15

That ache in my throat is as prominent as when I first woke when I turned. It feels as if I haven't fed in a long time. That animalistic instinct is ready to kick into predator gear and hunt whatever I can find for however long as I can.

   I let my tongue slip past my fangs to dampen my horribly chapped lips before forcing my eyes open. I instantly hiss out while shielding them. This is when I notice that I am laying on my stomach instead of my back. Where am I?

"Vanya?" Haven whispers. I snap my head to the left seeing her watch me carefully. Her eyes are wide, almost like she's scared. Is she scared of me or for me? I push myself up in a sitting position almost instantly regretting it as a burning sensation runs down my back. My back aches like hell as a small pain of hiss shredders out. "You should lay back down. Vanya-"

"I'm thirsty," I hiss at her flashing my fangs. My voice sounded horrible. It's hoarse and weak. "I'm so thirsty."

"As one would be."

   I snap my head to the right seeing Prince Cassius standing in the doorway with Uther standing behind him. "I am not in the mood for your bullshit," I snap.

"Is that the way to speak to someone who is bringing you food?" He retorts with a sly smile. I look back at a worried Uther. I glance back over at Haven who looks like she may pass out. Seems as if neither of them are going to give me answers or food.

  Ignoring the pain in my back I slowly set my feet on the ground and stand. I swear her eyes get five times bigger as she jumps up and rushes over to me. "Stop looking at me like that. I'm perfectly fine, I just need to fucking eat."

  I hear Cassius chuckle while Uther slips past him and grabs my arm. Uther makes me sit back on the bed with a cold expression on his face. "How can you be so stupid Vanya? We told you that you can't be in sunlight, that it's forbidden and that's for your safety," he scolds.

"I run purely off of my instincts Uther, my instincts said protect the little boy, rules be damned," I snap back unsure as to why he is so angry. I then snort out some laughter. "I highly doubt the Emperor will execute or punish me because I saved his child."

"She has a point," Haven mutters in which Cassius agrees with.

I can hear slight shuffling before a man walks in with the blue haired witch behind him. The throb in my throat seems to intensify as my eyes zero in on the witches neck. A low, predatory sound vibrates in my chest before my legs move. There's a loud shriek before someone wraps their arms around me and pulls me away from her. "How about we feed her before the mortal enters the room, yeah?" Prince Cassius grunts out while he restrains me.

  Caitlyn sends me a sad look before leaving and a young woman enters taking her place. Cassius releases me and I instantly bring her down to my height and sink my teeth into her neck. Once I'm finished with her I let her lifeless body drop to the ground before returning to my bed to sit.

I still don't feel a hundred percent but I feel a bit better. My back and throat doesn't burn as bad. Uther calls for Caitlyn to come back and I am able to restrain myself despite the urge to rip her throat out. To feel the rush of her blood down my throat. My eyes zero in on her pulse watching the slight throb of the blood rushing.

Stop it Vanya.

  I blink a few times to pull myself out of the odd trance I am in. The sound of someone clearing their throat has me snapping my attention to Cassius who is watching me rather intently. "Speak."

"Well, the doctor and I worked together to insure that Vanya would survive," Caitlyn states while going to a cabinet.

  The doctor smiles at me. "I'm Doctor Kevin, I normally don't worked with turned vampires so this has been very exciting. Vanya will make a steady recovery, she will need an abundance of blood though. It will help her heal quickly and it must be fresh so I suggest you go to town and let her hunt."

"So just feed her and she'll be better?" Uther asks glancing towards the prince than the doctor.

"Caitlyn will coat her back with her mixture one last time and she should be good to go. The burns were severe but with how everyone responded rather quickly to her being exposed the scarring won't be that bad."

"Won't be that bad?" I ask snapping my gaze to him.

"That's what I said-"

"I've never scarred before, I shouldn't now," I snap trying to look over my shoulder to see the burn. All my life I have never really scarred up before why would I now? I mean sure busting open your leg when you're eight is different than having your skin burned off but still. I had nine stitches in my leg and you can't even tell it's there.

"Vanya, you are lucky to be growing skin back at all with how severe those burns were. It won't be that bad."

"I want to see it," I snap at him.

"I don't think-"

"I said I want to see it now!" I yell at him. His eyes widen as he takes a step back from me and towards Uther.

"I have to put this on anyway," Caitlyn says holding up a jar. I narrow my eyes at the doctor while standing up on my weak legs. I ignore everyone watching me as I walk over to a mirror  and wait for her to pull the white gauze off my back. I meet her dark eyes in the mirror, it seems as if she's trying to make things seem better. "It May sting when I take the bandage off and put this on."

"Just take it off."

   I ignore everyone watching me while I bite my lip. She starts to peel off the bandage which hurts like hell. "It's off, are you sure you want to see?"

  I answer by looking back in the mirror. I dig my fangs deeper into my lip as I take in the horrid sight. My back is blistered. It reminds me of the horrible concoction my mother called soup. It's angry and red and oozing. It is like a horror scene of where someone was dropped into a vault of acid and it makes my stomach feel unsettled. I can tell where the skin has healed on the edges because the milky white skin is now marred with pink like scars one would get by touching a pan. You can even see where it is slowly healing itself. I tear my gaze away holding back the urge to throw something so that she may put her stuff on my back. I bite my tongue waiting for her to finish.

  Whatever she is putting on my back makes it feel numb. "Vanya," Uther says but I narrow my eyes at him in response.

"If you say something sappy like you will always be beautiful to me daughter or some shit like that I'm snapping your neck because a bubbly back is not beautiful."

"The blisters will go away. Your back will look like the parts that have been healed," doctor Kevin squeaks out.

"So my entire back will be looking like someone laid a hot poker on every inch of it? There's nothing you can do for that?"

"I'm afraid not."

  I snarl at him and take a step forward only to have Cassius stick his arm out in front of me. "When you calm down we will be leaving for town. I'm sure I can get Liv to lend you a shirt or a dress that won't be tight on your back."

"Excuse you?"

"I'm making sure you get fed because you're a bitch when you're hungry," he  says smirking at me. I hold back all the comments that want to go out but it's purely because this man is the prince and I'm sure calling him not so nice names is not the best thing to do. "Take a deep breath and calm down."

  I nod my head watching him walk out of the room a bit confused.