19

Gavril crosses his arms while watching me do pull-ups. His gaze is critical and he is clearly looking for something. It's like he expects me to just outright say I had a secret gift or something.

I let go of the bar while looking him in the eyes. "Emperor Kronos-"

"Hasn't made a decision. He is still reviewing your memory."

"Gavril," I say pleadingly. "I didn't know. You must believe me on that. You did take up for me after all."

"I do but it's rather hard to believe this is all on accident," he shoots back with a narrow gaze. I roll my eyes while wrapping my arms around me.

  I sit on the ground while rubbing at my neck. After the memory feeding everything else was a blur. I was given blood and sent back to my room. They said the Emperor would call for me when he has reached decision and to tell no one. "I know this looks bad," I whisper picking at the mat.

"Vanya, you have instincts that far surpass what they should be. I have only encountered one other first born and he was remarkable."

"Who were they?"

"A man by the name of Oxford. He was much like you, instinctual. Oxford was not a man you would want to cross."

"Was?" I whisper looking up at him.

"No one has seen him in years." Gavril admits as the door opens.

Marco smiles at me before doing an over dramatic bow. "Bella guerriera, la tua scorta è qui," he says winking at me.

"D'Orsi, stop trying to taint my student," Gavril playfully scolds watching as Marco holds his hand out to me. I let him help me up.

"The Emperor awaits," he says with a heavy accent that I didn't hear last night. I look at him confused as he leads me out of the room. "Before you ask, the accent is real, I'm Italian, I've just learned to speak American like if I want girls to stop asking me to read them poetry."

  I roll my eyes while giving him a soft laugh. "You mean all these girls?" I ask pointing to the empty halls.

"Oh haha," he replies sarcastically while putting his arm through mine. "I mean the ladies you'll have to beat back once you are appointed my second in command. I will be general once Cassius is Emperor while Gavril will be appointed as lord and historian of war."

"Your second in command? Man, I didn't even know you were a warrior," I laugh bumping my shoulder into his.

"Well, my tesorina, I am. I'm the best there is and I only get a few days at a time with Gavril. You're special," he says poking my nose. I narrow my eyes at him but he just smiles in response.

"Well according to our prince I'm only special enough to be wife of one of his friends," I shoot back rolling my eyes.

Marco shrugs. "I can imagine it. Me and you bloody on the battlefield, kissing over our victory!" He says while throwing a hand to the sky. "Just as the way Marragada wills it. I dig it."

"That's not going to happen," I laugh smiling once again. Marco seems to have a way to get me to forget my problems.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that Lady Vanya. I might just sweep you off your feet," he says. My feet are off the ground in a second as he scoops me into his arms. I quickly wrap my arms around his neck while letting out another laugh.

"Marco, put me down!"

"A lady like you should never have to walk," he jokes. I shake my head while looking up at him. I reach up touching his dominant cheekbones letting my hand trail down to his strong jawbone and widely rounded chin. His skin is soft, hardly any stubble, and tan.