Seventeen

Tom hated to admit it, but he had grown used to having a green eyed boy with him all day long. And, seriously, now that he was alone in the library during the spare hour before lunch, he couldn't take out of his mind that something was missing. And that something was Harry bloody Potter. It was ridiculous how his presence, or lack of it in this case, was affecting him right now. He could barely concentrate on the text before him, his mind easily wandering toward instances he did not want to think of. Like the place where he felt more vulnerable at, the place he vowed to ignore: the place in his mindscape where he decided to shut the majority of his feelings.

Ever since Christmas day, he had gotten dangerously close to let those emotions flow again, and that was just stupid. He wasn't at Hogwarts to make friends, he was there to learn everything he could, make connections, succeed to be known as the most powerful wizard in the world. But then again, Potter did make a point back in Christmas day, Tom did improve when he spent time with Harry, always paying attention to what the boy was studying so he wouldn't be left behind, just in case they would discuss it later.

Just as he was about to give up on studying, the reason of his lack of concentration waltzed inside the room. Potter was approaching his table with a big grin. And that made Tom mad, because nobody made his Harry grin like that, the fact that he had some Gryffindor friends added insult to the injury. But at the same time, he wished he could put that smile in the boy's face. And wasn't that just strange? Tom was used to possessiveness, that happens when you grow up in an orphanage with little personal belongings. So the fact that he was possessive of Potter wasn't that strange of a thought, after all, the boy was special among the other students at this school. But wanting to make Potter happy? That was just extremely rare, and he couldn't quite pinpoint why he had the urge. Maybe it would go away.

Lost in his thoughts as he was, he barely noticed Potter's arrival. In fact, he missed how Harry had spelled their surrounding space so no one could eavesdrop.

"Riddle, I know it's almost lunch, but I think I found a way to access the restricted books without having to sneak inside."

At this, Tom pinched the bridge of his nose. Of course Potter was going to suggest the legal pathway to get to the book. He was a goody two shoes...for the most part. The fact that he was hatching an illegal and very lethal creature in the castle was definitely not a good example of that. But he guessed the boy's curiosity got the best of him sometimes.

"Potter, we are not asking for permission."

A mischievous glint appeared Harry's eyes.

"Who said anything about asking for permission?"

And that's how Tom noticed the anti eavesdropping spells covering them and the still standing figure of Harry, understanding dawning in his eyes. Potter wanted him to go somewhere. Maybe to discuss the plan, or to just outright show him what he was talking about. Without another word, he picked up his things and exited the library, Harry following suit. When they were about to get to the Great Hall, Harry stopped.

"We should go to the kitchens, get something to eat, and go. We won't be able to make it to lunch."

"Lead the way, Potter."

Tom had never been to the kitchens, not once having the need to. After all, he never missed a meal, knowing all too well that when he had to go away for summer he would certainly miss Hogwarts' food. Harry, on the other hand, had acquired a habit of going to ask for food whenever he was craving something, as the house elves happily gave it to him. But don't get him wrong, Harry also attended each and every meal, knowing better than Tom what starving felt like. 

When they arrived, they asked for simple cheese sandwiches and pumpkin juice, and quickly left. They wanted to get out of there before lunch began, therefore avoiding the majority of students that were heading towards the Great Hall.