Chapter 14 - The Melting Point

Aravind & Mila

Mila:
From our CA days I have always turned my back to the family topic and she has always looked at me expectantly. Maybe she was hoping for some dramatic death or abandonment issues. I have always disappointed her in this regard. She attempted her best and I was fed up and time and again told her “Sure, I will speak about it but just not now.” Eventually she started asking me “So, you don’t trust me enough?” and I would reply “I do. But I don’t want to talk about my family.” Sometimes, I would not talk to her for the rest of the day. But once she quizzed me in front of Aravind (at that time I had very less knowledge of him), that I immediately left her place and this spat lasted two long days. Those two days felt longer than 48 hours and after that she has not brought my parents into the picture.

Now that she knows about me and Aravind, I did expect her to bring the topic again. Just didn’t know it will be in the preliminary phase of our relationship. I know her intentions are to help me mend it but not everything can be fixed and she fails to accept that. Well, with Aravind it is all different, he understood my point from my place. Even though we don’t see eye to eye in this, he gave me space and respected who I am. This time wasn’t any different, Nithya apologised and everything went back to normal except this time I knew she wouldn’t poke into it again.

Past midnight I woke up with a migraine as Nithya’s question was lingering in my mind. Reminiscing all about it, I poured myself a cup of hot tea. I wanted to cherish the good old time so I walked into my library to grab the scrap book that Aravind gifted me, in addition to Poo. It reminds me how much I treasure Aravind and adore our relationship. It had our pre – relationship photos where we would sheepishly gawk at each other. Neither of us understood why we didn’t turn away. In most of the photos Nithya would be seen jabbering. Trying to pull this book, the other albums plummeted to the ground; checking if Poo is still asleep, I started rearranging the album in ascending order of my age. I finished arranging my infancy photos which were misplaced previously. I wondered if I had it this way all along. Usually I organise my library including the albums twice in a month, and this seemed weird. I moved to adolescence album but it was missing. searching all over the library. Wanting to relax, I walked over to the bean bag and started clearing papers and documents off  it, I saw Aravind’s laptop charger underneath.

Aravind seemed not to be bothered about the whole parent thing and but then why would he take it without informing? I didn’t realize Poo was awake until she trod between my legs, scratching me with her tiny paws. A paper fell out from her paws reading “Our love will be my top priority only after you”. This was one of the rarest romantic gestures from Aravind. He used to leave notes at odd places. I chose to let him off the hook though I texted Nithya if she had asked him to do it and she duly replied with a gif “Nooooooooo….” That drama queen! I did an eyeroll before taking Poo with me to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up to the banging door. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Aravind looked sleek in his buff brown tee and blue denims, combing his wet hair to make it look half – ruffled than how it usually is. His long fingers clutching my album as his bracelet rustled. He cleared his throat peeking into the living room, I slid towards the door making way for him. I made tea for both of us as he settled in the couch and switched on the TV. With no words spoken, we finished our tea and I announced “Take Poo for a walk once she is awake, I’ll be back.” I wore his favourite red – white top and matching leggings and strode past the couch. He looked at me awestruck and pulled me by my hip, crawling to my face. I glanced at the album, now laid on the table, he started to mumble when I kissed his delicate eyelids carefully placing a note into his pocket “You stole my heart and I let you. So, let’s ignore the album”. He swept me off my feet, I crinkled my nose as he breathed into my neck. Neither of us wanted to break our moment until my cab driver called. I promised Aravind that we will go meet my family the upcoming Sunday.

Watch out for more!