Chapter 9 - Bullies are worldwide

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 9 – Bullies are worldwide

It's been a week since what I was referring to as my day of hell. I had no correspondence with either Stanford or Tracey, which was a relief. In the back of my mind though I knew I would have to see them sooner rather than later.

Nate had gone back to his running the day after we went swimming. His deal with me about joining him or our swimming together hadn't been mentioned again so I had left it alone. I didn't want to make things strange between us.

I had spent my time constructively though. I had been working with Peter on how to be Nate's best personal assistant. Today would be my first day all on my lonesome. Not that I was worried about it, I knew Nate. I knew he preferred being in the factory building more than anything else. He hated being in the office if he didn't have to be.

Walking into the office today I felt as home as what I did in Nate's apartment. I had made fast friends with Adele, who I had lunch with most days. Nancy had taken to joining us at the end of the week too but I had a feeling she was after gossip more than friendship.

I felt kind of bad that Nate was left out. He didn't seem to mind though. He had no idea how to respond to any of the people that worked for him except for Peter. All they saw was his gruff exterior and no nonsense attitude. I wanted to show them the Nate I knew but he would always head back to his work building as soon as he was able.

Peter had his farewell drinks the evening before. He was a well-liked man so most of the employees had turned up to wish him well. It had been a good night except that Nate had decided to leave early. I knew how much he didn't like crowds so I let him.

He hadn't gone far though, he had simply been waiting in the car for me. He could be so darn sweet and wonderful. At the same time he could be so stubbornly anti-social.

"Good morning Adelaide. That was a good night last night." Nancy said as I approached her desk.

"Yeah it sure was." I grinned at her, not noticing the sly look she was sending me.

"So I'm pretty sure I saw the boss giving you a lift." Nancy raised her eyebrows.

For the hundredth time I wondered whether to just tell all the curious souls, mostly Nancy, that Nate was my best friend. I always held back because I didn't want the rest of his employees to get carried away with their ideas of us. Nancy had crazy enough ideas already!

"Yeah he did." I replied simply and her curiosity flared but I simply breezed past her into his office.

When Nate wasn't there I at least knew where to look for him. I knew he would forget that he had forms to sign today! I had told him over breakfast but he'd seemed quite distracted.

We had decided to come into work separately today only because Nate was practically out the door after scoffing down some food. He said there was something he had to work on so I swished him on his way. I went down to the train station and headed to work alone.

"Nancy I have to go and find Nate. Can you just have the paperwork ready that he has to sign?" I asked as I rushed past.

"Yes I can have the paperwork ready for Nathaniel." She said slyly.

I realised I had let it slip with shortening Nate's name again. I couldn't help myself but at least Nate hadn't called me Kitty yet. That would be awfully hard to explain, especially to Nancy.

"Thanks."

I went to head out of the office when I realised I was still wearing my sneakers. I sighed and headed back for my new chunky work boots. I had taken to comfort over style for work. It was jeans and a blouse all the way for me. This put a few noses out of joint in the office but I really didn't care. Nate was fine with what I was wearing and that was good enough for me, it was his company after all.