Part Forty Two

I could hardly sleep, I kept trying to imagine how his face would look like. I knew he had kept his face hidden because I would have recognised him as Hausa or Fulani but that was then and he knew it. I just did not know what was so special about revealing his face. I almost did not want to go to church the next morning, but I found my will and went for first service. I never concentrated throughout service. I just knew the time was working against me because it felt like a year before they said the grace.
    I had to stop a cab to take me to Back Gate and I ran all the way to my hostel expecting to see him in my room. But there was no Ghost, just a beautiful white flared gown on my bed with a thick paper jotter and a paper. I picked the paper.
“Read what is in the jotter, very important” was written in capital letter.
There was no direction, no feeling of his presence, just the flared gown and the jotter. I felt very disappointed because he was taking this too far but I had no option but to open the jotter.
“I had to write this for you to read. Before you see my face, you have to know me” was written on the first page.
I sat down on my bed and opened the next page.
“An Intel came from Stud, a Special Force Air Force officer on undercover as a police officer that your life was in danger. Wild appointed me to keep you safe but I refused because I felt I would fail again same way I failed your family. Everybody agreed with me and Wild lost through vote and Jason was given the mission. But Wild called me and told me he knew I was somehow still struggling with the memory of your family’s death, my first mission failure. He had helped debrief me and he knew I was still struggling to get over it. He said protecting you would be the best debriefing I could ever get because now I had the chance to redeem myself and I would feel worse if you get killed under Jason’s watch. He told me I could do it, he convinced me that your family died not because I was late, and I wouldn’t have given them justice if I was not in your dad’s office that night. I was not even supposed to work that night, I just wanted to bug Barrister Omakor’s office, that is, your dad. I discovered your dad’s client’s plot and swung into action but they were already dead by then. Wild was able to convince me to take the mission and I agreed.
    You were just a subject I was watching from a distance and the DPO had gained your trust by arresting fake assassins. But I had to get involved when the DPO changed tactics after getting a tip that Special Force was now involved. My mission was simply to keep you safe and find a way to retrieve the file from you, there was nothing important about you until that first contact. I had never felt that way with any girl before, it was both intoxicating and distorting because I had series of headache and flashbacks. I felt a very powerful pull towards you and it was making me lose focus. I had to investigate more about you but nothing struck as special except the picture of your grandma which gave me headaches, then your childhood pictures made me feel someone was hammering my head. I wanted to talk to Wild but I could not because he could not help before then, he said no matter how he tried to help restore my memory, it was not just working except I knew my parents were dead and I knew there was something I must remember, I also knew I was Hausa and Fulani because I could speak both languages fluently. That was how far Wild could go and any more attempt knocked me out for days. He said it was almost like something was blocking me from retrieving my memory, a very bad event which my brain was protecting me from.
I know you must be confused about the memory stuff, exactly how I had been confused for long. I had woken up on a wood in the bush with just a nicker and a bead on my hand.”
I paused, I was too tensed to continue, my brain was screaming I was thinking too far. I wanted to jump to the ending but I forced myself to continue reading.