?" Peter turned curious hazel eyes on me and I kicked into my most professional mode.

"Hello I'm Adelaide Winston. Mr Ryan asked me to assist you both with the interviews today." I offered him my hand, and his callused hand gripped mine.