Fifteen

December 31. Last day of the year. And coincidentally Tom's birthday. No one expected anything out of the ordinary to happen, not even Tom, who had for the first time revealed his birthdate.

But Harry was determined to make this day special for Tom. To show him that he really meant what he said that Christmas morning. To show him what friendship and love was like. People say you can't miss what you never had, so maybe if Tom experienced this emotions, he wouldn't go on the darkest path possible?

Harry truly wanted to get a friendship out of this, not only did he like Tom's personality, but it was glaringly obvious both of them enjoyed spending time together, even if they denied it until their dying breath. Most of the time both boys were oblivious to the way they interacted together, never admitting the pleasantness and stimulation that came with it. It was quite frustrating to watch in James' opinion.

Harry had spent the entire week slipping away from the library sessions he had with Tom, always making sure he had an excuse to leave, and never for long periods of time. He didn't want Tom to suspect anything, it would be a big surprise. Everything he had prepared was going to come to fruition today, after all the hard work he had put into it.

James had helped too. In fact, it was him who guided Harry across the corridors, always getting to the destinations faster, and without being noticed by the few who roamed the castle. Harry wondered how he had gotten to know every nook and cranny of this enormous castle. Maybe he could convince him to help create a map, one that showed every room, passage and aisle. Or even better, one that showed every single person in the castle, present time, that would enable him to avoid detection while sneaking around after curfew.

Anyways, that was beside the point. What mattered is that James had also taken him to the school's kitchens, as bribing the house elves into bringing cinnamon rolls and hot coffee to the common room for breakfast was the very first step of his complicated plan. Step that would put into motion in around half an hour.

Tom was an early riser, as Harry had observed, so he would be up and about at around seven. So naturally, the cinnamon rolls would arrive ten minutes earlier, and preserved warm in the table next to the fireplace, which was, by the way, the place Tom always sat at. The fact that Harry knew cinnamon rolls and black coffee were Tom's favorite was just a coincidence really. Of course he only knew this things out of luck, he didn't make a habit of observing people's routines and likes. Even more so when said person wasn't even his friend.

As for Tom's gift, it had been incredibly difficult to achieve, and it required lots of preparation, but Harry was convinced it was all worth it. Now, he couldn't wait to show him...it was going to be epic. Harry cast a quick nonverbal tempus, all the anticipation wrecking havoc in his system. Just a couple of minutes past seven and it was time, Tom, as if he had an internal clock, woke from his heavy sleep.

Tom, never imagining what was to come, groggily rubbed his eyes, concentrated on placing his serene facade. Nobody ever got to see his mask breaking, only maybe Potter. That boy had the capacity to surprise him when no other could. Sometimes it was infuriating, but most of the time, he found he didn't care, as long as no one could see him do it.

Opening the green curtain from his four poster, he noticed immediately something was off. Potter was not an early riser, sometimes even missing breakfast after waking up late, but now he could clearly see the boy up and about, sporting a grin so big it made him wonder what was so special about today. Hell, not even during the Christmas celebration did he smile that broadly.

"Riddle! Come, there's something you need to see."

Potter had discovered something, it seemed. Maybe that was what had him in such a good mood, who knew. Tom got out of bed and followed Harry to the common room. He only hoped Potter was not this happy because of a stupid creature or something like that.