Chapter 2 Part 2: The Game Begins

I watch as Maria nervously stands on the stage. Just as we thought, she was "randomly" picked from the first-year students to demonstrate how magical affinity testing worked. This may sound terrible, but the 28-year-old American college graduate just couldn't sit through the headmaster's speech. Not only was he monotoned, but he had a metronomic speaking pace. Everything blurred together into one uninterrupted sentence that a few minutes in, I had completely lost focus. A couple of times I had peaked at Maria and she looked like she was listening intently. Maybe it was because Japanese teenagers were more studious than Americans or maybe it was because she was living her personal fantasy, but I just don't know how she did it. Oh well. I'll get the cliff notes explanation from her later. 

What kind of person am I? Mentally I'm 11 years older than her and yet on day one, I already have to ask her for class notes. 

"To explain how the magical affinity testing works, may I present Thea Tutorial, The Lady Averest," the headmaster droned. 

Thea.....Tutorial. Tutorial?! No way! Her NAME is Tutorial?! 

I'm laughing. 

I'm laughing so hard I'm in tears. It catches the attention of everyone sitting nearby, but I just can't stop. 

Tutorial! 

Maria's name is LITERALLY Heroine... Heronia. 

Maria is starting at me laughing and she starts snickering too. She caught it too. Oh, thank god. We are going to have a good time with this! 

"Welcome to The Alverest Magic Academy for the Elite!" The - I mean - Lady Tutorial says. "Students upon completion of your first year at the academy will be identified with one of the magical affinities. Additionally, you will specialize in either combat or spell casting. Combat is --"

My mind starts to wander. I'm sure if I had the game script in front of me, her speech is likely word for word. But I didn't pay attention to the Tutorial chapter. I start to look at the people in the hall. I wonder if I can find any of the capture targets? They all should be here. 

I turn around and notice a boy with bright red hair a couple of rows back with a girl snuggled into either arm. He catches my eye and makes a cheeky grin, which I visibly disgust at and quickly turn around. He kinda stood out a bit. My mind is going through the rolodex of information Maria recited last night. Who had red hair again? Not the Prince or Sir Grey for sure. He's a student so not that slimy professor. Oh! The playboy duke with a revenge plot. Victor....something. I take a peek back, and he's staring right at me and makes a little wave. Tsk.

Glancing towards the sides of the hall I notice a very well built man standing by one of the closed doors of the west exit. He has an almost intimidating aura about him and simply looking at him sent a little shiver down my spine. He must be a guard or something. Even though he is a bit far away, it almost looks like his eyes are glowing red. Ok. That's pretty scary and I turn back to the stage. 

Maybe looking for capture targets isn't a good idea right now. 

Focus on Maria. That's my job. 

"....if you don't successfully find your affinity the first time. As you refine your magical talents, your affinity will naturally come to you." The tutorial had continued on. 

"Now Lady Maria, please place your hand over the affinity stone." Affinity stone? Are there six? Do I have to make sure Thanos doesn't get this one? Haha. I crack myself up. 

I start laughing again. Although the death glares I receive this time snuffs out my laughter pretty quickly. 

Maria cautiously places her hand over the jet black ball. It kinda looks like a bowling ball. But one of those pretty bowling balls that has the fancy glitter swirl pattern. 

I lean forward in my seat. What will she get?! Now I'm excited and my heart is pounding in my ears. 

The bowling affinity ball starts to light up and glows a radiant blue color causing gasps in the audience. 

"WATER MAGIC?!" someone screams from the crowd. 

The room erupts with chatter. And my mind is spinning. 

Ok. Water. Capture targets. Who does this benefit? Think. Think.

The Prince! I chose water magic on my first playthrough not caring about any decision in particular. And I remember Maria mentioning that since he is fire, the heroine needs to choose water. The Prince isn't a bad choice, but the assassination plot does come into play. 

Who else? 

Sir Grey. But only if Maria leans towards combat and tactical. While I will be sad to let my bias go, he also is a good choice. The assassination plot is still in play AND we need to save the sister. 

Lord Simon. Again any element other than light, with a spellcasting focus. Solid choice, however, his requirements might be too high. 

Duke Victor Playboy. Maria said water spellcasting, although I don't know why. Thinking back on the redhead I saw earlier, he is not a solid choice. 

Wait a second. This doesn't really eliminate -- 

I stop mid-thought. 

No, it does! 

It eliminates the pedophile teacher! 

"Yeeeeeeeeeeees!" I accidentally cheer out loud.