6. memories

This chapter's a little angsty.

~[] Peter's pov []~

"Aaaaaand done!" Ned said as he put the last piece of lego on top of the mini SI. We both cheered for a minute while admiring our masterpiece.

"Boys, get to bed! It's 10:45!" Ms. Leeds called from her room. We giggled like little kids while Ned got into his bed and I got into my sleeping bag.

"So, what's it like at SI?"

"Ned, you've asked me this like a hundred-" I couldn't finish the sentence because Ms. Leeds yelled at us to go to sleep again. Ned rolled over to face the wall, and I just stared at the moon through his open window I forgot to close. Within minutes, my eyes started to droop due to the lack of sleep from staying up all night tinkering the last few days. Soon, my consciousness faded away.

~

"Hey mom? Where do you go when you die?" I asked my mother, looking out the window one night. She blinked in surprise, and then smiled sweetly.

"Well, we don't really know. Some people say you get reborn, or go to heaven. Some say you just dissapear." My mother answered, looking out at the night sky beside me.

"I don't wanna dissapear." I said, slightly worried. She laughed a little, and ruffled my hair.

"You're a long way from that, so I wouldn't worry." My mom reasured.

"Wait, where is heaven anyway?" I asked.

"Some people say it's in the sky, above the clouds." She answered, unannoyed by my questioning.

"But... is it past the moon? Because I can debifitly see the moon, but I can't see heaven." I asked, crinkling my nose. Then I gasped, as if I was having an epiphany.

"What if you go to the moon when you die?!" I exclaimed, staring harder at the moon, as if I would be able to see someone on it. I was to busy squinting at the ball of rock to notice my mothers fond smile as she looked at me.

"Mabye." She hummed.

"Dat's how the craters got there!" My mother laughed again, and kissed me on the forehead.

"Alright, your dad already let you stay up really late after giving him the puppy eyes, I think it's about time you went to bed." She said, heading for my doorway. I pulled up my covers, and put my head on my pillow.

"Goodnight, peter."

~

I walked into the kitchen, and saw my aunt and uncle. May was crying, and uncle ben was trying to comfort her. I looked around the room for my parents, but I couldn't see them anywhere. They weren't upstairs either, because that's where I checked efore coming down. It had been a week since my parents left, and they still haven't returned.

"When is mommy coming back?" I asked. May started sobbing harder.

"I'm sorry." She engulfed me in a hug and cried into my shoulder.

"A-Aunt may?" I said, getting worried.

"They're gone Peter." She sobbed. I tilted my head in confusion.